Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Slow electric doors and sunroof

Is this a common issue?

Cold wet weather causing slow electric doors and sunroof and remote key not always unlocking slider door. 

I've lubricated cables and runners. Has improved marginally. 

Thoughts appreciated. 

When you experience this, is the engine on? If not, it might be a sign of a failing battery.

To move one of those heavy doors takes a lot of work and the battery voltage will dip if the alternator is not running. If I remember correctly, motor rotational velocity is proportional to voltage. Lower voltage means lower door speed.

Cold temperatures will reduce electrical resistance but I think it is probably a negligible factor.

Having replaced my battery this year, my advice is to research and choose your battery ahead of when you might want to buy it. That way your down time will be minimised if yours dies suddenly.

Or you could preemptively replace it. Lead acid batteries are one of the most recycled automotive products.

39 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Having replaced my battery this year, my advice is to research and choose your battery ahead of when you might want to buy it. That way your down time will be minimised if yours dies suddenly.

Or you could preemptively replace it. Lead acid batteries are one of the most recycled automotive products.

Tanya Batteries provide a mail order service.

1 hour ago, Geralt said:

When you experience this, is the engine on? If not, it might be a sign of a failing battery.

To move one of those heavy doors takes a lot of work and the battery voltage will dip if the alternator is not running. If I remember correctly, motor rotational velocity is proportional to voltage. Lower voltage means lower door speed.

Cold temperatures will reduce electrical resistance but I think it is probably a negligible factor.

I love the Physics: but different materials have different temperature coefficients ! Some positive, some negative !

I agree that the effect of the temp coeff is insignificant.

Sam, you need your battery testing, under load; sooner rather than later, as Geralt suggests.

If your battery is failing, slow door action is likely to be the last of your problems.

12 hours ago, Ecoglo said:

Is this a common issue?

Cold wet weather causing slow electric doors and sunroof and remote key not always unlocking slider door. 

I've lubricated cables and runners. Has improved marginally. 

Thoughts appreciated. 

Cold weather reduces the battery output, I see you have a 2.4L, if the battery is the oem of 45Ah then it will need changing as they lose charge stood around at the auction/on the boat, once it drops to 10.5v the cells get damaged beyond recovery, the 005L size battery that is fitted to the 3.0L will fit your battery tray but an angle bracket needs trimming off the restraining strap and you need the normal size post clamps, you can get an 005L 70Ah on ebay, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255717624099

Hi I am a total campervan novice, I  have a 2005 2.4 Alphard & had this problem last year with the doors & twice the battery went flat. It had a new battery fitted when we bought it the previous year.  Mine also is not used every day & on these occasions had been on the drive several days.  Charging the battery sorted it out & our mechanic suggested we buy a ‘trickle charger’ device to stop it happening.  Haven’t really looked into it yet & not had any problems this year yet but now make a point of going out more in the van especially as it’s getting colder.  

14 hours ago, Gillibanana said:

Hi I am a total campervan novice, I  have a 2005 2.4 Alphard & had this problem last year with the doors & twice the battery went flat. It had a new battery fitted when we bought it the previous year.  Mine also is not used every day & on these occasions had been on the drive several days.  Charging the battery sorted it out & our mechanic suggested we buy a ‘trickle charger’ device to stop it happening.  Haven’t really looked into it yet & not had any problems this year yet but now make a point of going out more in the van especially as it’s getting colder.  

A trickle charger is a great idea if you park on your drive. On the road, not so great.

The other option if the vehicle cannot be driven regularly is to disconnect the battery or fit an isolator to remove the quiescent current drain.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/victron-energy-onoff-battery-isolator-switch-with-removable-actuator-275a.html

This one also improves resistance to theft.

Of course you will have the problem of resetting windows and radios etc.