Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

8 seater seats required

Hi. I am a newbie to this forum and to the world of Alphards so please be kind. I am looking to convert my 7 seater 2005 3litre into an 8 seater. Has anyone out there done this successfully.? I am looking out for the centre row seats in grey .. without much success so far. 

Might be worth contacting the camper conversion companies. They probably throw the seats they remove into a skip as the second hand market for them will be miniscule in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Johnny O said:

Hey thanks. That’s not a bad idea … and yeah it does seem to be a niche market 😅

Unfortunately, I think you will find it is not quite that simple !

The middle seats in a 7 seater sit on four rails, shared with the rear seats.

The eight seater uses 5 rails !

So you will need the rails and the runners as well.

Since the rails are in different places you are likely to need new carpets and sound deadening materials too

I guess, as the sound deadening is out of sight, the original parts can probably be made to fit.

Nevertheless, it would not be a huge job, assuming the bolt holes and captive nuts are already in place under the chassis.

I assume you want the middle seats to swivel ?

Not sure i am replying in the right mode but yes that was the plan ….to have the full 8 seater set up with the swivel. It’s very interesting what you say. I will have that in mind when I call the conversion folks next week. Sounds like it might be more complicated than we had thought. 

6 hours ago, Johnny O said:

Not sure i am replying in the right mode but yes that was the plan ….to have the full 8 seater set up with the swivel. It’s very interesting what you say. I will have that in mind when I call the conversion folks next week. Sounds like it might be more complicated than we had thought. 

Just check the rail separation on a 7 seater versus an 8 seater; you will understand what I mean.

It's not a big job; I have done something similar, the seats are not a straight swap.

Do you need 8 seats ?

2 hours ago, Rojie said:

Just check the rail separation on a 7 seater versus an 8 seater; you will understand what I mean.

It's not a big job; I have done something similar, the seats are not a straight swap.

Do you need 8 seats ?

Well actually I don’t need the eight seats per se…I  am just looking at the benefit the wider 8 seats has in creating a continuous  surface to sleep on..the gap in the middle of the second row in the seven seater being the issue.  

1 hour ago, Johnny O said:

Well actually I don’t need the eight seats per se…I  am just looking at the benefit the wider 8 seats has in creating a continuous  surface to sleep on..the gap in the middle of the second row in the seven seater being the issue.  

There are benefits to two singles; especially in the heat of summer.

I don't have one, but I guess an air mattress would help bridge the gap.

A small table like support could also help

It also depends on where your head end will be.

Some owners use contoured foam to make the sleeping area more level.

You need to examine an eight seater to help you decide.

I'm sure New Acre cars in Evesham supply the tailored foam package, certainly for 8-seaters. You'd have to ask them about 7-seaters.

• 3 weeks later...