Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Speedometer Fault

Hi there,

I bought my 2008 Hybrid alphard a couple of months ago and in the last few weeks the speedometer has developed a fault.  It takes a while for the speedo to "turn on", I'll be driving and sometimes it can be a mile before it turns on.  Once it does it seems to work ok.  Has anyone had this fault before and if so what was the caus and fix?

Thanks, Jason

10 minutes ago, Jay Hine said:

Hi there,

I bought my 2008 Hybrid alphard a couple of months ago and in the last few weeks the speedometer has developed a fault.  It takes a while for the speedo to "turn on", I'll be driving and sometimes it can be a mile before it turns on.  Once it does it seems to work ok.  Has anyone had this fault before and if so what was the caus and fix?

Thanks, Jason

Hello Jason,

Welcome to the Forum.

It's the speedo chip behind the clock this is fitted by the dealer to convert kph to mph the chip used is called a ckun09 I would say the chip not at fault but the installation of it they are supposed to be soldered in but lots of fitters use wire connections which is no good .

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Mark Stewart said:

Hi Jay

Did you get a resolution to your speedo fault. I have a similar issue where the speedo stops working sometimes.

I would be extremely interested in whether you solved the problem and whether you could give ne some advice.

Mark

I had this problem while test driving.

Apparently it was caused by the loose chip earth wire.

• 2 months later...

Hi, if it’s any help I removed my block connectors and soldered mine behind the dash after engine light came on and the Speedo needle was acting erratically. Easy to get to behind dash and alter.

yet to test speedo but engine light is out.

B98098DC-E86C-46F9-A0F4-6C445D018AE7.jpeg

• Like 1

We’ll after having thought I’d fixed my erratic speedo needle (wouldn’t go past 20kmh and jumping) and the engine light coming on - I was wrong.

Had soldered all joints to the converter unit including the earth connector but in the end went with the advice to remove the converter and all now working as it should.

Will probably go for the mph dial face instead.

So I hope this tale adds to helping anyone in the future.🤨

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, nov said:

I had this problem while test driving.

Apparently it was caused by the loose chip earth wire.

I seems to have a similar problem on a 2002 alphard 2Azfe fwd 2.4L,as it works very rarely when it is too much raining.Otherwise most of the times it seems to reaching till 20 mph and then jumping to 30 mph and then coming back to 20,even at higher speed.On rare occasions on some days the speedometer seems to be fine.One garage advised to change speed sensor but was of no use after changing.I believe it is loose earth,as it works on heavy rains some how,but not sure where to find this loose earth issue.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by sarath
Vehicle details updated