Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Toyota Alphard Hybrid battery problem

I bought a 2004 Toyota Alphard hybrid 2.4 auto from a dealer back in August, which had a new hybrid battery fitted before I collected it.

I've had a flat battery 3 times since October. The camper is under a years warranty and after the 2nd flat battery the dealer replaced the 12v battery.

Since then I've had another flat battery. He's said I'm not driving it enough to charge it, but surely the 12v shouldn't lose its charge?

I'm worried I've made an expensive mistake. Advice please.

3 hours ago, Debbie said:

I bought a 2004 Toyota Alphard hybrid 2.4 auto from a dealer back in August, which had a new hybrid battery fitted before I collected it.

I've had a flat battery 3 times since October. The camper is under a years warranty and after the 2nd flat battery the dealer replaced the 12v battery.

Since then I've had another flat battery. He's said I'm not driving it enough to charge it, but surely the 12v shouldn't lose its charge?

I'm worried I've made an expensive mistake. Advice please.

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many, if not most, of Alphie owners will understand your concern.

It's known as Post Purchase Dissonance. Most of us get it.

However, you have come to the right place to get informed opinion and advice.

I am confident some of the members will be able to offer useful advice.

I am not a Hybrid owner, but am left thinking "What is the Warranty on the new battery".

I am not sure which battery you are having trouble with?

I am assuming the Hybrid battery.

If it is your (normal) 12V battery to power the car, and start it, make sure you are turning everything off when parking the vehicle.

Make sure the room lights are off, etc.

With the cold weather we have been having recently, it could be true you are not running the vehicle enough to keep the (normal) battery sufficiently charged so, go for a medium run, or get your battery fully charged. These are simple things; but should be checked before more complicated alternatives are pursued.

Regarding your dealer. Go for a long run, several if necessary, and keep returning to them, if the problem persists, before your warranty runs out.

Let us all know how you get on.

Hi Rojie,

Thank you for your comments. To be honest I've been feeling really disheartened regarding the campervan recently.

The first 2 flat batteries were in October 2 weeks apart, and the latest one was last weekend.

I'm definitely not leaving anything switched on when I turn the engine off. The only things I have on when I'm driving are the lights on auto, the radio and occasionally the heater depending on how cold it is.

Although I bought it with a rear conversion, done by Northstar on the IOW I don't intend to sleep in it. I plan to use it more for days trips out once the weather improves a bit. 

The AA man who jump started it Saturday suggested I sit in it afterwards with the engine running for 40 mins to give it time to charge itself up.

I'm working from home during the week and am nervous about driving it during the evenings, so I'm currently only driving it at weekends or if I have a day off midweek.

I'm thinking I might sit in it of an evening midweek just to run the engine for a bit. Wish me luck 🍀

1 hour ago, Debbie said:

Hi Rojie,

Thank you for your comments. To be honest I've been feeling really disheartened regarding the campervan recently.

The first 2 flat batteries were in October 2 weeks apart, and the latest one was last weekend.

I'm definitely not leaving anything switched on when I turn the engine off. The only things I have on when I'm driving are the lights on auto, the radio and occasionally the heater depending on how cold it is.

Although I bought it with a rear conversion, done by Northstar on the IOW I don't intend to sleep in it. I plan to use it more for days trips out once the weather improves a bit. 

The AA man who jump started it Saturday suggested I sit in it afterwards with the engine running for 40 mins to give it time to charge itself up.

I'm working from home during the week and am nervous about driving it during the evenings, so I'm currently only driving it at weekends or if I have a day off midweek.

I'm thinking I might sit in it of an evening midweek just to run the engine for a bit. Wish me luck 🍀

I wish you luck.

Most vehicle batteries take quite an extra load during the winter. Cold starts, lots of lights, etc

I had a problem with one of my cars. The AA gave me the same advice, and it worked.

So, to be clear, we are discussing the vehicle battery; we are not discussing the hybrid battery ?

Did Northstar fit a leisure battery ?

It is not unusual in a camper conversion.

Did you buy the camper from Northstar ? Or another dealer ?

Do you have a battery charger ?

Do you have the ability, garage or drive, to charge your 12v battery overnight.

It would seem that none of your three 12v batteries has been able to hold a charge.

It seems to me, that your batteries must be suffering some form of constant battery drain.

Are you able to visit a Kwik Fit, or another similar business, and get your battery tested ?

I'll try and refer this to a couple of our members for their opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 7:58 PM, Debbie said:

Hi Rojie,

Hello Debbie, good morning,

Have you made any progress on this battery problem ?

