Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Awning rail for Alphard

Hi,me  again.About fixing awning rail.My alphard has a pop top roof.I hav new awning with magnetic awning rail have not tried out yet.this is the thing everyone who has tried a magnetic rail say they are useless,I cannot fix a permenant rail on roof there is not room because of poptop.cannot fix aliminium permenant rail as would not be able to open door.Hope i have made myself clear.would appreciat advice.bottom line, is there a alternative to a magnetic rail.By the way thank you all so much for earlier help on subject.

9 hours ago, philip klein said:

Hi,me  again.About fixing awning rail.My alphard has a pop top roof.I hav new awning with magnetic awning rail have not tried out yet.this is the thing everyone who has tried a magnetic rail say they are useless,I cannot fix a permenant rail on roof there is not room because of poptop.cannot fix aliminium permenant rail as would not be able to open door.Hope i have made myself clear.would appreciat advice.bottom line, is there a alternative to a magnetic rail.By the way thank you all so much for earlier help on subject.

Other people have fitted the rail onto the roof so that when the poptop is down the rail is under the edge of the top, you may have to trim the flat part of the rail to miss the brackets of the poptop, the magnetic rails will not stay put when it gets windy

If you find my previous posts ref. fitting an awning rail,I explain in great detail how to fit a rail together with details of the type and sizes of rail I fitted. I know many members "glued" down the rail, but I glued and screwed[with stainless self tappers]. Modern adhesives are fine, but do deteriorate with time and temperature variations. We did try the magnetic method but found it difficult to slide the joining strips into place and never felt confident with strong winds.

21 hours ago, philip klein said:

Hi, I used magnetic strips to pin the awning to the roof. Mine were from the middle of LIDL and sold as tool magnets for hanging your tools on a garage wall. It is a bit awkward to twist round to attach them on top of the awning. However at, I think, £6 each it's worth a go. But you know what they say about the middle in LIDL.......... , but other places must sell similar items