Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hi guys I am thinking of getting a Vellfire alternative to buy a v class or viano Mercedes. Very attracted by the spec and the price but a bit worried about the space. How comfortable is it to have three across the back, especially to have 3 across the middle if it's an eight seater? Sometimes I do trips right out to Bath or even Cornwall and worried that I won't actually be able to comfortably carry that many people. Especially as I will need some luggage based on the rear as well.

5 hours ago, Mark C said:

Hi guys I am thinking of getting a Vellfire alternative to buy a v class or viano Mercedes. Very attracted by the spec and the price but a bit worried about the space. How comfortable is it to have three across the back, especially to have 3 across the middle if it's an eight seater? Sometimes I do trips right out to Bath or even Cornwall and worried that I won't actually be able to comfortably carry that many people. Especially as I will need some luggage based on the rear as well.

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

Will your passengers be adults or children, or a combination of both ?

Hi, I would think twice about a merc, I had a "Vito sport x"  for 10 years, I do very low mileage but read up on broken springs, eating batteries, starter motors and glow plug replacement.+ dpf sensors! + Tyres seem to wear out quickly and are expensive, found it to be a bit of a money pit ( nice to drive though!)

Excellent vehicles the Alphard/Vellfires of that generation.  Even the earlier AH10's are v nice and still feel relatively modern even at 20 years old.

Something to be mindful of is that these vehicles are available in a myriad of configurations seating wise, so you need to be sure what you end up buying will suit.

From memory I think they come in 7 seater (so 2 dedicated captains chairs 2nd row, 3 seater bench 3rd row), or 8 seater (2 x 3 seater benches both rows), though again the 3rd row is that bit less opulent/comfortable than the 2nd, certainly where the middle seat is concerned.

Not sure if it's the same on the AH20's (the 2nd gen one you've expressed interest in) but the AH10's with the 3 person 2nd row, the centre belt is a lap belt, not a 3 pointer.  Space wise it's absolutely fine but the middle seat is somewhat on a hump and has a centre armrest, so it's arguably not as comfortable as the left and right hand seats.  Also the lack of a headrest can be a bit of a pain.

I'd avoid similar gen Merc vans, they aren't the most reliable and believe they are prone to rust.  Envisage an Alphard/Vellfires will end up being alot stronger mechanically and bodywork wise.

The newer V class/Vitos are nice but obviously their cost isn't 🙂

Comfortable they certainly are.  I have the 3rd row seats stowed away to the sides as I need the space at the back for all the stuff I have to carry around with me and I stil have 5 seats inc the drivers seat. Many years ago I used to have  mk2 Estima's. A friend of mine wanted to move some furniture up to Scotland and asked if I could hire a van. So I suggested if I took out the middle and 3rd rows seats I would have a comfortable van and we would'nt have to hire a van. He thought it a good idea. So after the seats were out I put down half inch plywood to give better loading floor and it all worked a treat. I guess one could do something similiar with the Alphard/Vellfire ?

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 8 seater Vellfire 2009 20 series (or Gen 2) - the 20 series has 3 point proper harnesses for all eight seats unlike the earlier 10 series. The middle row of three will comfortably take three adults and the rear most seats will still get decent leg room after you slide everything about to get boot space, etc. sorted. I recently drove back from Stevenage to Edinburgh with six adults and luggage on board with pretty decent comfort and plenty of power.

Same trip I had eight adults on board for a short hop from hotel to wedding venue, the very back seat is a squeeze for the 'middle' seat and although it has a proper 3 point seat belt the seat has the join between the two folding chairs and the back of it is made of two folded up arm rests, so I'd guess it wasn't that comfy. With eight adults on board, steep dual carriageway slip roads did need a bit of welly to get up to a decent speed too. I'd say that an 8 seater is fine for up to 7 people and the 7 seater will do 6 in comfort. wee kids will probably easily fit in.