Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Orange engine warning light

Just had my 2003 Alphard 2.4 in for MOT. Passed but it’s been sat on drive for six months idle (just with trickle charge) and a few issues have appeared.

- Red oil light comes on, goes off and a lot of the time flickers quickly on/off/on/off. Oil is clear and at full. Ordered a new switch in case that’s issue.

- Orange engine management light comes on after short drive. Does go off temporarily when vehicle has stopped but comes back.

Any ideas? Especially given it’s been sat idle.

Thanks all,

Oli

Hello  Oli

When I had the orange engine management light come on on last car, 2000 W reg Estima I was told the O2 sensor needed replacing. So I had it done. End of problem. It sorted out my problem, never had that again. It may be something else but it was an easy fix.

Good Luck

Michael

Mine comes on if I drive round with the wing mirrors folded in, so could be all sorts of things...

Plugging an ecu scanner in should tell you more. On other cars I've used a cheap ODB to USB cable and a laptop but never managed to get it to work with the Alphard. Could be worth trying if you're reasonably IT savvy, or if not get a garage to run a diagnostic.

Edited by Neil_c

13 hours ago, Oli said:

Just had my 2003 Alphard 2.4 in for MOT. Passed but it’s been sat on drive for six months idle (just with trickle charge) and a few issues have appeared.

- Red oil light comes on, goes off and a lot of the time flickers quickly on/off/on/off. Oil is clear and at full. Ordered a new switch in case that’s issue.

- Orange engine management light comes on after short drive. Does go off temporarily when vehicle has stopped but comes back.

Any ideas? Especially given it’s been sat idle.

Thanks all,

Oli

You need to get it scanned for the fault code. Any brand of scanner with the JOBD protocol will do, ordinary obd will not work. Once you have the code google it to see what the cause is, most likely is an 02 sensor but there are 2

On 4/12/2023 at 10:56 PM, Oli said:

Red oil light comes on

The red light is oil pressure warning rather than oil level. You could have full oil but low pressure due to oil pump failure for example. I wouldn't drive it any further until you've confirmed it is the pressure sensor.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:56 PM, Oli said:

Orange engine management light comes on after short drive. Does go off temporarily when vehicle has stopped but comes back.

When you say "go off" you mean after you've cycled the ignition? The MIL, once illuminated, should not extinguish by itself unless you cycle the ignition. If the fault still remains it will come back on.

23 hours ago, Neil_c said:

Mine comes on if I drive round with the wing mirrors folded in, so could be all sorts of things...

Plugging an ecu scanner in should tell you more. On other cars I've used a cheap ODB to USB cable and a laptop but never managed to get it to work with the Alphard. Could be worth trying if you're reasonably IT savvy, or if not get a garage to run a diagnostic.

Most Toyota garages can do a diagnostic on Alphards and Vellfires. My local dealer(Johnstons Toyota, Wallasey) has been very helpful with all my enquiries.

John Harrison (2008 Vellfire), Wallasey, Wirral.

Thanks all, this is helpful. I think the issue was just that it had been idle for six months though because after a few days of driving short distances the lights all went off and stayed off on a long 250 mile drive from Kent to Yorkshire so I'm hoping that was all it was!

1 minute ago, Oli said:

Thanks all, this is helpful. I think the issue was just that it had been idle for six months though because after a few days of driving short distances the lights all went off and stayed off on a long 250 mile drive from Kent to Yorkshire so I'm hoping that was all it was!

Good to know it's gone. Mine is a camper and I usually take it for a drive every four weeks or so even during off season. Will help prevent your issue and others I imagine.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a JOBD tool for £58 from Amazon. Arrived yesterday, worked out of the box and in minutrs I had the fault code - too lean fuel mix. Bought cleaning sprays for the O2 sensor and tge MAF which hopefully will arrive tomorrow. They cost £27. If this works a fix at £85 is going to compare very favourably with a garage!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,all.Can anyone please help.whant to purchase 02 censor and the other sensor on ex,want to buytoyota parts cannot find. Loads of them on E.Bay.Dont  no what to buy.My alphard is 2005,engine 2400,REASON BEING now and again orange engine warning light comes on.Drives lovely on level ground .Any incline and looses power,other than this drives buitifully .Would appr,any help thankyou in advance.

11 minutes ago, philip klein said:

Hi,all.Can anyone please help.whant to purchase 02 censor and the other sensor on ex,want to buytoyota parts cannot find. Loads of them on E.Bay.Dont  no what to buy.My alphard is 2005,engine 2400,REASON BEING now and again orange engine warning light comes on.Drives lovely on level ground .Any incline and looses power,other than this drives buitifully .Would appr,any help thankyou in advance.

The first step is to get the P-Code causing the MIL illumination. You need to get an JOBD reader. The Ancel JP700 is pretty much guaranteed to work.