I am trying to help someone else who has a similar problem, also on a 2004 model

Morning Rojie,

Is there Alphard also a hybrid? It seems from what I've found out that the hybrid battery is actually the main battery, not the 12v one after all. 

The dealer I bought it off said I'm not driving it enough to charge it up, however he never at any point told me that the hybrid battery was the main one it ran from.

So I've been sitting in the camper on the driveway with the engine running during the evening for 20 mins once a week to charge it up as I'm only currently driving it at weekends. 

I've even asked the dealer if he'd buy it back off me or sell it on my behalf, and he's advised me to sell it myself as I would get the majority of my money back that way.

It's going in for it's 6 month check under the warranty in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how I feel about it after that 

Thanks Debbie

45 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Morning Rojie,

Is there Alphard also a hybrid? It seems from what I've found out that the hybrid battery is actually the main battery, not the 12v one after all. 

The dealer I bought it off said I'm not driving it enough to charge it up, however he never at any point told me that the hybrid battery was the main one it ran from.

So I've been sitting in the camper on the driveway with the engine running during the evening for 20 mins once a week to charge it up as I'm only currently driving it at weekends. 

I've even asked the dealer if he'd buy it back off me or sell it on my behalf, and he's advised me to sell it myself as I would get the majority of my money back that way.

It's going in for it's 6 month check under the warranty in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how I feel about it after that 

Thanks Debbie

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for your reply.

Hybrid vehicles, if you have one, should show a ready light soon after starting.

I don't have a Hybrid so am very little knowledge of them.

The Hybrid motor uses a 240v battery to power the rear wheels.

There is also a 12v auxiliary battery.

I am guessing the trouble you are having is with the 12v auxiliary battery.

Presumably, the fault, whatever it is, can be rectified under the warranty.

If you bought from a Dealer, VAT will have been paid.

You are unlikely to recover that portion of the purchase price; but you never know.

Can you tell me the model number you have ?

It will look similar to ANH10W, ANH15W.

Hi Debbie,

I don't think you need to worry about it to much I have a AH10 2007 Hybrid and had similar experience.

The 12v battery is located under the centre armrest and is small so loses charge over a relatively short period powering the alarm system etc.

I believe the 12 volt is used to start the hybrid system and hybrid system battery  then through clever electronics powers the starter motor.

It is advisable to drive the car for around 1 hour a week to keep the 12 volt battery charged.

If your not going to use the car for extended periods it might be worth fitting a small solar panel to the jump start terminal under the bonnet to maintain the charge but I would discuss this with the dealer first.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 5:58 AM, Samuel Mwanakufwa said:

I have this Alphard hybrid E-four. It's giving me warning lights for VSC and at the same time the hybrid light. After some time it's giving me a engine oil light and immediately cutting off.

Any advice from anyone with such issues and how it was sorted out 

IMG_20220609_134904.jpg

I'm having the same issues, did you fix yours?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2004 Alphard Hybrid which has done the same thing. The 12V battery is very small. I replaced the battery with a bigger one which did not fix the issue. In summer with both aircons on the battery goes low as the current draw exceeds the charging capability of the vehicle (a design fault in my book as an electronic engineer). This car is different from other vehicles in that it does not charge the battery from an alternator but from an electronic battery charger. This charger seems to get overloaded when to many electrical things are switched on. I can see the charging voltage drop from 13.7 volts down to 10.7 when this happens. The voltage goes back up to 13.7V after a while when all the fans&aircons are switched off. It seems like the charger overheats and limits the power. Now all this happens when I use the vehicle in D mode. Currently I am trying S mode to see if the problem still occur.  

• 1 year later...

I currently have an Alphard 

I am 👀 to buy an Alphard hybrid. The dealer has explained it has a bank of batteries, 11 or 13 I think. He has said to buy a replacement single battery is about £30 but since they are located under the floor it’s a costly fix.

it is not a camper so does it also have a 12v leisure battery? Am confused with previous comments about flat batteries.

hope above makes sense 

thank you

It has a hybrid battery, which is what the dealer is talking about, and it is located under the front seats rather than under the floor. Still a pain to get to to do any repairs. It is made of lots of relatively small and inexpensive cells all connected up to make a large battery. 

In addition it has the standard sort of 12V battery that a normal non-hybrid car has for powering all the same sort of things that non hybrid cars use 12V for, such as engine management, lights, heating controls, stereo, etc. This is the failed battery that is being talked about in this thread. 

Leisure batteries are also a 12V battery, but if it hasn't been converted into a camper it won't have a leisure battery. 

What is it that you are worried about in particular?