Jump to content
Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Brakes on a Campervan Conversion


Recommended Posts

Going from a SUV car to a camper it has taken time to get used t the brakes  (how bad they are)  now I appreciate the weight has a big impact but how do I know if my brakes are as good as they should be - bought van converted with MOT. I really notice it when having to stop at roundabouts with the time it takes to stop when slowing down. 

 

Can you 'test' your brakes and has anyone upgraded theirs (can you)?- I think I would seriously consider this as it would be cheaper and safer than running into the back of someone 😉 

Edited by MickA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MickA said:

Going from a SUV car to a camper it has taken time to get used t the brakes  (how bad they are)  now I appreciate the weight has a big impact but how do I know if my brakes are as good as they should be - bought van converted with MOT. I really notice it when having to stop at roundabouts with the time it takes to stop when slowing down. 

 

Can you 'test' your brakes and has anyone upgraded theirs (can you)?- I think I would seriously consider this as it would be cheaper and safer than running into the back of someone 😉 

 

If the MOT is recent that should good enough.

 

You could take your van to an MOT garage and have them test them without performing an MOT.

 

Have you checked the brake fluid level reservoir. ?

 

Perhaps your brakes need new fluid and a bleed.

 

If your brakes are 'bad' I think it is your van and not the Toyota design.

 

Oh, and reduce your roundabout approach speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rojie said:

 

If the MOT is recent that should good enough.

 

You could take your van to an MOT garage and have them test them without performing an MOT.

 

Have you checked the brake fluid level reservoir. ?

 

Perhaps your brakes need new fluid and a bleed.

 

If your brakes are 'bad' I think it is your van and not the Toyota design.

 

Oh, and reduce your roundabout approach speed.

My issue is what is bad and what is to be expected my only reference point is cars 
Brake fluid is right level and looks ok colour wise

I am aware of roundabout speed my point is just that I need to slow down  a lot earlier than in my car 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys!

The ones my wife and I have driven raised nothing to either of us in the brakes department, so I am guessing there's something odd with your model.

OR is your car one of the several that seem to be rather OVER servo assisted on the brakes, feather them or go through the screen 🙁?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got to factor these things weigh around 2 ton before conversion.  Not to sound at all condescending either but it does require some adjustment in driving style going from a car to what was an 8 seater minivan 👍

 

I'd be inclined (assuming there's no record it has been done in recent times) to get the discs and pads replaced with genuine Toyota parts, as well as the brake fluid, ensuring they are properly bled and go from there.  I'd expect an improvement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I make another couple of relevant comments, my daily van is a lwb, 2006, Renault Master, loaded with my kit up at about 3.2 tons, it's not shy of stopping power, and our friends have a 6 berth (bed over cab) 2011 Chausson Ford motorhome, which stops absolutely fine too. From any speed. We've done the Scottish Highlands in it.

Our Chrysler Grand Voyager 2 ton lump however is merely "OK".

But I've driven some company cars in the past, VW group, which were just ridiculous, too sensitive on the pedal with barely any pressure required, which would be fun in slippery and icy conditions, making sure the abs got a workout! I've not experienced that on newer stuff recently though.

 

So as @pipsyp says, it does depend what your comparing it too, but very importantly make sure what you have is "good" not just "good enough" for an mot pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rojie said:

 

If the MOT is recent that should good enough.

 

You could take your van to an MOT garage and have them test them without performing an MOT.

 

Have you checked the brake fluid level reservoir. ?

 

Perhaps your brakes need new fluid and a bleed.

 

If your brakes are 'bad' I think it is your van and not the Toyota design.

 

Oh, and reduce your roundabout approach speed.

I had an SUV before my 8 seater Vellfire. Even with the 8 seats full, the brakes are really good. At about 80,000 miles I replaced all four brake discs and pads and have had no problem since; there had been vibration when braking before. It has done about 97,000 miles now and brakes very well.

It could be that it cost me about £120 for discs and about £30 for pads. My brother fitted them for me, but would probably cost around £200 in garage costs to have them fitted. I think it was a company called Toyota Parts I bought the parts from.

I'm sure this will be you problem.

 

John Harrison. Wallasey

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last year after a holiday in the Lake District we started to notice that the braking of our Alphard was deteriorating to the point of being dangerous. Took van into our garage to look at, Mitsi Art Portsmouth, who found that the brake assist unit was failing, they sourced and fitted a 2nd hand unit and now brakes operate as they should. I would suggest as per previous entries you get your van checked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments I will get it checked out - but like I say it all depends on your reference point and it can all be subjective - it is a bit different to having a something fall off or break 😆

Next question suspension - due to the state of the roads has anyone upgrade their suspension not interested in raising or lowering just to improve the ride - was wondering as if you are doing brakes then suspension at same time would make sense?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're spot on with it being subjective, as with many things!

And my brain has just come up with another point, on the brake tester its not trying to haul up the vehicle.

However, I don't know if that's got that much relevance, as I'd guess those figures that used to be on a big chart of the mot station wall, were calculated for the weight of the vehicle they applied to.

Clive Hatch makes a very good point about the brake booster / servo, or whatever the correct name is today, being defective. Maybe even just check for any splits in the hose - now this is just guesswork based on the petrol cars I've had - it's a Hybrid, so the hose presumably won't go to the manifold, it'll possibly go to a pump somewhere so it works when the engine's off. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Edited by BigNev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MickA said:

Thanks for the comments I will get it checked out - but like I say it all depends on your reference point and it can all be subjective - it is a bit different to having a something fall off or break 😆

Next question suspension - due to the state of the roads has anyone upgrade their suspension not interested in raising or lowering just to improve the ride - was wondering as if you are doing brakes then suspension at same time would make sense?

 

Uprated are available.

 

Ask Picasso .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MickA said:

Thanks for the comments I will get it checked out - but like I say it all depends on your reference point and it can all be subjective - it is a bit different to having a something fall off or break 😆

Next question suspension - due to the state of the roads has anyone upgrade their suspension not interested in raising or lowering just to improve the ride - was wondering as if you are doing brakes then suspension at same time would make sense?

I have a tow bar fitted on our 2005 camper, and carry a thule luggage box on it. This seemed to make the rear low, so I fitted up rated rear springs. It now sits level and drives far smoother ( less forward / back rocking).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigNev said:

You're spot on with it being subjective, as with many things!

And my brain has just come up with another point, on the brake tester its not trying to haul up the vehicle.

However, I don't know if that's got that much relevance, as I'd guess those figures that used to be on a big chart of the mot station wall, were calculated for the weight of the vehicle they applied to.

Clive Hatch makes a very good point about the brake booster / servo, or whatever the correct name is today, being defective. Maybe even just check for any splits in the hose - now this is just guesswork based on the petrol cars I've had - it's a Hybrid, so the hose presumably won't go to the manifold, it'll possibly go to a pump somewhere so it works when the engine's off. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

My van is petrol not hybrid if that make any difference

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oops sorry, yes my mistake! 

So the hose from the brake booster SHOULD go to the engine inlet manifold - at least on all the petrol cars I've had, as I mentioned above!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MickA said:

Update - local garage has checked it out and I need new rear pads and disks and break fluid £340

 

So at least you will be less concerned.

 

Does this price for Oem disks and pads ?

 

I have another vehicle.

It's very quick, and has Brembo brakes.

Stops fantastic, and so does my bank balance when maintenance is needed !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.