Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Has anyone done their own conversion? and other possibly silly questions!

Hi, Newbie here, (so possibly daft questions to follow!)  I've posted another thread about vehicle specific questions but these are more about the "camper" side of things...

• Has anyone done their own conversion and if so your thoughts please?
  • Do the seats in an Alphard in it's car format go down to make a flat "bed" at all? (am thinking it would work short term for me to meet my initial needs (house hunting far afield!)
  • Does anyone have a conversion with a more "fixed" single bed? I know they are out there but would be interested in details 
  • I'm very short, what's the width of the inside space - could I get a way with a custom made fixed bed that goes across the vehicle?
  • I think the windows have standard "car" glazing as opposed to double glazed motor home type windows, does this cause condensation and prohibitive heating costs (have wild idea I may want to use it in the winter LOL)
  • PLEASE ADD ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT THINK IS USEFUL, OR YOU WISH YOU'D KNOWN OR THOUGHT OF!

Really glad to have found this group!  Janine 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janine

The seats go almost fully flat, but you would require some custom made cushions to go on top of the seats to make it fully flat. I bought my Alphard from this site, and this is a link to some good pictures of the seats flat with cushions - https://www.hertfordcampers.co.uk/toyota-alphard-elevator#&gid=1787709184&pid=31

I believe the back seats (removed in the pictures linked above) also go flat.

Can't help on the single bed question, but I am in the process of removing the middles seats, and building custom wooden boxes in an L shape to put in, in their place, with a double bed pop up structure.

The width inside (2007 model) differs depending on where your measuring, the widest point is where the middle row of seats are and is approx 160cm, towards the back of the vehicles it seems to get narrower due to the extra side pockets, I am going down to the garage to later and will measure properly for you. But It would be tight, depends how short you are!

I have been noticing condensation yes, which makes me slightly cautious of damp issues long term, planning on ventilating as mush as possible while on the move, maybe cracking a window overnight if temps allow. On the topic of heating, I have only done spring/summer stays so far and the temp is perfect, never too hot, never cold.

Something important I've not seen mentioned anywhere yet.... depending on model, some have an auto unlock feature so if the car key is in your pocket you can open the front doors even if they are 'locked' therefore if you stay in the car overnight, be sure to lock the doors and then put the keys towards the back of the car, otherwise someone could just open the door. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bounzy said:

Hi Janine

The seats go almost fully flat, but you would require some custom made cushions to go on top of the seats to make it fully flat. I bought my Alphard from this site, and this is a link to some good pictures of the seats flat with cushions - https://www.hertfordcampers.co.uk/toyota-alphard-elevator#&gid=1787709184&pid=31

I believe the back seats (removed in the pictures linked above) also go flat.

Can't help on the single bed question, but I am in the process of removing the middles seats, and building custom wooden boxes in an L shape to put in, in their place, with a double bed pop up structure.

The width inside (2007 model) differs depending on where your measuring, the widest point is where the middle row of seats are and is approx 160cm, towards the back of the vehicles it seems to get narrower due to the extra side pockets, I am going down to the garage to later and will measure properly for you. But It would be tight, depends how short you are!

I have been noticing condensation yes, which makes me slightly cautious of damp issues long term, planning on ventilating as mush as possible while on the move, maybe cracking a window overnight if temps allow. On the topic of heating, I have only done spring/summer stays so far and the temp is perfect, never too hot, never cold.

Something important I've not seen mentioned anywhere yet.... depending on model, some have an auto unlock feature so if the car key is in your pocket you can open the front doors even if they are 'locked' therefore if you stay in the car overnight, be sure to lock the doors and then put the keys towards the back of the car, otherwise someone could just open the door. 

Thank you!  really exciting isn't it?  can't wait to get started, good point re the key!! have fun and enjoy your transformation of the Alphard!  Janine

Bounzy,

I might be interested in your middle seats, but only if they swivel !

Do they ? If so, what colour scheme are they ?

Is your Alphard a seven or eight seater ?

Best regards      Roger

On 7/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, Rojie said:

Bounzy,

I might be interested in your middle seats, but only if they swivel !

Do they ? If so, what colour scheme are they ?

Is your Alphard a seven or eight seater ?

Best regards      Roger

Hi Roger

They do indeed swivel!

They are cream, and from a 2007 model (just, registered 1st Jan 2007), I believe it's a 7 seater, however I bought it partially converted so the back seats were already removed, do you know how I can check? V05 doesn't help as it's imported and states 5 seats because that's what it now has!