Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Full Major Service + - Costings and Advice

Hi all, 

I bought my 2008 Vellfire a few weeks ago (circa 50,000 miles), and although it has been serviced once in the UK upon import I am looking to go full belt and braces before some long distance summer driving. 

I have contacted my local Toyota garage to price up a full service + extras -see below - the question is, A) Would you, or did you do something similar? B) what is overkill, and C) are these prices high? 

Full Major Service £468 INC VAT. 

Extras 

Gearbox oil change- £135.88 

Brake service – fluid changed and everything else checked and replaced if needed.- INC in Service
Alternator belt and water pump  - £1072.29

Spark plugs & ignition coils - £1450.27

Air conditioning service / re-gas- £130

Many thanks, 

Edited by RXtoAL

8 hours ago, RXtoAL said:

Hi all, 

I bought my 2008 Vellfire a few weeks ago (circa 50,000 miles), and although it has been serviced once in the UK upon import I am looking to go full belt and braces before some long distance summer driving. 

I have contacted my local Toyota garage to price up a full service + extras -see below - the question is, A) Would you, or did you do something similar? B) what is overkill, and C) are these prices high? 

Full Major Service £468 INC VAT. 

Extras 

Gearbox oil change- £135.88 

Brake service – fluid changed and everything else checked and replaced if needed.- INC in Service
Alternator belt and water pump  - £1072.29

Spark plugs & ignition coils - £1450.27

Air conditioning service / re-gas- £130

Many thanks, 

Hi Sam,

Consider yourself lucky that your local Toyota dealer will service the car, many won't.

Service price seems reasonable, imho.

Good gearbox oil is not cheap, cost should include an oil filter too.

The  alternator belt and water pump cost seems high. Doesn't include cam belt as you don't have one.

My guess is you should not need chains, and it would be even more expensive

Regas sounds high too. depends what is included. Gas (only) should be 50 pounds or less; maybe cabin pollen filter too ?

Spark plugs are cheap, coils less so, but you only have four. Seems pricey.

Much of the work could be done elsewhere, unless you want to maintain a full Toyota Service History

Sounds normal. My local Toyota garage serviced the car but it cost me a fortune after all the 'extras'. Glad I got the car checked by an official garage but I'm going elsewhere next time for sure.

Edited by arthurj

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that the service would have included the spark plugs especially if it includes the brake oil change.

The rest seems expensive apart from the gearbox oil change.

I agree with Rojie that a lot of dealers are hesitant to service imports for some reason. You can guarantee that they will pull up other things on the Alphard to make more money. 

The gearbox oil change sounds very cheap as I purchased the oil for around £60 discounted. I did all my own work when I brought my Alphard as I wanted to make sure everything was done right.

The dealer I brought it from had the brakes/discs and the infamous rear bushes changed before I picked it up.