Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard Stock Head Unit Issue

Hopefully posting this in the right place, apologies if I've not.

Bought a 2004/54-plate 3.0 V6 Alphard a fortnight ago and been tinkering with it over the last week. It did have an aftermarket head unit connected up, which I (think I) managed to break while trying to reconnect the ceiling DVD player.

I managed to pick up an original head unit from eBay for £21, which the seller assured was working when they removed it from their car, but I'm struggling to get it working in my Alphard. I plug it in, making sure all the available connections are attached, but I get no display (ignition on and off). Weirdly though, if I press the Open button, the front opens up and I have access to the CD and minidisc drives. I tried holding in the Power button for a few seconds, but no joy.

I checked all the fuses and they seem fine. I found the 12V pin on the connector and put a multimeter on it and got a good signal (over 12V). There also seems to be a good ground connection. 

Not sure what else I can check, or if there are known issues transferring a head unit from one Alphard to another? (Security locked or something?)

Any help would be appreciated here, as its driving me bonkers. Cheers!

Which head unit do you have ?

There are several, depending on the model and year.

There is an English language manual produced by JPNZ Manuals.

I bought mine off ebay (or maybe Amazon).

£25 ish and worth it.

It has many head units but NOT the HDD unit (which I have).

There is an article out there by eightseaters.com (I think, certainly similar) that covers the HDD unit.

Good luck.

Edited by Rojie
Correction of spelling

9 hours ago, Rojie said:

Which head unit do you have ?

There are several, depending on the model and year.

There is an English language manual produced by JPNZ Manuals.

I bought mine off ebay (or maybe Amazon).

£25 ish and worth it.

It has many head units but NOT the HDD unit (which I have).

There is an article out there by eightseaters.com (I think, certainly similar) that covers the HDD unit.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I didn't realise that there was more than one stock head unit - I've attached a photo of the one I bought to this reply. The only thing I can see that looks like a model number on it, is 16036 printed on the front. Not sure if this helps?

IMG-20210820-WA0002.jpg

So, is this the unit you bought from ebay ?

Which car did it come from ?

This unit is not in the handbook I have; but then nor are any other navigation units !

The handbook contains several radio cd units with radio and MD; but none with DVD !

This is not the HDD navigation system found in many of the Alphards. As such, I don't recognise it.

My guess is, the unit you bought did not come from an Alphard.

Sorry I can't help you more.

23 minutes ago, Rojie said:

I found one of these on the internet, from a 2003 ANH15W model.

Part number 86120 58031, if that is any help.

Sorry, was in the car checking - you were almost right, the part number on the top of the unit is 86120-58030.

I don't have any electronics under the passenger seat, but I think there may have been something there at some point, as there is a bunch of loose cables still there that go under the floor.

So it may have been my own stupidity here that was the issue. I was sure I'd checked all of the relevant fuses - two under the bonnet and one under the glove box - but I must've checked the wrong one inside the car. After I changed the 10A fuse (number 25 I think) in the glove box, everything started working.

Apologies for wasting everyone's time here and thanks for the help/advice given.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, Rojie said:

So, is this the unit you bought from ebay ?

Which car did it come from ?

This unit is not in the handbook I have; but then nor are any other navigation units !

The handbook contains several radio cd units with radio and MD; but none with DVD !

This is not the HDD navigation system found in many of the Alphards. As such, I don't recognise it.

My guess is, the unit you bought did not come from an Alphard.

Sorry I can't help you more.

I have atoyota alphard 2004 v6 and its the same radio as mine .if that helps