Jump to content
Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

sliding door problem


Recommended Posts

Hi All, my sliding door only shuts to about 70% of the way then opens again. the other side works perfectly.   I had this before and found the window was open a bit, shut the window and it worked ok, but this time windows are shut. Also if you turn the power button off and shut the door manually it is quite stiff and will not close fully.  I am guessing the (bowden) cable is worn out and catching.  Anybody had this problem, before I order a new cable?  

Kendo.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would guess problem with cable; these are high wear items due to frequent use, heavy doors, quite thin cable for the job So they wear out easily. You might get away with a clean up and re-lube to fix it. If the plastic sleeve is still on the cable then lube it with a ptfe spray but if the plastic has worn through so they you’re down to bare metal cable then use a good quality waterproof grease.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Hi there. I've stumbled across this whilst doing a search.

We have just received our 2007 Alphard. 

The passenger door seems to have the same issue as above. 

It's really stiff to close manually and closes part way on the motor and comes open again.

Was there any resolution to this issue? @kendo. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Kink43 said:

Please forgive me as I'm new to these cars. Bit is this the cable that is referred to above?

received_680257962977051.jpeg

 

The problem with Amayama is shipping costs.

Now you have the part number try Toyota Direct.

They can only say yes or no.

Shipping will be more reasonable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

 

The problem with Amayama is shipping costs.

Now you have the part number try Toyota Direct.

They can only say yes or no.

Shipping will be more reasonable.

Thank you. Is that the correct part that fails and causes the door to be stiff etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kink43 said:

Thank you. Is that the correct part that fails and causes the door to be stiff etc?

 

I wouldn't know.

 

I suggest you send a PM to Picasso. He should be able to help you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

I've had an issue yesterday where the electrical rear passenger door went really slow trying to close and eventually reversed a reopened. When I switched it to manual the door was ridiculously stiff to close, however the cable was not broken. I then tested the driver side and found that one to be really stiff also but not quite as bad. Today I got the door open a little and sprayed some WD40 on all the runners and wheels on the three tracks. I then cleaned and degreased them using clutch and brake cleaner spray then dried them all down with plenty of blue roll. Then I re-applied a tiny amount of WD40 lubricant to the bearings of the wheels on the runners....it's important not to use a grease or anything that will leave any sort of sticky residue on the tracks as this will make dust and grime stick to it rather than it running freely. The bottom runner just needed a really good clean with a microfibre cloth and degreaser and a tiny bit of lubricant in the bearing of the wheels that run on the tracks. I also found that the door would stick slightly when trying to open. I found the rubbers door seals around the perimeter of the door opening had gone slightly sticky and were grabbing at the door. I cleaned the door surfaces (hard to do the upper section without a hop-up) and rubbers using a dry PTFE spray. The doors on manual became silky smooth albeit still heavy but now both operate very quickly and quietly using the electrics.

I suspect that over time the runners and wheels seize up with dirt and gunk and cause additional stress to the motor and cables and will eventually cause cable or motor to give up. I recommend doing this as a preventive maintenance job once a year to save yourself the aggravation and inconvenience of busted cables in the future. Whilst I had all the lubes out, I lubed all the hinge points on the front doors and tailgate too.

Total job took about 1 hour including cleaning up the bodywork from drips and oversprays. I used an entire roll of blue roll, plus an entire spray tin of clutch and brake cleaner, 1/4 can of dry PTFE spray and 1/2 can of WD40 with the straw.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.