Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Prospective new members needing some advice

Hi. The wife and I went out today with the purpose of looking to buy either a T5 Transporter or T2 VW Camper Vans. However, we ended up at a dealership looking at a 2007 Toyota Alphard 2.4 Japanese import with brand new Funky Ram interior. We took it for a test drive and were really impressed. Now, I guess members here are likely to be biased (LOL), but I'd like to know what the pro's and cons are to going ahead and buying one. We're both just turned 60 and looking to use our free time to go venturing around the country visiting all the places we've never been to. And, of course, getting involved with the Club if there are events organised. Thanks in advance. :)

3 hours ago, MereDetails81 said:

Hi. The wife and I went out today with the purpose of looking to buy either a T5 Transporter or T2 VW Camper Vans. However, we ended up at a dealership looking at a 2007 Toyota Alphard 2.4 Japanese import with brand new Funky Ram interior. We took it for a test drive and were really impressed. Now, I guess members here are likely to be biased (LOL), but I'd like to know what the pro's and cons are to going ahead and buying one. We're both just turned 60 and looking to use our free time to go venturing around the country visiting all the places we've never been to. And, of course, getting involved with the Club if there are events organised. Thanks in advance. :)

Hello Kevin,

Welcome to the Forum.

• 3 months later...

No real cons to be honest, bar the following:

They are/can be quite thirsty, particularly on A to B runs.  A good motorway run at sensible speeds will see you return v high 20's/low 30's.

Parts can be a challenge to source if damaged, particularly bodywork, but where there is a will there is a way.  Some bits are shared with other more common EU spec Toyota vehicles so are easy enough to get through Toyota main dealers.

Same goes for most minivan conversions to be honest, but just be aware with a pop top you'll get very close if not beyond the max height for alot of public car parks, so it can rather limit where you park the thing.  We measured ours with a Drivelodge top (which is quite low profile) and it's about 6ft 10).

The biggest pro is that the Alphard is a luxury vehicle that lends itself to conversion, whereas the Transporter (like many other camper conversions) start life as a much more basic panel van, so tend not to get anywhere near the refinement levels of the Alphard (the Alphards do also drive extremely well for their age).