Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Retractable wing mirrors

Hi guys n gals would appreciate any input on this one b4 I splash out on a new wing mirror

I've got a 2003 2.4 Gspec when I press the button to fold in the mirrors only the passenger side folds in there is power to the drivers side as you can adjust the mirror would it be a complete wing mirror replacement or can you buy the motor or is it just not worth the hassle going down the motor route

Thanks matt

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2021 at 5:53 PM, Matthew spencer said:

Hi guys n gals would appreciate any input on this one b4 I splash out on a new wing mirror

I've got a 2003 2.4 Gspec when I press the button to fold in the mirrors only the passenger side folds in there is power to the drivers side as you can adjust the mirror would it be a complete wing mirror replacement or can you buy the motor or is it just not worth the hassle going down the motor route

Thanks matt

Hello Matt,

Old post, but did you find a solution? 

I have the same issue. Can hear the motor working for a small time.

Thanks Adam 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdamjG said:

Hello Matt,

Old post, but did you find a solution? 

I have the same issue. Can hear the motor working for a small time.

Thanks Adam 

Hello. I have this problem as well but with the passenger side. The fact that you can hear the motor working indicates that the fault is in the motor mechanism. I found a video on YouTube that showed a broken plastic cog in the mechanism. My local Alphard experts, Funky Ram, at Avonmouth, said they could get a mirror from Toyota with the right mechanism and cannibalise it. This would cost just under £200, but with fitting this would be near £400. I don't think you can just source the relevant cog. I wish I knew which mirror would have the right bits in.

I wonder if anyone else has successfully cured this problem?

Myron

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hello. I have this problem as well but with the passenger side. The fact that you can hear the motor working indicates that the fault is in the motor mechanism. I found a video on YouTube that showed a broken plastic cog in the mechanism. My local Alphard experts, Funky Ram, at Avonmouth, said they could get a mirror from Toyota with the right mechanism and cannibalise it. This would cost just under £200, but with fitting this would be near £400. I don't think you can just source the relevant cog. I wish I knew which mirror would have the right bits in.

I wonder if anyone else has successfully cured this problem?

Myron

Hi Myron,

I think my issue is mechanical too, probably a broken cog.

You can buy the motor assembly but it's £60-£90 plus delivery from Japan.

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/alphard/1-van-3-right-h10-2005-r-3124/electrics-4/mirror-394

I'm going to remove the mirror and hopefully remove broken cog. There seems to be repair kits for other vehicles which replacement cogs are in metal.

Seems such a waste to replace a whole unit when it's just a small cog!

58 minutes ago, AdamjG said:

Hello Adam

You've done some good research. There are numerous choices, which one is right. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and strip it down some time.

31 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hello Adam

You've done some good research. There are numerous choices, which one is right. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and strip it down some time.

Yes indeed. Pulling it apart seems the only way.

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hello Adam

I decided to strip down the mirror assembly today.

Here's a few pictures. It motor unit certainly wasn't designed to come apart - the top cap was glued on! Made a bit of a mess of the plastic casing.

All cogs were fine, but the electric motor wasn't very free. I flushed it through with WD 40.

Once I put it all back together and plugged it in, the folding mirror moved slightly then stopped, almost like it was jambing or the motor wasn't up to the job.

Oh well, I 'might' see if I can get a replacement motor or I will just order a new mechanism.... 

Worth a shot 🙂

IMG_20230115_134922.jpg

IMG_20230115_134325.jpg

IMG_20230115_133832.jpg

IMG_20230115_133344.jpg

IMG_20230115_110920.jpg

29 minutes ago, Picasso said:

And its free postage going to order 2 these are handed so make sure you buy the correct side

Good stuff. Will order one of each for when the other packs up!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, 

finally got round to swapping the motor in the drivers wing mirror.

all sorted now! Works a treat 🙂.

Also, @Picasso and @charliebrown the measurements for the unit were 73mm wide, and the base was 31mm wide. I’ll post the photos.

97224B95-7D5D-4CA2-A44E-C88C355D832E.jpeg

629F8C12-0331-4BB4-9597-187B896ECEEA.jpeg

Edited by AdamjG
  • Like 1