Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Remote Key Fob frequency for 2004 Petro 2.4L

Karl C

Greetings from Melbourne Australia!

TL;DR: Can anyone confirm the remote frequency (or FCC ID) and the transponder chip for a 2004 Petro 2.4L model?

Hello! I bought a Japan-import 2004 Alphard Petro 2.4L, but it came with only one 2-button key (see picture below). I am trying to get a spare key made. The local dealership said they couldn't help; besides, it would cost an arm and a leg to get the genuine part. So I am trying to match up the remote frequency and the transponder chip to order one on Aliexpress. The existing remote module has a 58040 part number on it. As far as I could find out, I think the remote frequency is 314MHz or 315MHz from various sources, and the transponder chip is a "4C" [source]. So I purchased one on Aliexpress (I got the 315MHz/4C model), but after I got it, I could neither program the doors nor the transponder chip using the typical methods (i.e. insert the key and open and close the door in various sequence). I am hoping the community here could help to confirm a few things:

As far as the transponder goes, I want to confirm that:

1. "4C" is the correct chip
  2. I can program it myself by doing a door-and-key sequence or with Techstream (I already ordered the cable from Aliexpress)

For the remote door lock/unlock, I want to confirm/ask that:

1. What FCC ID does the remote have?
  2. or: What frequency does the remote use?
  3. Is 314MHz and 315MHz actually different?

Thank you in advance. I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this community :) 

Picture of the original key and the module inside. I know, the key shell broke and my wife tried to super-glue it back together. That was a mistake🤦‍♂️. Now I cannot replace the battery when it eventually dies.

image.thumb.jpeg.2bf016d6b004359ac193bb67f6cd2a56.jpeg

8 hours ago, Karl C said:

Greetings from Melbourne Australia!

TL;DR: Can anyone confirm the remote frequency (or FCC ID) and the transponder chip for a 2004 Petro 2.4L model?

Hello! I bought a Japan-import 2004 Alphard Petro 2.4L, but it came with only one 2-button key (see picture below). I am trying to get a spare key made. The local dealership said they couldn't help; besides, it would cost an arm and a leg to get the genuine part. So I am trying to match up the remote frequency and the transponder chip to order one on Aliexpress. The existing remote module has a 58040 part number on it. As far as I could find out, I think the remote frequency is 314MHz or 315MHz from various sources, and the transponder chip is a "4C" [source]. So I purchased one on Aliexpress (I got the 315MHz/4C model), but after I got it, I could neither program the doors nor the transponder chip using the typical methods (i.e. insert the key and open and close the door in various sequence). I am hoping the community here could help to confirm a few things:

As far as the transponder goes, I want to confirm that:

1. "4C" is the correct chip
  2. I can program it myself by doing a door-and-key sequence or with Techstream (I already ordered the cable from Aliexpress)

For the remote door lock/unlock, I want to confirm/ask that:

1. What FCC ID does the remote have?
  2. or: What frequency does the remote use?
  3. Is 314MHz and 315MHz actually different?

Thank you in advance. I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this community :) 

Picture of the original key and the module inside. I know, the key shell broke and my wife tried to super-glue it back together. That was a mistake🤦‍♂️. Now I cannot replace the battery when it eventually dies.

image.thumb.jpeg.2bf016d6b004359ac193bb67f6cd2a56.jpeg

Hello Karl,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a Gen 2 facelift, i.e not hhe same as yours, and had to get an Auto Locksmith to program my spare keys.

Techstream may do it.

Most people report that the diy method does not normally work.

Hi @Rojie, thank for your reply. I will report back once I got the Techstream cable and be able to give it a go at programming the transponder/immobiliser.

I am still on a quest to get the remote door lock/unlock to work. It does seem like others had some success like in this post and this post, which led me to believe that if I only know what the correct frequency is for a 2004, I should be able to find one on Aliexpress and program it rather easily. My next step may be getting a digital frequency tester like this one for AU$40 (~£25) after having a look at this YouTube video featuring it. Meanwhile, if anyone has a 2004 Petro 2.4L, I would very much appreciate it if you have any information about its frequency.

Thanks so much :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing Techstream on a Windows 10 virtual machine running on my Intel MacBook Pro. Bottomline: It did not work. I got an error message as shown below.

DIRE WARNING: If you buy a cheap mini VCI cable from Aliexpress or Ebay and try to do the same, the Techstream software, the mini VCI cable driver, and/or the Launcher software that come with cable is ALMOST GUARANTEED TO BE CARRYING A COMPUTER VIRUS! Do NOT install any of the Techstream software or driver directly on to your Windows laptop. Instead, download VirtualBox and install Windows 10 from Microsoft and create a virtual machine (VM); then install the Techstream software into VM. Also make sure that you turn off all networking on the VM so that the virus is contained in the VM only, and it cannot infect anything that live in your home network. 

image.thumb.png.ba02f77921e5df37ea9a1ea8cad6caf8.png

A few things that I want to note for others who may stumble across this post:

1. The transponder chip that I need according to transpondery.com is a 4C, and that's what I ordered from Aliexpress. But the chip has no marking on it whatsoever, so I cannot really be sure that I do have a 4C chip shipped to me.
  2. All the YouTube videos I have watched says not to turn the ignition switch to ON when I insert the new key, but the error message above says to turn the ignition switch to ON. I tried it both ways and neither way worked.
  3. I had to select the "Japan" region when initially setting up the Techstream software. I tried changing it to other regions (e.g. Europe or America), the software failed to detect the model of the vehicle.

