Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Insurance

P.Hayward

4 hours ago, P.Hayward said:

Could you tell me what insurance grouping a 2.4 and a 3.5lt would be in, and do you recommend any compaines.

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

Insurance is such a personal thing.

However, there is thread covering this topic, but not the groupings.

You will probably find that quotes vary quite wildly; and it is an ever changing market.

Regarding a quote for you, there should not be much difference between these two engines.

Get an AA or RAC report on the van before making any financial commitments (if you have not bought already).

And a BIMTA check ( British Independant Motor Trades Association ) for a small fee give the reg no and or Vin No and they will check the true Km or mileage. As its strange how most of these imports have a low milage be it in Km or Miles. As a low milage vehicle commands a higher price over here ............. and Good Luck

I don't know the grouping but as a guideline I am a 50+ male in Birmingham and keep my 2003 2.4L camper on the drive. I pay less than £400 for my insurance. The company is Safeguard. https://www.safeguarduk.co.uk/ A true measure of an insurance company is when you need to claim but I haven't needed to yet.

On 8/24/2023 at 1:26 AM, Michael Brown said:

As its strange how most of these imports have a low milage

Do you mean strange as in suspicious?

I think that if you're going to the trouble of importing a vehicle, then it makes sense to import lower mileage examples with higher resale values.

Back in 2011, I bought my 1st Mk2 Estima G Grade with around 65,000 miles on it. I belonged to the Toyota Estima Owners Club. It was not till 3 years later someone in the club reported that she thought her Estima had been clocked, so she paid for a BIMTA  mileage check and found her vehicle had had the clock showing travel had been wound back. The lower the reading the more the dealer can charge for it. So after 3 yrs ownership I paid around £10. and had a BIMTA test done on mine, my ODO read in Km which on 65,000 miles read 105,625 Km, on day of purchase, I was the 1st UK owner other than the dealer from who I bought from. The BIMTA check came back it should have read 179,000Km. Too late for me to do anything about it and anyway in 2018 whilst on my way to go camping with TEOC the engine went and I had to be ferried home on a transporter via RAC. Estima needed a new engine , so was later scrapped. So getting a BIMTA check done on any prospective  purchase in the future is a good thing.  BIMTA  ( British Independant Motor Trades Association )

7 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

Back in 2011, I bought my 1st Mk2 Estima G Grade with around 65,000 miles on it. I belonged to the Toyota Estima Owners Club. It was not till 3 years later someone in the club reported that she thought her Estima had been clocked, so she paid for a BIMTA  mileage check and found her vehicle had had the clock showing travel had been wound back. The lower the reading the more the dealer can charge for it. So after 3 yrs ownership I paid around £10. and had a BIMTA test done on mine, my ODO read in Km which on 65,000 miles read 105,625 Km, on day of purchase, I was the 1st UK owner other than the dealer from who I bought from. The BIMTA check came back it should have read 179,000Km. Too late for me to do anything about it and anyway in 2018 whilst on my way to go camping with TEOC the engine went and I had to be ferried home on a transporter via RAC. Estima needed a new engine , so was later scrapped. So getting a BIMTA check done on any prospective  purchase in the future is a good thing.  BIMTA  ( British Independant Motor Trades Association )

Any theory on where the clocking was performed ?

Japan or UK ?

8 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

The BIMTA check came back that the ODO read on the dockside Japan, 179,000Km, so it must have been done in UK

Would you care to send me a Private Message with where the vehicle was purchased, please ?

4 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

it was 12 years ago, I will see if I can find the details

Hi Michael,

I withdraw my request as, whatever your response, it would not be relevant for consideration after all this time !

Hopefully, whoever was 'adjusting' the odometers went out of business years ago.