Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hello, all. Apologies in advance. I have looked through as many rear camera and stereo wiring threads as I can, but still not found this info : where is the rear camera coming into the head unit? I have attached a pic of my head unit connections. I have read references to people tapping in to the video as it reaches the park assist ecu ( under passenger seat?) what does it become after this, after the Dynamic steering overlay is added? I have the 18 speaker system, and have bought a "Tesla" style android unit, with a fibre box adaptor. Not arrived yet. After a protracted discussion with the seller on Ali Express, he has confirmed all will work, including the roof monitor, but not the rear camera. I was hoping to tap into the feed (nearer the head unit the better) adding 6v for power if I have to. Thanks to several stereo versions, I can't seem to get the exact info for mine. If by chance one of you had the same stereo and did a similar upgrade, would love to know if the rear camera worked, and how/ where you tap17196868929773809920551897892920.thumb.jpg.f5d02080aa7104d9c8fceb0d67afc2f1.jpg into it

There is an adaptor for the Tesla headunits that convert the blue plug into a phono. 

I'm surprised the seller has not told you this.

It's a gvif to phono.

Like this

https://audiotechdirect.com/atd-crc-27276-reverse-camera-retention-interface-for-toyota-alphard-ah20-estima-with-gvif/

They sell cheaper ones on aliexpress.

Just search for alphard gvif adaptor

I attach the correct Japanese intelligent parking assist diagram, Incase you decide to go the DIY route

IPA-1.pdf

Edited by Chris.ac

Awesome Chris. That was what I needed. Can't find it on Ali Express, may have to change the search terms, but the car audio place is reasonable at 99

And thanks so much for the wiring diagram. Hopefully, that adaptor will work. I'll let you know! 👍🏾

Ok.... So got somewhere. 

I think !!

The search term is Toyota 360 camera adapter.

This chap has 2 variants :

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 
£30.79 | SKYFAME Car 360 Original Panoramic Reversing Camera Decoder Canbus Box For Toyota LDVS To CVBS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjxrnJ9

He replied to my query, saying it's "MOD B" for my ANH20. I Now that I have the right search term, found loads of stores selling this. So I have msged them all to ask. I have also msged the guy I am buying the head unit from. He said he would talk to their engineer and get back to me. 

I think, that at about £36 delivered, I may just go for it and see. 

I shall update on this post after everything arrives.

Yes, that sounds about right. 

Mod B is the high end versions that use the IPA ECU. Some of the low end ones do have 6v analogue connections at the headunit. 

You didn't say if you had front and side cameras?

You could also check under passenger seat for the ipa ecu, of you move seat forward, look from the back of the seat, 16 channel amp is on the left, ipa is on the right.

Hi, Chris. No side or front cameras, just rear. I do not have IPA, but was led to believe The IPA  ecu is fitted, and this is where the analogue video feed ends up. from there, with dynamic steering overlay, it ends up being the blue gvif. That;s what has got me to the adaptor. Stereo now in the country, looks like I will have it within a week, with the adaptor to follow maybe 1-2 weeks after. 

Is this the same blue plug from the rear camera? Connects into the IPA ECU under the passenger seat.

Is there an adapter to feed all four cameras into the phono input of the head unit? I assume the IPA just sends one picture to be displayed ont the head unit (Pioneer in my case).

IMG_4036.thumb.JPG.c4fb360569fda9abf74d0b1496018c7d.JPG

Hi, Laurence. Yep, that's it, and the adaptor I got should do it. Company in UK, Audiotechdirect say in their blurb that it will do 370 cameras, or just rear. £100 unfortunately! But the same thing in Ali Express for about £40 after tax and shipping. I got this

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 
£30.49 | SKYFAME Car 360 Original Panoramic Reversing Camera Decoder Canbus Box For Toyota LDVS To CVBS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyQR3JH

The B mod one. 

Both it and the stereo still in transit. If you can wait a few weeks, I can confirm if it worked .

