Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

New Alphard owner any good tips please

Hello all, just put a deposit down on a 2008 3L V6 MzG Aero alphard... Must admit I'm slightly nervous of making the wrong decision but excited too... Would love to hear of any useful hints tips.

Was a Grade 3 on the import scale?? Has a toyota surround sound system. Sat nav in Japanese, was advised not to replace this as it would affect the sound system ( any thoughts?)

Any good driving tips I should be aware of? Haven't driven anything van size for quite a while..

Check your month of production falls within this cables parameters, and it will retain the full speaker system. Expensive but works depending on the replacement stereo you choose...

https://www.caraudioexpress.co.uk/collections/beat-sonic/products/beat-sonic-slx-131

• Like 1

You won't keep the cameras though, and you will need additional cables to get it all working properly like:

https://www.caraudioexpress.co.uk/collections/beat-sonic/products/beat-sonic-bc15-reverse-camera-adapter-for-toyota

Would i do it again?.....No I don't think I would as long as you can get a decent Bluetooth transmitter....

• Like 1

I have a 2006 MZ G with the HDD Head Unit.

All four cameras work, but the screen needs shielding from bright light. I expect to make a visor from plasticard.

My FM radio does not work, but frequency shifters are available (I don't have one yet) that will give you UK FM; but you won't get the whole UK band.

The shifters are about £15 and need to be fitted between the headunit and the aerial (could be tricky). Will the window Alphard aerial suffice  ? I don't know.

It's very early days for me but, the CD player works and copies to the 30gb hard drive, very neat trick.

The DVD works with region 2 DVDs; a major surprise; but I have only tried a couple of discs so far.

I have been looking at an Alpine unit that plays CDs/DVDs Sat Nav and a host of new techo features I do not need (or know how to use).

All the speakers work fine, the sound is very acceptable. If you delve into the headunit you can mess with faders and dsp !

My Sat Nav does not work, and I don't believe you will get yours working either. Some people have replaced their head units where, I believe acquiring the correct cables is a major hassle.

Eightseater does a very nice blog on this unit as it is not featured in the JPNZ manual. I'll try and fined a link.

My advice on the sound system change ? Be careful; it will be expensive to get a professional to sort it out if you can't.

We all suffer New Owner Syndrome, appreciate what you have and proceed with care.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride, you will be very pleased.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Catweazle said:

You won't keep the cameras though, and you will need additional cables to get it all working properly like:

https://www.caraudioexpress.co.uk/collections/beat-sonic/products/beat-sonic-bc15-reverse-camera-adapter-for-toyota

Would i do it again?.....No I don't think I would as long as you can get a decent Bluetooth transmitter....

good to know thank you think I might need the cameras particularly parking in London so that's really good to know.

10 hours ago, Rojie said:

I have a 2006 MZ G with the HDD Head Unit.

All four cameras work, but the screen needs shielding from bright light. I expect to make a visor from plasticard.

My FM radio does not work, but frequency shifters are available (I don't have one yet) that will give you UK FM; but you won't get the whole UK band.

The shifters are about £15 and need to be fitted between the headunit and the aerial (could be tricky). Will the window Alphard aerial suffice  ? I don't know.

It's very early days for me but, the CD player works and copies to the 30gb hard drive, very neat trick.

The DVD works with region 2 DVDs; a major surprise; but I have only tried a couple of discs so far.

I have been looking at an Alpine unit that plays CDs/DVDs Sat Nav and a host of new techo features I do not need (or know how to use).

All the speakers work fine, the sound is very acceptable. If you delve into the headunit you can mess with faders and dsp !

My Sat Nav does not work, and I don't believe you will get yours working either. Some people have replaced their head units where, I believe acquiring the correct cables is a major hassle.

Eightseater does a very nice blog on this unit as it is not featured in the JPNZ manual. I'll try and fined a link.

My advice on the sound system change ? Be careful; it will be expensive to get a professional to sort it out if you can't.

We all suffer New Owner Syndrome, appreciate what you have and proceed with care.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride, you will be very pleased.

thank you, ours is a HDD headunit too. Haven't really tested it out yet and checked everything on it. Will do before I take it away from the lot. Also I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself so would defo need to find somone to do  it sounds a bit risk.. If I can play music through the blue tooth from my phone and use that sat nav from my phone.. Guess I'll know once I've been in it for a while!

Just hoping I've made the right choice for the family.. It's a bit of a smooth beast!

I do not know if you can hook up your phone to the HDD HU via Bluetooth. Was Bluetooth around in 2003, or earlier when your vehicle was designed.

Were I Phones or Android available back then. I'm too old to remember !

The unit does support phones, although, I suspect only in Japan; but I am guessing. I have not tried any phone connections so cannot advise.

I was fixated with having an all singing set up. Now , I will be going for separate approaches to Sat Nav, HiFi and TV.

I have not even tried to get the TV working. I suspect it won't. Probably, but i do not know, TV and DVD will not function if the vehicle is in motion.

On 7/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, Rojie said:

I do not know if you can hook up your phone to the HDD HU via Bluetooth. Was Bluetooth around in 2003, or earlier when your vehicle was designed.

Were I Phones or Android available back then. I'm too old to remember !

The unit does support phones, although, I suspect only in Japan; but I am guessing. I have not tried any phone connections so cannot advise.

I was fixated with having an all singing set up. Now , I will be going for separate approaches to Sat Nav, HiFi and TV.

I have not even tried to get the TV working. I suspect it won't. Probably, but i do not know, TV and DVD will not function if the vehicle is in motion.

hey there, I've managed to connect my phone upto the blue tooth handsfree, now trying to figure out whether I can play spotify through it. Only picked it up today...