I am starting to research the XHorse VVDI mini key tool, so that I can confirm the remote frequency as well as the actual transponder chip that is in my one-and-only functioning key. The total cost of the project is getting to be surpassing what it would have costed had I just gone to an automotive locksmith to begin with. But then, where's the fun in that?

Edited by Karl C

On 3/19/2023 at 9:39 AM, Karl C said:

I just tried asking ChatGPT, it says I need a 4D-67 transponder!

image.thumb.png.aa163b9ab388b6a84939a1345d7a1a03.png

I was under the impression the 4D67 chip was introduced on the Gen 1 facelift, as was not 'fitted' to the early Gen 1 machines.

I expect Chris.ac can confirm, or refute, this.

11 hours ago, Rojie said:

I was under the impression the 4D67 chip was introduced on the Gen 1 facelift, as was not 'fitted' to the early Gen 1 machines.

I expect Chris.ac can confirm, or refute, this.

I was under the same impression as well, and transpondery.com says the 2003-2005 models use the 4C chip. I have ordered another 433MHz/4D67 module from AliExpress for AUD$18. When it arrives in a week or two, I will try it out and report back. 🤞

• 1 month later...

It's been a while. I finally got the 4D67 chip a while back. Disappointingly, that didn't work either. I got the same error as shown in the above screenshot. Now I am not sure whether any of the following is a problem:

1. The 4D67 chip is defective
  2. The 4C chip is defective
  3. The Mini VCI cable is defective
  4. The (obviously cracked and pirated) TechStream software is broken by the hack
  5. Who knows what else

Rojie said @Chris.ac may be able to shed some light on whether a 2004 uses the 4C or 4D67 chip. Would you be able to help, Chris? Thanks in advance.

Less of a problem is that the remotes for the door do not work either. I have both a 315MHz and a 433MHz module, but neither worked. I was able to put it into programming mode, but the remotes just won't register.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any updates @Karl C? My 2005 (just a month or two pre-facelift) 3.0L came with only one cracked FOB, and one solid key. The transponder doesn't have any markings on it from what I can see, so I'm at a loss for exactly what I need. Have you had ANY luck at all?

9 hours ago, SvenOfTheWoods said:

Any updates @Karl C? My 2005 (just a month or two pre-facelift) 3.0L came with only one cracked FOB, and one solid key. The transponder doesn't have any markings on it from what I can see, so I'm at a loss for exactly what I need. Have you had ANY luck at all?

Hello Sven,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully Karl will see this and provide an update.

The 4D67 chip is unlikely to work for you.

I read about all the hassle some owners get with the DIY approach.

I bought two blanks from Aliexpress, or Alibaba, I cannot remember, and had an auto locksmith do all the cutting, programming and cloning.

He did need a master key.

All done in 15 minutes, no hassle, worked first time and ever since.

Not cheap but, imho, very worthwhile.

I now have three sets plus the valet key.

Thanks for the reply Roger!

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion the 4D67 won't work for me either. It's so frustrating considering I was able to go the full DIY approach for my USDM 2003 4Runner. In that case, my local auto locksmith wasn't able to do any of the programming and instead referred me to the dealership (which would have been in the range of $200-300 per key). Fortunately, on the 4Runner both the FOB and the transponder were clearly marked as to their frequency/model type, so doing a DIY job was rather easy.

With regards to the Alphard, my local Toyota just took one look at it...laughed...and said "yeah, we don't work on those", and I don't believe the auto locksmith will be any better given our previous encounter...

Still hoping for a reasonable DIY method here! :)

Hi @SvenOfTheWoods, unfortunately I have had no luck with either the 4C or the 4D67 chips. Frankly, I have kind of given up.

According to @MonsterS above, my problem may have been the fact that I was using a virtual machine for Techstream. I only have Macs so I am not able to try a physical Windows machine... 🤔... unless I use a USB thumb drive to boot up Windows natively on my Mac... 🤔... I may try that when I have some spare time.

The other part of my original post is about the remote frequency for the doors. Have you had any success in programming the doors? If so, can you confirm what frequency it is (315MHz, 433MHz, or otherwise)?

Lastly, I promise I will report back here if I have any success on any front. Good luck to anyone who stumble across this thread.

@Karl C the only way is aphysical machine as a vm does not always pass everything through as needed.

I remeber my daughters Toyota Aygo being  a 433mhz but if you take a key to any key shop that cuts them and they could tell you what transponder frequency it is.