Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Tailgate gas struts

Does anyone know where I can get replacement tailgate gas struts and if it is a common part across all Alphard models of the same vintage?

Mine are shot and barely support the weght of the tailgate, especially when the weather is cold.

Toyota price is eyewatering .........

Edited by BobUK67
Minor tweak

• 9 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, BobUK67 said:

Does anyone know where I can get replacement tailgate gas struts and if it is a common part across all Alphard models of the same vintage?

Mine are shot and barely support the weght of the tailgate, especially when the weather is cold.

Toyota price is eyewatering .........

Hi, did you get replacement gas struts for your tailgate? My door does not fully open so suspect weakened struts. Do Previa struts fit?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Hi, did you get replacement gas struts for your tailgate? My door does not fully open so suspect weakened struts. Do Previa struts fit?

I made enquires with SGS, as linked above.

I note they can regas your units,  upgrade them, or supply new replacements.

I received a very courteous reply requesting dimensional details and attachment type.

I have not, yet, followed my enquiry through to purchase. Spring expenditure !

If you have a power tailgate check for slack in the lifting/leverage mechanism too.

Mine was quite slack.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 11:01 PM, Jezmond said:

Hey Jellybean.

I've paid deposit on Alphard 07 plate which has the auto tail gate and weakened gas struts. Really interested in how you get on with the aliexpress order please let us know 

Hi, am awaiting delivery, but will post up once fitted. Fed up of banging my head on the door!

So, my struts arrived.

£23.71  36%OFF | Dampers for Toyota Alphard Vellfire (AH20) 2008-2015 Minivan Van Rear Tailgate Trunk Lift Supports Gas Struts Shock Absorber
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vcLcJO

Well fitting is a doddle, once the original rams have been separated from the ball joints. Mine were a swine to remove, courtesy of a Junior Hacksaw, Cold Chisel and a Hammer!

Bottom line... well pleased.

Manual opening is sooo different. Lift about 500mm and rams take over, fully opening the door.

Same on electric lift, goes fully open, and closes fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jellybean said:

My pleasure AlfA.

Think I will start a list of mods, parts used, and where sourced.

Fitted LED Main Beam units, and like daylight when they're on!

Great idea, the list.

Let us all know which main beam leds you fitted.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:11 PM, Rojie said:

Great idea, the list.

Let us all know which main beam leds you fitted.

Fitted these AliExpress specials!

Have driven using them a few times, and a real improvement. 

£14.45  60%OFF | Carshark 360 H7 Led Headlights Canbus No Error H1 H8 H9 H11 Auto Bulb Turbo CSP Hb3 Hb4 9012 Hir2 Lamps Ice 9005 9006 Car Lights
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ufyk4M

I just checked the part numbers for my MZ G 2006 in the EPC.

They are different. I have a power door which may make a difference.

I need to check more fully.

So, if you have a Gen 1, as I do, proceed with caution.

The Gen 2 units may not fit a Gen 1 correctly.

I need some struts so will research this more thoroughly and advise.

5 hours ago, Jezmond said:

Thanks for the info Jellybean much appreciated. Are they hard to fit DIY? How did you do it?

Cheers

You will need a substantial pole to prop the tailgate in the fully open position. Alternatively position your wife under it, if she is fairly tall!

Unbolt one ram at a time and replace with the new ram, don't remove both at once!

The brackets are held to the rams via c clips, inside each end of the rams. If you can get these out good on you! I used a hacksaw to cut the ball housing open, then a hammer and chisel to open the saw cut enough to fish the C clip out. Then the bracket with ball, can be easily removed.

Re-fit the top and bottom brackets. Spray white grease in the ball cups, each end of a new ram. Push each end of the ram over the ball joints, they clip on.

Same with the other side.

Remove the pole ..... or wife!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

You will need a substantial pole to prop the tailgate in the fully open position. Alternatively position your wife under it, if she is fairly tall!

Unbolt one ram at a time and replace with the new ram, don't remove both at once!

The brackets are held to the rams via c clips, inside each end of the rams. If you can get these out good on you! I used a hacksaw to cut the ball housing open, then a hammer and chisel to open the saw cut enough to fish the C clip out. Then the bracket with ball, can be easily removed.

Re-fit the top and bottom brackets. Spray white grease in the ball cups, each end of a new ram. Push each end of the ram over the ball joints, they clip on.

Same with the other side.

Remove the pole ..... or wife!

Hi Jellybean,

Thanks for the method.

When finished, throw pole away, or take wife to hospital !

If I can get the correct struts, I'll get a correct mechanic, and HIS wife, to do the job for me

6 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hi Jellybean,

Thanks for the method.

When finished, throw pole away, or take wife to hospital !

If I can get the correct struts, I'll get a correct mechanic, and HIS wife, to do the job for me

Best if she wears a hard hat.... with a slot to fit the door edge in, otherwise she may end up with a slot in her head!