Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Gear shift problem

Hi guys my alphard will not go into gear when engine is running but when I switch engine off and put ignition on and gently move the gear stick I can hear a electrical click like a relay coming from the steering rack area and can feel the click through the ignition key any ideas please 

On 3/31/2024 at 7:24 PM, Marky mark said:

Hi guys my alphard will not go into gear when engine is running but when I switch engine off and put ignition on and gently move the gear stick I can hear a electrical click like a relay coming from the steering rack area and can feel the click through the ignition key any ideas please 

Does it exit Park with the shift lock release button pressed?

Then just the P/N switch, solenoid or something mechanical remains the issue.

Since you hear a click with ignition on and foot on brake, it could be the solenoid and P/N switch are OK but something mechanical is broken. If I were you I would remove the fascia and try to reach and examine it visually.

That's what I'm on with now but all looks well I'm 99% sure it's this clicking what the fault is in the steering colum must be a electrical fault as only clicks when ignition is on

11 hours ago, Marky mark said:

Can you see what looks like a motor on the ignition barrel I think this is the problem 

Why do you think it's the problem? I'm not following your logic here given the problem you face. If you can rotate the ignition barrel and start the car, then there's probably nothing wrong with it. Are you just wanting to replace a part that happens to click? A click is usually a good sign: A relay actuating or a solenoid moving.

If the problem really is the shifft lock solenoid (TBD), then this is the part 85431-58010:

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8543158010

image.png.b88ced756d80659ef0d27853f4e9ba7f.png

Not surpisingly it's attached to the gear shift lever, not the steering column.

16 hours ago, Geralt said:

I'll check tomorrow what I hear in my van.

As promised, I hear a click too coming from a similar area in my van. Whatever the click is (probably a relay), it is normal operation and is not the cause of your problem.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Adriantan said:

Hi my Alphard when ramp up to 30-40 kmh the engine will drag if I increase speed slowly. If I ramp on it, it will get over the drag and speed up. May I know what's the problem. Thank you

Hello Adrian,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please complete the details in your profile.

It helps us help you if we know what vehicle you have !

Age and type.