Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

I was looking to rotate the middle row seats in my AYH30 for when we're parked up having a picnic.  I removed the offside seat, and took some snaps, to see what was what.

PA040002.thumb.jpg.a565ceaa94b799251b86f253f00988ce.jpg

There is a base which fits onto the runners, and which in turn supports the seat.  The base shows the "cups" in each corner which fit onto the runners.  At the top of the cups are the bolts securing the seat to the base.

PA040025.thumb.jpg.282164b6d88cf8b42256f2fb3e76866a.jpg

The runners have a tab which, when depressed, allows forward and back movement.  It seems pretty clear that a turntable or swivel plate will not work.  One reason is that the cable-activated forward and back tab contact cannot be rotated.  Another is that the mechanism for the Ottoman leg rest would foul the corner of the base if rotated.

So Plan B is to find a seat which has a built-in swivel and which can be mated to the existing runners.  Variant 1 of the plan is to ask if anyone is having their 30 Series Alphard or Vellfire converted into a camper and wishes to dispose of their swivelling middle seats.  Variant 2 is to ask if anyone knows of a third-party supplier of a captain's chair which could be adapted to fit.  In either case I'd be very pleased to hear from you!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi lester,

It’s a long shot since this is an old post, but can the runners be swapped to alternate sides, so the slide button would still work and ottoman won’t snag? So literally a 180 rotation of all parts. I realise this is pretty much a permanent modification unless one wants to go through all the hassle each time!

I had a long look at (a) swapping the runners and (b) swapping the seats, turning by 180 when doing so.

On (a) it wasn't clear how the runners would be removed and re-introduced into their tracks.  It looked like the entire track would need to be lifted from the floor.  Didn't get any further.

On (b) the seats do indeed swap over, left to right rotated 180, but only when a little angle grinding work removed a small part of one side of the locating rear boxes.  Seat sliding mechanism no longer mated, so the runners ideally needed to be in position before moving the seats.  Did all that and the result is more permanent than is convenient.  So have removed the middle row entirely and now have a very roomy 5-seater (smile).  I put the picnic unit onto the runners which were moved completely forward and that worked a treat.

23 minutes ago, Lester said:

I had a long look at (a) swapping the runners and (b) swapping the seats, turning by 180 when doing so.

On (a) it wasn't clear how the runners would be removed and re-introduced into their tracks.  It looked like the entire track would need to be lifted from the floor.  Didn't get any further.

On (b) the seats do indeed swap over, left to right rotated 180, but only when a little angle grinding work removed a small part of one side of the locating rear boxes.  Seat sliding mechanism no longer mated, so the runners ideally needed to be in position before moving the seats.  Did all that and the result is more permanent than is convenient.  So have removed the middle row entirely and now have a very roomy 5-seater (smile).  I put the picnic unit onto the runners which were moved completely forward and that worked a treat.

Ah, thanks a lot for that. Funny enough, I was thinking maybe removing middle row seats is a good idea (I just hate the thought of throwing out excellent quality seats!). 

do you sleep in your Alphard? If so, I presume you use the 3rd row somehow?

also, does your picnic unit now slide on the runners or a fixed position unit?

thanks again. 

Posted (edited)

Picnic unit bolts to "L" extrusion, in turn attaches to runners just like the seats using the seat bolts.  Seats under a blanket in the garage, can re-install given 30 minutes if, ah, necessary ....  Picnic van, really, not a sleeper.  The unit could slide.  I'm planning to provide for 4 bolts that'll thread through the unit floor and push the tabs down, then can be unscrewed and stowed with the unit in a new position.

20240623_161438.jpg

Just the essentials, really:  Big fridge.  Portapotti.  Coffee machine.  Side tables which mount on bosses bolted in the tracks.  Picnic Unit - Vellfire (onemetre.net)

20240623_161418.jpg

Edited by Lester