Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire - 100v power + VTR console (Help please)

Hi All,

I was wondering if I can have some guidance on a a Toyota Vellfire that I am picking up in 2 weeks. This is my first post here and the first time I'm purchasing an imported (from Japan) car so my knowledge is very limited.

1) 100v/100w connection (picture attached) - Whilst I understand this is a Japanese 2 pin input, can you advise if I can get some sort of converter to turn it into a USB port etc... I suspect the 100v would be too much load for a USB or maybe some sort of clever converter/change made from behind?

2) VTR connection (picture attached) - I guess the same again... I haven't got the car yet to figure anything out but I believe the headunit at the front of the car enables the VTR but is there a special connection that I can purchase to play something on screen? 

Thanks in advance. 

Vellfire 2008.PNG

I have done this on my 2005 alphard. You need to remove the console, locate the dc to ac inverter, remove or bypass that so your sockets now have 12v dc going into them and then switch the jap plugs for usbs (you can buy special inserts from eBay for about £6). 
the VTR is a direct video connect to the screens in the vehicle, either rear roof screen or front dash. Probably not much use given everyone has their own smartphone these days .

• 3 months later...

Thanks wjvh. This has helped me too. I am more interested in the VTR input.

I am hoping to connect a DVB T2 tuner to the HDD unit to get some TV for when parked up.

I don't have a roof screen, but may get one.  I am planning a proper TV as part of a rear conversion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 4:57 PM, wjvh said:

I have done this on my 2005 alphard. You need to remove the console, locate the dc to ac inverter, remove or bypass that so your sockets now have 12v dc going into them and then switch the jap plugs for usbs (you can buy special inserts from eBay for about £6). 
the VTR is a direct video connect to the screens in the vehicle, either rear roof screen or front dash. Probably not much use given everyone has their own smartphone these days .

Could you link the special insert from ebay please ? Can't find anything.
Thanks !

I found it.

So the converter is under the driver's seat. It's easy to access, check this https://youtu.be/uwfSWvKsLec?t=110

Remove the plastic next to the right driver's foot, remove the trim in front of you (check video, I don't have the exact english word), and then you get access to the converter.
I checked the wires, when you unplug the connector and watch it from the front, the 2 wires on the left (top and bottom) are the 12v and the 2 others are the ones going to the 2 100v power outlet.

I hope it helps :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And you can replace both of 100v power outlet by 12v (converter included to 5v) USB converters (found on aliexpress in my case) for a pretty cheap price, with the exact dimension to fit for Toyota. I just did it, picture joined.

252231169_906732499959839_4421407825804339087_n.jpg

I have taken a different approach on this.

I have a 2006, without the theatre system.

So, at the back of the front row seat console, I have two 100v outlets and a VTR input (which I hope to use for radio and TV signals to the HDD unit).

Alongside these, my convertor (at my request) has fitted a 240v socket; a USB socket and a 12v (cigarette lighter) socket above the 240v outlet.

Hopefully, whatever voltage source I need 'up front' I'll have.

I think I have identified a siutable cool box with 12v, 100V and 240V input (albeit not all hooked up at the same time).

I have planned sufficient room for a fridge, but don't plan on fitting one yet (if ever) as I lose most of my very limited storage space in my rear conversion.

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 5:38 AM, R4v3n said:

I found it.

So the converter is under the driver's seat. It's easy to access, check this https://youtu.be/uwfSWvKsLec?t=110

Remove the plastic next to the right driver's foot, remove the trim in front of you (check video, I don't have the exact english word), and then you get access to the converter.
I checked the wires, when you unplug the connector and watch it from the front, the 2 wires on the left (top and bottom) are the 12v and the 2 others are the ones going to the 2 100v power outlet.

I hope it helps :)

Hi R4v3n,

Did your 100w converter/inverter under your seat look like the pics attached or something different?IMG20220219063731.thumb.jpg.1f62850969cc1d802f28c6df28a5d284.jpg

IMG20220219063658.jpg

Edited by outbackstriker
Wording
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, outbackstriker said:

So you just removed the cables from this plug and joined black to black and white to black/white?

That must be that yes :)

black/white is ground, Black is +12. So take a note of how you link them and check before connecting your new plugs.

Edited by R4v3n

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 9:48 PM, R4v3n said:

That must be that yes :)

black/white is ground, Black is +12. So take a note of how you link them and check before connecting your new plugs.

Thank you all so much for this information. I have followed your instructions and now have the pair of double usb quick chargers in the rear of my Vellfire. My only question is this, I went to remove the light up 100volt dash switch and replace it with a blank but notice there are 5 coloured wires. Any idea what colours wires joined would bypass the need of a switch?

Regards, Gary

Edited by themayneman
spelling mistake

3 hours ago, themayneman said:

Thank you all so much for this information. I have followed your instructions and now have the pair of double usb quick chargers in the rear of my Vellfire. My only question is this, I went to remove the light up 100volt dash switch and replace it with a blank but notice there are 5 coloured wires. Any idea what colours wires joined would bypass the need of a switch?

Regards, Gary

No sorry, I kept the switch, because I think it's pretty neat to keep my hand on the power usage in the back.
You can still use a multimeter to determine which one is what.

Hi, I’m looking at replacing the 100v outlets with USB/Type C. Can’t seem to find the correct size for the front next to cigar lighter though ?.

is the inverter under the drivers seat ?. I was thinking of replacing it with a 240v pure sine wave and for a read socket.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:56 AM, MalTee said:

Hi, I’m looking at replacing the 100v outlets with USB/Type C. Can’t seem to find the correct size for the front next to cigar lighter though ?.

is the inverter under the drivers seat ?. I was thinking of replacing it with a 240v pure sine wave and for a read socket.

You should find the USB C outlets on aliexpress, with the correct size. Just measure it and check aliexpress.

Yes, read my posts, I linked a video showing exactly where it is.

Edited by R4v3n

• 4 months later...

I've reached this point with my 2009 Alphard and I'm stumped as to what I'm supposed to do to bypass the inverter under the driver's seat. I've read this post a few times and I think perhaps there is some detail missing. The usb plugs are in place of the original 100v plugs and how do I power them now? Do I remove the inverter altogether? What do I do with the wiring? My apologies if I sound like a dimwit!

for 100 V , buy charger like this

image.png.a8400262f1c0813b6cde7bdfc335a654.png

image.png.94db785c7802ae72eecc87b1611f737a.png

Buy This Media DLNA Miracast Airplay, you can play any music, movi etc from your gagdet, and display to Screen (VTR Mode) wireless

image.png.11ff61aa1808432dfe9a83bf72b65ce5.png

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:38 AM, R4v3n said:

And you can replace both of 100v power outlet by 12v (converter included to 5v) USB converters (found on aliexpress in my case) for a pretty cheap price, with the exact dimension to fit for Toyota. I just did it, picture joined.

252231169_906732499959839_4421407825804339087_n.jpg

I've reached this point but can I ask which wires you connected? Blue and green from the original wiring to red and black on the new USB outlets. I can't find a definitive answer online as to which of the original wires is ground and active.

• Like 1

All good, I figured it out and it's all working. For future reference, the blue wire is negative and the green is positive.

20220730_160826.jpg

Edited by Damo_Oz
Added info.
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:27 AM, Damo_Oz said:

All good, I figured it out and it's all working. For future reference, the blue wire is negative and the green is positive.

20220730_160826.jpg

Looks great

• 4 months later...
On 10/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, wjvh said:

Do these exist with a cigarette lighter port instead of the USBs? I need it to output 12V instead of 5V.