Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Intermittent starting problem

Sometimes my 2005 Alphard just will not start.

Ignition lights everything up and engine cranks and cranks but it just wont fire.

Go back 15 minutes later and she will start in an instant! That's if I haven't flattened the battery!

Have tried touching throttle and not touching throttle doesn't seem to make any difference. Can you still flood engines these days?

Could it be my battery? Even with the battery fully charged could it be lacking some punch?

Any ideas? 

• 2 years later...
On 4/5/2021 at 3:02 PM, david said:

Sometimes my 2005 Alphard just will not start.

Ignition lights everything up and engine cranks and cranks but it just wont fire.

Go back 15 minutes later and she will start in an instant! That's if I haven't flattened the battery!

Have tried touching throttle and not touching throttle doesn't seem to make any difference. Can you still flood engines these days?

Could it be my battery? Even with the battery fully charged could it be lacking some punch?

Any ideas? 

I had this on an old Bedford Ambulance. It was the coil!!!

Fitted a new coil, no problems!!!

John Harrison (2008 Vellfire)

6 minutes ago, John Harrison said:

I had this on an old Bedford Ambulance. It was the coil!!!

Fitted a new coil, no problems!!!

John Harrison (2008 Vellfire)

Hi John,

I suspect your Bedford had a distributor.

I think, only think, these Toyota engines have a coil for each cylinder.

Took the cowling off underneath the steering wheel and discovered just by chance that if I jiggled the wiring loom leading to the immobiliser then she would fire up.

Aha! I thought, dodgy connection, how am I going to find out which of the wires was the culprit.(Auto electrics are a complete mystery to me!) Then I saw that one of the wires had previously been cut and a connector spliced in. Replaced it with a new connector and haven't had any problems since, although I wonder why the wire had been cut and jointed in the first place? Still not 100% convinced the problem has gone away for ever but I guess time will tell.

Thanks for your input.

Dave