Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Documents

Hello, the Toyota Alphard I am purchasing is currently going through DVLA registration. When I get the vehicle what documents should I receive from the seller, who imported the car?

Any help or experiences would be  gratefully received. 

14 hours ago, Pete S. said:

Hello, the Toyota Alphard I am purchasing is currently going through DVLA registration. When I get the vehicle what documents should I receive from the seller, who imported the car?

Any help or experiences would be  gratefully received. 

I would want the auction certificate.

Very detailed wrt body condition.

Bearing in mind that any manuals, operation manuals etc will be in Japanese, but they are still useful.

You will need to get your vehicle undersealed pdq, especially as where you live

make sure the vehicle you purchase has a vin number, i think there are 16 digits, check that the mileage is correct, you will be able to purchase any manuals from ebay or amazon, which will cover your year. the vin number is very important for getting the correct spares when needed. good luck with your purchase.

3 hours ago, derek sullivan said:

make sure the vehicle you purchase has a vin number, i think there are 16 digits, check that the mileage is correct, you will be able to purchase any manuals from ebay or amazon, which will cover your year. the vin number is very important for getting the correct spares when needed. good luck with your purchase.

Thanks Derek, all noted. Should I get a CVX check done? I think I need the chassis number for that. 
I don’t imagine the seller would give me that before I complete the purchase. 
I will however give it a very thorough inspection before I accept it. 

1 hour ago, Pete S. said:

Thanks Derek, all noted. Should I get a CVX check done? I think I need the chassis number for that. 
I don’t imagine the seller would give me that before I complete the purchase. 
I will however give it a very thorough inspection before I accept it. 

The vin number will be on the auction sheet, as will the 'mileage'

It won't look anything like a European one !

Also it should be on the vehicle plate on the passenger side  B pillar.

Without a VIN, DVLA will not produce any documents for you

Why wouldn't the seller give you the VIN number ?

Hopefully, you have not yet paid a deposit ?

The more 'guarded' the seller, the quicker you should walk away.

Difficult, I know, but .....

I bought an AA Inspection. VERY thorough and was well worth it for piece of mind.

7 hours ago, derek sullivan said:

My VIN number has 7 digits.

all i am saying guys is be very careful because there are a lot of dodgy dealers and sellers out there, make sure you have the vehicle checked over by someone who knows these vehicles inside out, dont jump in with both feet when you purchase one of these vehicles, there are plenty of these vehicles around, do your homework FIRST before parting with your cash.

I used to drive Mk2 Estima's, the first mk2 I bought had 65,000 miles on it give or take. A couple of years later whilst in the Toyota Estima Owners Club ( it stopped in 2018). So I bought my 1st mk2 in 2011 and in 2013 a lady said she did a BIMTA (British Independant Motor Trades Association) done and found her Estima had been clocked, wound back somewhat and mentioned a garage by name and I thought that sounded familiar. So I had a BIMTA check done on mine giving the VIN number. You could have a mileage check done for around a tenner or a full rundown around £40. I just had the mileage check done. I was shocked to find  79,000 miles had been wiped from the clock. Prices will have changed over the years. If you are worried get a BIMTA done  and good luck.

2 hours ago, derek sullivan said:

all i am saying guys is be very careful because there are a lot of dodgy dealers and sellers out there, make sure you have the vehicle checked over by someone who knows these vehicles inside out, dont jump in with both feet when you purchase one of these vehicles, there are plenty of these vehicles around, do your homework FIRST before parting with your cash.

I wholeheartedly agree with this advice.

There are several excellent importers. Their names appear in these pages quite frequently.

There are lots of dealers, similar to any other marque.

Some are good, some are not.

Most sellers do not spend on their vehicles before auction.

That is why the auction sheet can be so valuable.

Most imported vehicles need work, to pass the MOT at least.

Rear axle bushes are an example.

Many dealers do not have workshop facilities ! So which 'company' deals with your issues, if you have any ?

A good Alphie is a delight to own, it's worth the patience.

Beware the seller who is selling 'privately' from a forecourt.

The Law is quite different for business sales versus private sales.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that with us Michael, its a typical example of what goes on with these imports, these people, if you like to call them that, should be named and shamed, but if they get wind that they are being sought, they will simply disappear and set up in a different name. this is why i say do your homework before parting with your cash, if a rogue dealer takes your cash, and you find out you have been conned, believe me it will be you losing a lot of sleep and the rogue dealer will sleep soundly knowing that he has sold another heap of s--t. Yes i know because i have been caught in that trap, not the best of feelings. 

9 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

I used to drive Mk2 Estima's, the first mk2 I bought had 65,000 miles on it give or take. A couple of years later whilst in the Toyota Estima Owners Club ( it stopped in 2018). So I bought my 1st mk2 in 2011 and in 2013 a lady said she did a BIMTA (British Independant Motor Trades Association) done and found her Estima had been clocked, wound back somewhat and mentioned a garage by name and I thought that sounded familiar. So I had a BIMTA check done on mine giving the VIN number. You could have a mileage check done for around a tenner or a full rundown around £40. I just had the mileage check done. I was shocked to find  79,000 miles had been wiped from the clock. Prices will have changed over the years. If you are worried get a BIMTA done  and good luck.

Sorry to keep on about an auction sheet.

If an imported vehicle has it's odometer altered to display miles, it will be 'clocked'.

That is, the km reading will be lowered to the comparative miles. Totally legitimate.

But, there is an opportunity to 'over reduce' the km reading; that would be clocking as we all know it, and illegal.

The kilometre reading, at auction, will be on the auction sheet.

Maybe that is why some dealers don't provide it.

As ever, it is a case of Buyer Beware.

Question. Would BIMTA detect an unregistered recent import that has been clocked ?