Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

How do Hybrid 110v power sockets work?

Hi

I have a 2007 Alphard Hybrid which has several 110v two pin power sockets. I managed to get a converter for UK three pin plugs but when I plug my phone or laptop in they do not seem to charge. Does anyone know how to use these sockers or do I have to use an external inverter?

• 2 months later...

Because I don’t no any better I thought USA mains socket and plugged in a USA kettle. Engine running and 100v button pressed, it boiled in about 5 minutes for two mugs of tea. Done this three times now and so far no smoke flames or blown fuses. My thinking is that this means the 100v socket must deliver more than 100w but where’s it coming from?

• 4 months later...
On 7/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, Garelius said:

Because I don’t no any better I thought USA mains socket and plugged in a USA kettle. Engine running and 100v button pressed, it boiled in about 5 minutes for two mugs of tea. Done this three times now and so far no smoke flames or blown fuses. My thinking is that this means the 100v socket must deliver more than 100w but where’s it coming from?

Awesome....I don't know any better either - have you any update on this? Any links to the kettle? I've just forced an adapter in (stupid covers don't open up far enough) and got my laptop working. I expect laptops, cameras, phones etc will be fine but a kettle..? This could be a game changer - have you tried anything else?

Hello 100V users.

I have not used 100v outlets yet but  !!

The inverter is powered by the vehicle battery.

Be careful not to take too much power without the engine running (to recharge the battery); even then, if only idling you may drain the battery anyhow.

As a Tigerbear says, the AC outlet switch needs to be on for the outlets to operate. (so you can switch off the kids entertainment as soon as it gets too loud, or they fail to behave!).

The outlet(s) is(are) rated at 100W. I have two. I do not know whether they are rated at 100w each, or 100w collectively ! I assume collectively.

Although I have a mains hookup I am hoping to use the 100v to charge my laptop battery when on the move, and use mains when at a campsite.

I may get a 240v invertor to work from my leisure battery at a later date.

Sourcing Japanese plug leads for European socketed equipment can be fun; try RS Components.

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

Hello 100V users.

I have not used 100v outlets yet but  !!

The inverter is powered by the vehicle battery.

Be careful not to take too much power without the engine running (to recharge the battery); even then, if only idling you may drain the battery anyhow.

As a Tigerbear says, the AC outlet switch needs to be on for the outlets to operate. (so you can switch off the kids entertainment as soon as it gets too loud, or they fail to behave!).

The outlet(s) is(are) rated at 100W. I have two. I do not know whether they are rated at 100w each, or 100w collectively ! I assume collectively.

Although I have a mains hookup I am hoping to use the 100v to charge my laptop battery when on the move, and use mains when at a campsite.

I may get a 240v invertor to work from my leisure battery at a later date.

Sourcing Japanese plug leads for European socketed equipment can be fun; try RS Components.

But I don't have a Hybrid ....

• 2 years later...

Hi struggling with some of the above issues, not least the socket flap limiting access with adpators Ive brought to date, about to try another :-

https://search.app/CzEu1fBiPiYp1NJZ8

would they work? Any update on this, not least of all the USA kettle? I'd like to buy a 110volt plug/3 pin adaptor so that I can use the two 110volt sockets in the Pioneer Alphard with 3 pin plugged equipment, that works off 110 volts. I have looked on the web but nothing seems that clear and I guess other Toyota Alphard owners have needed to address this?

On 4/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, Jay said:

Hi

I have a 2007 Alphard Hybrid which has several 110v two pin power sockets. I managed to get a converter for UK three pin plugs but when I plug my phone or laptop in they do not seem to charge. Does anyone know how to use these sockers or do I have to use an external inverter?

Please add your vehicle type to your profile.

2 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Toyota Alphard Hybrid Eco Pioneer 2008

Hi Rojie Have been into profile and dont seem to be able to add this much detail, if this is what you meant?

On the hybrid there is a 1500W inverter taking power from the hybrid battery for the 100V outlets. A US market kettle that is under 1500W should work fine. Everything else probably is just a matter of finding an adapter that works. If you are handy with electrics, or know someone that is, you could get a Japanese/US two pin plug and connect it to an appropriate UK socket with a short length of flex. Obviously you'd have to make sure that nobody comes along and thinks this is 240V outlet and starts plugging everything into it. Also, be aware you have no earth via this system. 

I note you have called your vehicle the Eco Pioneer, which suggests you have a vehicle from Campervanco? If so, why not just buy a stovetop kettle and use the induction hob instead?

4 hours ago, Peter G said:

Hi Rojie Have been into profile and dont seem to be able to add this much detail, if this is what you meant?

Seems OK now. Thank you.

Just makes it much easier for members to know how to help you.

Smurf and Rojie

many thanks, Ive managed to find a dual voltage electric kettle and the adapator works...and yes if I could get a Japanese/US two pin plug and connect it to an appropriate UK socket, with a short length of flex, I will, as it will be a better fit.  The vehicle is from Campervanco and I could buy a stovetop kettle/or use a pan which I have but its a question of space when loaded up on the move.

Thanks again