Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

GGH20 Headlight Beam Set Way Too High - Could a Rear Suspension Issue be the Cause?

drahpla

There seems to be no way to adjust it. Is there a way to adjust the base level at least? Maybe somewhere on the back of the light units themselves? I can't see anything obvious. It supposedly has self adjusting headlights, which are controlled, I believe, from an adjuster connected to the rear suspension. Now as it happens I think there is an issue with the torsion beam, in that the near side of the car sits way lower at the rear than the offside does. It's definitely not the springs, as I've just put 2 brand new ones on and it made no difference whatsoever to the issue. So this raises some questions:

1. Can I adjust the lights, either from within the engine bay or somewhere else?

2. Can I adjust the torsion beam so that the load at reast is even across both rear coil springs?

This is superb, thank you.  I'm very grateful. Am I right in thinking that the 'SST' (Special Service Tool???) used to jump the pins on the OBD connector is just a piece of wire? I can buy one from Amayama, but it's going to be £50 including delivery!

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/0984318040

Many thanks. I'm very grateful. Does the recalibrated setting match the beam heights required to pass a UK MOT? If there's no manual adjustment then I'm kind of stuck, and I'm not at all convinced that the importer I bought the car from actually put through an MOT (I think he had a 'friendly' tester just issue him a certificate).

1 hour ago, drahpla said:

Many thanks. I'm very grateful. Does the recalibrated setting match the beam heights required to pass a UK MOT? If there's no manual adjustment then I'm kind of stuck, and I'm not at all convinced that the importer I bought the car from actually put through an MOT (I think he had a 'friendly' tester just issue him a certificate).

yes, the japanese standard is practically the same as UK, as they follow the international lighting regulations.

What you could check for, is if the previous owners had modified the lights to use LED in the low beams, as they may have disconnected something.

Many thanks. I'll check for LED low beams, but I'm reasonably sure they are stock, as the light from the low beam is yellowish, whereas the light from the sidelights is white. It's possibly the side lights that are the major issue, as they light up roadside objects to about the height of the roof of the van.  BTW, where did you get a technical manual for the GGH20 in English?