Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

How can I disable room lights?

Hi All, I'm new here and a new owner of my first campervan which is a converted 2008 Alphard.  Loving it after my first couple of weeks! 

I have a problem though - I use the rear passenger door mostly to get in and out of the living area and almost always leave it open.  This means the room lights are often on for hours since I don't always remember to turn them off.  (requiring 4 button pushes)! They are very hard to notice in daylight especially because they are virtually hidden by the camper fit out.  Ideally I would like to disable them completely but don't know if this is possible.  I ordered the owners manual thinking I could take out the appropriate fuse but it seems this is in the only fuse box that needs to be opened by a Toyota dealer!  Any ideas please as I'm sure it's draining my battery?  The front door lights are also not needed and stay on the whole time the doors are open.  I suppose I can just take those bulbs out but it doesn't seem easy to get the covers off!  Thanks in anticipation....

Hi Richard, thanks but that is the first thing I did but it only affects the light above the rear view mirror.  The ones in the back of the vehicly (long strip lights each side) still come on regardless!  Any other ideas?!

hello open drivers side sliding door where light is above your head there is 2 buttons one says door make sure is not pressed in this will turn off all lights in the back when you open any of the 2 rear doors including tailgate you will need to deativate the front courtesy light in the front 2 stop lights coming on on front doors picture atatched 

light.jpg

On 9/17/2024 at 8:40 PM, DB7 said:

Hi Richard, thanks but that is the first thing I did but it only affects the light above the rear view mirror.  The ones in the back of the vehicly (long strip lights each side) still come on regardless!  Any other ideas?!

Your vehicle is listed as a 10 series. 

You sure you don't have a 20 series?

Hi Chris

My vehicle is 2008 2.4ltr  I've no idea what series it is and wasn't aware that I had listed it as 10 series!

The previous message didn't help as the button says room and only turns off the lights until any door is opened again.  Also the first 3 presses just dim the lights and the 4th turns them off.  It's driving me mad!

27 minutes ago, DB7 said:

Hi Chris

My vehicle is 2008 2.4ltr  I've no idea what series it is and wasn't aware that I had listed it as 10 series!

The previous message didn't help as the button says room and only turns off the lights until any door is opened again.  Also the first 3 presses just dim the lights and the 4th turns them off.  It's driving me mad!

What is the beginning of the VIN ?

ANH 10, or 20 ?

It is on the B pillar nearside.

On 9/19/2024 at 9:08 PM, Rojie said:

What is the beginning of the VIN ?

ANH 10, or 20 ?

It is on the B pillar nearside.

Hi Richard, Thanks for your potential help and sorry for slow reply.  The vehicle  is a Japanese import and the only nearside label I have found so far is in Japanese hyroglyphics with no ANH number.  I will look again when it stops raining!

On 9/19/2024 at 8:39 PM, DB7 said:

Hi Chris

Long press will turn them fully off.

There are aftermarket modules you can fit that add a memory function, so the lights remember how you left them when switching off ignition. 

The bad news is, i lost my browser bookmarks when i updated phone, and my backup was not up to date. 

I had a few websites, in Japanese, that has dozens of upgrades, things like follow me home lighting module, under sliding door kick sensor to open/close when your hands were holding shopping, the interior light memory function etc. I've been searching for ages to find these sites again

The label does have Japanese but no numbers representing the VIN.  I have however found it on the invoice for the vehicle and now know that it is ANH 20

Thanks to all trying to help - so far nothing has worked!  The long button press does nothing different to pressing it 4 times.  ie the lights come back on as soon as any door is opened....

On 9/23/2024 at 7:34 PM, DB7 said:

The label does have Japanese but no numbers representing the VIN.  I have however found it on the invoice for the vehicle and now know that it is ANH 20

Thanks to all trying to help - so far nothing has worked!  The long button press does nothing different to pressing it 4 times.  ie the lights come back on as soon as any door is opened....

Your vin is also under the small removable plastic cover on the floor just in front of drivers seat.

It means you have a 20 series, the ambient rear lighting has a control module behind the rear climate controls.

I've not looked into it, but it should be possible to add a switch to kill power to the rear lights, i imagine you could intercept the live from the b pillar, not I've not bothered to locate the actual wire. 

You could check the wiring diagram available online.

An20 is 2008 onwards you have your profile listed as 2002 - 2008 this is not helping other members help you with the correct information when asking for help I will edit your profile to correct year 

Thanks Chris, that sounds like a possibility worth trying.  I'm currently sitting in 'Alphie' in the rain in the middle of a field and my new lifestyle makes sorting these things out less than straight forward but I'll look into it when I can...  Meanwhile it's the manual method again and again and again!

Denise 

Ok. 

I think i have an idea.

The long roof lights.

There is a connector junction block that seems to loop back.

If we break this loopback and fit a separate on off switch, we can manually defeat the logic that activates the mood lighting completely. 

The following images show the circuit, the connector and it's location. 

You can see the circuit literally shorts pins 9 and 10, and pins 20 and 21 together. 

If we access the socket, expose the wiring and cut, fit a DPDT switch, we can manually override the operation of the auto mood lights.

IMG_20241009_110430190.jpg

IMG_20241009_110424626.jpg

IMG_20241009_110455572.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Thanks so much for looking that up for me and apologies for my very slow reply.  I can't keep up with everything whilst camping in the rain!  I'm afraid electrical stuff is all double dutch to me but I need to find a campervan technician to help with the solar system so I will see if he can follow your instructions and I'll let you know the outcome.  Now the weather is colder the door is open for much less time but I will try and get it sorted before the next warm weather.