Ah just reread your msg. Yes, it's the blue gvif connection ( Gigabit Video Interface) at the ECU, and then up at the head unit same again. So hopefully, won't need to go to the ECU. Apparently, some sellers chuck in a lead which goes down from head unit to ECU and make it work that way. I have been led to believe all connections are at the head unit. The seller was very communicative, but the language barrier means I am still unsure whether it will work😂😂

Unfortunately I don't have any matching connectors at the head unit so presumably I would need to run a phono from under the seat up to the dash.

Ah. I was led to believe you either have the gvif, which is then 360 compatible whether you have the system fitted or not, or the old analogue type connector, 4 wires, red, black, white, yellow. 

I'm getting a little confused. Can you clarify for me. The blue plug I pulled out of the IPA ECU, is that the input from just the rear camera or all four cameras?

It looks like the adapter connects to the removed cable with the blue plug, but I'm thinking it should be a video output from the ECU that needs to go to the head unit. 

I hope that makes sense. 

I haven't seen what's what at the ECU. My understanding is that analogue from my rear camera arrives at the ECU. Digital leaves it (gvif) and goes to the head unit.

The adaptor I have purchased will, hopefully, take that digital and go back to analogue at the head unit. 

I shall try to remember to take pics as I go, and post them all here.

On 7/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, Laurence said:

I'm getting a little confused. Can you clarify for me. The blue plug I pulled out of the IPA ECU, is that the input from just the rear camera or all four cameras?

It looks like the adapter connects to the removed cable with the blue plug, but I'm thinking it should be a video output from the ECU that needs to go to the head unit. 

I hope that makes sense. 

If you have the underseat ipa ecu, the cameras are analogue inputs too it, with the gvif being a combined video and overlay going to the headunit. 

If you have more than one camera, the camera button on the right of steering wheel will continue to cycle through the front/side/rear view, although you cannot interact with the display via the aftermarket headunit, as it will not have the gvif return path as it has been converted to cvds or ldvs

Ok, stereo arrived today. It really was plug and play. No rear camera image, he did say, and has chucked in a rear camera. But everything else works., including steering wheel controls, and the amp for the 18 speaker system, which sounds so much better going thru a DSP! Aircon controls all work well. It's 8gb ram, so android 13 is butter smooth, and thanks to android 13, I have wireless android auto. A great upgrade. My one gripe with the seller : he gave a breakout cable for the roof monitor, but it plugs in at the monitor. It has a yellow RCA out lead, so I'll now have to get about 5/6 m RCA lead and get it down to the head unit. Small gripe for now. A good purchase, I think. Oh yeah, and it has canbus built in interface to a degree : shows when any door or the tailgate is open. So now just waiting on that gvif box, which hopefully will resurrect the original rear camera. Screen protector still on it, so may look a bit washed out in the pic!!

Screenshot_20240709_224701_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240709_224734_Photos.jpg

Ok, so further update : the "360 adaptor" didn't work. Refunded though. Their camera doesn't fit well, so ordered a (hopefully) better one. The roof monitor is in portrait, lol! So after running in an RCA lead, it seems the hdmi to VGA box they provided is mirroring only, and the head unit is set to portrait only, unchangeable. I guess it worked well with the upper, landscape head units, but not this Tesla style one. 

Screenshot_20240714_173914_WhatsApp.jpg

Oh yeah, and the 4 wires coming out of my camera are red, black, white, white with black stripe. 

I tried to get it going with a 6v Stepdown and a transmitter/receiver assy, but no luck. 

I assumed : red 6v. Black gnd. White video +, white with black stripe video-. 

Nothing upfront. Transmitter comes on with reverse lamp. Receiver is on ACC up front, so assuming it's the camera wiring I have mixed up.

Final piece of the puzzle : there was an hdmi assistant button, which alters hdmi out. This was off in the extensive settings. So all ok now 

Screenshot_20240717_093838_WhatsApp.jpg