Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Secondary wing mirror?

8 hours ago, Alasdair said:

Not picking up our Alphard until the 2nd April but wondering what this is circled in the photo.

mirror.JPG

They are not particularly easy to use.

Front cameras are more useful, if you have one.

• Like 1

I'm at work offshore India and have not seen our Alphard up close and personal yet but will when i get back home on the 30th of this month then pick up the van on the 2nd April. Cycle mirror certainly makes sense right enough. 

1 hour ago, Alasdair said:

I'm at work offshore India and have not seen our Alphard up close and personal yet but will when i get back home on the 30th of this month then pick up the van on the 2nd April. Cycle mirror certainly makes sense right enough. 

Hi Alasdair,

It isn't a cycle mirror.

You will never see a cyclist in it unless you have run over them !

There is another recent thread about this.

It is a kerb and front bumper mirror.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mary999 said:

I was told by my dealer that its a cycle mirror, apparently they are mandatory in Japan (so you don't squash a cyclist). 😊

Rubbish.

And they are not mandatory, as most Alphies do not have them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rojie said:

Hi Alasdair,

It isn't a cycle mirror.

You will never see a cyclist in it unless you have run over them !

There is another recent thread about this.

It is a kerb and front bumper mirror.

Thanks Rojie, I'll find out at the end of the month if our van has one of them still fitted. They certainly look odd anyway that's for sure

1 hour ago, Alasdair said:

Thanks Rojie, I'll find out at the end of the month if our van has one of them still fitted. They certainly look odd anyway that's for sure

They are a conversation piece. I have one and have no idea what to use it for.

• Haha 1

If we do end up having one on the van and once I am sitting in the driver's seat - and I'm really excited about that - I'll see what the deal is and what can or can't be seen with it. 😄🤔

Your comments about these mirrors take me back many years when teaching Motor Vehicle Studies to Years 10,11 and 6th Form. I had on VHS Tape a BBC program about parking in Japanese cities which always fascinated the students. If you lived in a city and wanted a car, you couldn't buy one until you had an authorised parking space. The film was quite funny as once you had found a suitable space, a permit was applied for and a little man turned up on a push bike and took the appropriate measurements. If the size was suitable for the car you wanted to purchase, a permit was issued and you could purchase your new car. I can't remember which city it was filmed in, but so obvious parking was at a premium.

The next restriction was that everyone who owned a car was only allowed to keep it for a certain number of years when it had to be replaced with a new one. The "old" usually immaculate vehicle was either scrapped or moved into grey exports, hence our Alphards. Japanese motor cycles were also on the same scheme.

The point of this little tale is that the extra wing mirror was especially useful for getting your vehicle into very! confined parking spaces.

Several years ago I had a grey import Australian spec. Toyota Hylux which had one of the extra wing mirrors[it also had an Altimeter??]. If anyone knows where I could get this VHS onto disc, I would "dig" it out of where ever it's stored?

• Thanks 1

Love that. Large Tesco stores usually have someone there doing it. If not send it to me and I can get it done at my local Tesco.

Plus I lived in New Zealand for a while. When I went out in 1985 there were ONLY Holden's. Then some bright spark got onto the Japanese having to replace their cars, suddenly every other home owned a Japenes Import. That was why I had qualms about buying one here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, starider said:

Your comments about these mirrors take me back many years when teaching Motor Vehicle Studies to Years 10,11 and 6th Form. I had on VHS Tape a BBC program about parking in Japanese cities which always fascinated the students. If you lived in a city and wanted a car, you couldn't buy one until you had an authorised parking space. The film was quite funny as once you had found a suitable space, a permit was applied for and a little man turned up on a push bike and took the appropriate measurements. If the size was suitable for the car you wanted to purchase, a permit was issued and you could purchase your new car. I can't remember which city it was filmed in, but so obvious parking was at a premium.

The next restriction was that everyone who owned a car was only allowed to keep it for a certain number of years when it had to be replaced with a new one. The "old" usually immaculate vehicle was either scrapped or moved into grey exports, hence our Alphards. Japanese motor cycles were also on the same scheme.

The point of this little tale is that the extra wing mirror was especially useful for getting your vehicle into very! confined parking spaces.

Several years ago I had a grey import Australian spec. Toyota Hylux which had one of the extra wing mirrors[it also had an Altimeter??]. If anyone knows where I could get this VHS onto disc, I would "dig" it out of where ever it's stored?

I have seen them on other Toyota vehicles, mainly 4 x 4 s.

On 3/16/2023 at 2:06 PM, Alasdair said:

Not picking up our Alphard until the 2nd April but wondering what this is circled in the photo.

mirror.JPG

Hi. I have a 2008 Vellfire with one of these mirrors. From the drivers seat the top half looks, believe it or not, down the front of the car. The bottom half looks down the side and at the kerb 

I doesntblook as though it should work, but it does!

John Harrison

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Harrison said:

Hi. I have a 2008 Vellfire with one of these mirrors. From the drivers seat the top half looks, believe it or not, down the front of the car. The bottom half looks down the side and at the kerb 

I doesntblook as though it should work, but it does!

John Harrison

Still not got clarification on whether ours will have this mirror or not...but I will find out in just over a week's time when I return from working offshore India.

Thanks for the information and yeah it definitely sounds like it shouldn't work but obviously does 😄