Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Knowing the emissions of a vehicle

5 hours ago, Mandy schmidt said:

Hi there …I’m very new to all this so hello 

I wonder if you can help .. I’m looking to buy a hybrid Toyota alphard and it’s chassis number is 

ATH10-0003005.. I’ve paid for a carvx report but will it tell me the emissions? 

Hello Mandy,

Welcome to the Forum.

Why do you need to know the emissions ?

A 2007 vehicle should be ULEZ compliant if that is the reason for your question.

You can type the registration number into the TfL website if you wish to check; I would.

ps. Are you sure the vehicle is 2007 ?

5 hours ago, Mandy schmidt said:

Sorry … it turned out to be a 2003 vehicle and trying to change its classification proved to be too difficult… thanks for your reply 

You are correct.  

Well done for researching it well.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

all I got was the MOT Certificate

I got an emission test result with my MOT in Spetember. I don't think anything's changed so perhaps have a word with your tester.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hybrid vehicles don't require an emissions test for an MOT. You can get a Certificate of Conformity, Type approval Certificate, from Japan Inspection Organisation which will tell you the emissions and that it is equivalent to EURO-4.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeza said:

Hybrid vehicles don't require an emissions test for an MOT. You can get a Certificate of Conformity, Type approval Certificate, from Japan Inspection Organisation which will tell you the emissions and that it is equivalent to EURO-4.

Hey there … I bought a different car in the end .. it was too hard trying to get a conformity registration 

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting all old discussion slightly, @Jeza have you any experience on obtaining a certificate of conformity once the car is here in the UK? If this is possible to get proof, then it opens up my Alphard buying options to older cars!

In all honesty as long as it's a 10 series facelift (came along in 2005), these are all petrol and she to the age tend to be considered Euro 4 compliant.  Technically anything of that era, 2.4, 3.0 or Hybrid should be ULEZ compliant, but it's not always a given.

Best way to know is find a vehicle you are interested in, get it's registration and put it through the TfL ULEZ checker.  If it doesn't say ULEZ needs to be paid you'll be fine.

Whole thing rather makes me laugh as I had a 2006 Mini Cooper S as a bit of fun for a while, and that was ULEZ compliant, despite being horrifyingly bad on fuel on urban run (25mpg and probably being generous) and having a CO2 output well into the 200's of g/km 😆

ULEZ is more about emissions that directly affect human health, such as Nox and particulates. CO2 from a car exhaust into the open air isn't an issue for human health. 

Either way, there Alphards are all low emission vehicles, just need to work out how to prove it and get the CAZ changed too slow it into city centres. The Elgrand forum have sussed it for Elgrand's so hoping we can achieve the same for older Alphards

1 hour ago, smurf said:

ULEZ is more about emissions that directly affect human health, such as Nox and particulates. CO2 from a car exhaust into the open air isn't an issue for human health. 

I can tell you from the pops and bangs that came out of the exhaust none of it was good for ones health, but totally get your point 😄

I'm betting ULEZ will become EU5 or 6 mandatory before too long anyway (I can't see TfL stopping the pressure on older vehicles) so that will definitely rule out all but the newest Alphards.  Shame but no doubt the way it's going.

It is possible that it will go that way in London, but then in Manchester they have gone in the opposite direction and found that restrictions aren't necessary as improvements in air quality are happening anyway as older vehicles are replaced at the end of their life, especially buses and lorries. 

On 3/23/2024 at 6:48 AM, arcascomp said:

Resurrecting all old discussion slightly, @Jeza have you any experience on obtaining a certificate of conformity once the car is here in the UK? If this is possible to get proof, then it opens up my Alphard buying options to older cars!

No issue obtaining a CoC from https://japaninspection.org/certificate-of-conformity-coc/ . I emailed them first because I didn't have an export cert, but not issue if already registered in UK. Forms to complete are on the above link. Engine serial number is on the front rh end of the block if not already on the V5C. Took a couple of weeks to complete the process and another week for delivery. 6 weeks for the DVLA to make the changes.

Make sure you check lez's first as it is based on vehicle age and not because it's an import. Mine is 2003 so was non compliant, I think 2006 onwards is EURO4 compliant.

1 hour ago, Jeza said:

No issue obtaining a CoC from https://japaninspection.org/certificate-of-conformity-coc/ . I emailed them first because I didn't have an export cert, but not issue if already registered in UK. Forms to complete are on the above link. Engine serial number is on the front rh end of the block if not already on the V5C. Took a couple of weeks to complete the process and another week for delivery. 6 weeks for the DVLA to make the changes.

Has there a benefit to doing this such as becoming ULEZ compliant or getting road tax based upon CO2 emissions? I have a 2003 and whilst not being ULEZ compliant isn't the end of the world, nor paying a little over the odds for tax, it would be nice to able to gain a little of something for not much effort.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/8fNfKa5ABK1wDX2s/

Use that link to the Facebook Toyota owners group featured page, it details how at least one member paid 50000 yen to get the correct documentation to have his car registration updated too show Euro4 status. Costs a bit but means it can definitely be done to allow an older Alphards to be allowed into LEZ and ULEZ zones both here in UK and in Europe.

If it's just the UK zones, it is probably worth trying a page from the Toyota environmental statement document from about 2003 and a copy of your v5 sent in as the Elgrand guys have been doing. Zero cost option if it works. That was going to be my initial approach before spending anything extra.

• Thanks 1

There is no tax benefit. Just allows you to drive into any of the increasing number of LEZ zones without getting charged. 

• Thanks 1