Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Can anyone recommend a bike rack that fits on the rear door of an Alphard and still allows the door to be opened even when a bike is loaded?

I don't believe that there is one due to the plastic lip at the top of the door. That means the securing straps would be fixed to or over the plastic. So not very secure, the best option would be a tow bar bike rack. I think the thule is version lowers to allow boot opening. 

Yes of course, I bought a bike carrier for my Alphard which carries up to 3 adult bikes and very easy to fit and remove if not needed

I did post on this site when I first got it so if you search you will find photos and info as to where I got it. 

Just to say I have used it numerous times and it works absolutely fabulously and the tail gate can still be lifted and shut if needed 

It is height adjustable and will need to be adjusted so the number plate can be seen and careful when going into car parks with Hight barriers usually 2.1 metres 

it is made by a company called Fabbri, just google it, and cost when I got mine around £200.

bikes 1.jpg

We've got a sucker mount roof one that takes up to 3 bikes. Thought it would be hard to get them on and off the roof because of the height, but with the doors open you can use the steps so I find it no issue. 

Was weird having to trust the suckers innitally, but after 1000+miles of them on the roof, it's rock solid. Also doesn't get in the way of the caravan on the back.

IMG_20240127_144300.jpg

Calder Campers supplied us with a modified 2-bike rack based on a Fiamma one for a Mercedes Vito van - it needed just a bit more protection for the paintwork (I used a piece of inner tube from a bicycle tyre). However, I think they charged something like £500, so maybe one of the previous suggestions is better. Happy to add a photo to this post tomorrow if that helps?

On 6/19/2024 at 11:49 PM, JoKing said:

Can anyone recommend a bike rack that fits on the rear door of an Alphard and still allows the door to be opened even when a bike is loaded?

Fiamma L80 bolted directly to the tail gate

13 hours ago, Moomins2 said:

Yes of course, I bought a bike carrier for my Alphard which carries up to 3 adult bikes and very easy to fit and remove if not needed

I did post on this site when I first got it so if you search you will find photos and info as to where I got it. 

Just to say I have used it numerous times and it works absolutely fabulously and the tail gate can still be lifted and shut if needed 

It is height adjustable and will need to be adjusted so the number plate can be seen and careful when going into car parks with Hight barriers usually 2.1 metres 

it is made by a company called Fabbri, just google it, and cost when I got mine around £200.

bikes 1.jpg

That looks very interesting, presumably you don't need a tail board with lights and numberplate if it is mounted as shown?

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Another question: Is there any danger of the weight of the bikes preventing the open tailgate to stay up?

4 hours ago, JoKing said:

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Another question: Is there any danger of the weight of the bikes preventing the open tailgate to stay up?

My guess is Yes.

Hi Joanna,

We had a a towbar fitted (bought from PCT Automotive, Sheffield - fitted locally). We bought an Atera Strada Evo bike rack, which has a roller pull-out system, when unlatched the rack can be pulled away from the rear with the bikes still on, which then allows enough room to lift the tailgate. T'was a great find!

As Roger has already said, I think there would be a problem with suspending bikes on the tailgate itself because of the additional weight, both lifting it and keeping it held open.