Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Newbie seeking advice

Hi there, 

I bought a 2002 Alphard with camper conversion a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with it so far. 

However, as a newbie, I could do with some advice:

1. Unfortunately, got a stone chip in the windscreen today (less than 2p-coin-sized on the passenger side). Very much hoping that it's repairable. If not, how easy is it going to be to get hold of a replacement windscreen? My insurance only covers me up to 1000GBP but I'm guessing Nationwide Windscreens (my insurer's preferred repairer) might have trouble getting hold of a replacement, so worried that the total may go north of 1000.

2. The vehicle only came with one key (private sale). I've found a company - autolockmaster - in Cheltenham who say they can cut me a spare and programme the chip for about 160GBP. Does anyone have experience of this company and is this a reasonable price? Are there other alternatives out there?

3. Is it worth getting the vehicle 'waxoiled' underneath? I've heard Alphards are less prone to rust issues than Mazda Bongos, say. 

Any help much appreciated. 

3. Is it worth getting the vehicle 'waxoiled' underneath? I've heard Alphards are less prone to rust issues than Mazda Bongos, say. 

no brainer...….. YES or at least undersealed
can't help with the other 2 questions though soz

1. Unfortunately, got a stone chip in the windscreen today (less than 2p-coin-sized on the passenger side). Very much hoping that it's repairable. If not, how easy is it going to be to get hold of a replacement windscreen? My insurance only covers me up to 1000GBP but I'm guessing Nationwide Windscreens (my insurer's preferred repairer) might have trouble getting hold of a replacement, so worried that the total may go north of 1000.

Worth getting it checked the windscreen from FB posts are around 100-200 pounds.

2. The vehicle only came with one key (private sale). I've found a company - autolockmaster - in Cheltenham who say they can cut me a spare and programme the chip for about 160GBP. Does anyone have experience of this company and is this a reasonable price? Are there other alternatives out there?

Buy a key off the internet or go to Toyota directly that way you wont face any issues. As the coding for these keys are different from the UK.

YES - had mine done as Japan does not salt their roads it does not rot, but here it can rot quickly. so get it undersealed.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:09 PM, TMA said:

Thank you for your advice - I'll look into undersealing/waxoiling. 

don't know what the rates are where you live but as far as i'm concerned, probably the wisest £60 I've spent.
As already stated, they don't salt their roads in Japan so undersealing is not deemed as important whereas our roads as heavily salted

2p coin sized may be too large, i think (i could be wrong) but anything bigger than 5p coin is not repairable.

When i got one i contacted a local guy who did it for £25 .. the same cost as claiming from the insurance excess. I did the maths LOL and yeah saves a claim.

look around locally for someone who can resin inject repair. May find some old boy who does it in his spare time like i did.

• 1 year later...

He is very very good 😂😂😂

a Elgrand and import expert! 

£160 is for a genuine key compete 

but can do a more modern key 

with a more modern style for 

£140 roughly 

that orice ice is pretty inline with all 

other cars in the road.

www.autolockmaster.co.uk

1F15FF03-E8FD-4643-838B-FB07B15798D8.thumb.jpeg.7645a64b2bb4d5dba0deef559fc8ed94.jpeg

Edited by Auto lock master