Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Ulez non compliance of pre 2005 Alphards

Gareth

I contacted customer support at Toyota Uk as follows:

"Your site says
"Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered as new with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001"
My Alphard 2.4 petrol auto first registered in Japan 1.3.2005, imported to uk in July 2022
Classed as non ulez compliant by tfl.
Apart from the above quote I have read in the press that some Toyota ( and others) vehicles made from 1999 to 2005 meet EU 4 emission levels and owners should ask the manufacturer for a Compliance Conformity Certificate, how do I do that with Toyota please?"

Their response includes;

"As your vehicle is an import, we would not hold any data on this and no Certificate of Conformity will be available for any vehicle originating from outside of Europe, this document does not exist in any non-European jurisdiction.
Japan do not test for emissions so there is no data that can be collated for this document, and they will not have this available.   "

"As no Certificate of Conformity will be available for your vehicle, it is likely that an Individual Vehicle Approval certificate (IVA) will be required, and this can be arranged through The Driving Standards Agency (DVSA) " http://www.gov.uk/vehicleapproval

I went back to them to query that last para, which doesn't seem to me to be relevant to Ulez compliance, but they simply repeat it.

What am I missing?

Thanks, I was not optimistic but in view of recent press comment it did seem worth an email to Toyota uk - and their response was sufficiently confusing for me to share it here.