Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Actions after import...do-it firsts!

Hi, I'm about to import an Alphard 2011 60k Miles, 3.5L V6 350G-L package. I was thinking of jotting list of things I like to get done as soon as it arrives. Any suggestions?
1. Change tyres
2. Change gearbox oil 
3. Change pulley idler (known issue with V6) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Febest-PULLEY-IDLER-0188-2GRFE/dp/B0784NZV41
4. Change engine oil 5w30 castrol
5. Possibly change fluids - brake and power steering 
6. Change spark plugs (to 100k Miles?)
7. Change ignition coils 
8. Change coolant 
9. Change cabin filter 
10. Add screen washer
11. Underseal the car 
12. Change battery if needed. 
13. Add fm transmission device to play music from mobile 
14. Add mobile stand 
15. Add fog light 
16. Grease wd40 silicone spray bits as needed 
17. Add camera for continuous recording 
18. Install over head display for speed
19. Get steering wheel checked (can have issues?)

20. Regas Aircon if needed

21. Check brake pads and disk

22. Secure catalytic convertor?

23. Water pump (11 year old car so must be due).

24. Put fresh battery 

25. Silicone covers for wheel nuts!

DON'T DOs
Won't change audio unit..keep original 
Won't change to Miles the odometer 

Edited by Teekay
  • Like 1

Some might think the repairs/checks lists is excess, but in my view the parts are cheap and it is economic labour wise to get things done all in one go. Take engine out for water pump, spark plug, coil, change coolant, idler pulley,change engine oil, gearbox oil etc in one go. Peace of mind and economic in long run. No breakdowns or doubts. Anyone else thinks like this? 🙂

Edited by Teekay

Hi Teekay,

My advice ?

Don't do anything until you have an MOT and the vehicle registered and insured.

Do you have rear fog lights ? You will need them for the MOT.

The MOT will identify what must be done and what needs doing.

Most imports are in good shape; I expect you won't need to do most of this.

Finding a willing mechanic, unless you are one, to do all this work

Undersealing should be a high priority.

Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your reply 👍 good points! Actually car is not imported yet, in the process. I'll sequence it roughly as you said 

1. Fog lights 

2. Mot 

3. Road tax 

4. Dvla paper 

5. Insurance 

6. Change tyres 

7. Drive for a bit and then start my exhaustive meticulous maintenance and upgrade routine checklist.

I like to keep car in highest shipshape possible and intend to keep it. Labour of love some of it. I do know some mechanic that I trust will help me do some of the work but he is qualified Honda expert of 25+ years. I hope Toyota should be familiar turf for him.

10 hours ago, Teekay said:

Many thanks for your reply 👍 good points! Actually car is not imported yet, in the process. I'll sequence it roughly as you said 

1. Fog lights 

2. Mot 

3. Road tax 

4. Dvla paper 

5. Insurance 

6. Change tyres 

7. Drive for a bit and then start my exhaustive meticulous maintenance and upgrade routine checklist.

I like to keep car in highest shipshape possible and intend to keep it. Labour of love some of it. I do know some mechanic that I trust will help me do some of the work but he is qualified Honda expert of 25+ years. I hope Toyota should be familiar turf for him.

I'm not sure, but I think you need it insured before you can tax it.

Don't forget the undersealing this summer.

• Thanks 1

I'd plan once you get the car. I have the same engine and model as you are getting. It needs an alternator pulley very soon and tailgate struts soon. 

• Thanks 1

Struts, yes, good suggestion especially if you are tall !

If buying struts, be careful.

As I discovered, there are several.

On my Gen 1 facelift, there is a large letter on the strut.

That is the type you need.

Read the ToyotaAlphardEPC carefully (and fully).

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

Struts, yes, good suggestion especially if you are tall !

If buying struts, be careful.

As I discovered, there are several.

On my Gen 1 facelift, there is a large letter on the strut.

That is the type you need.

Read the ToyotaAlphardEPC carefully (and fully).

Good Luck

Is Epc the part number list of the car? Where to get the epc? Below?

https://toyota-general.epc-data.com/alphard/

How to get "Frame Number" of my car?

3 hours ago, kully said:

I'd plan once you get the car. I have the same engine and model as you are getting. It needs an alternator pulley very soon and tailgate struts soon. 

Many thanks for your reply. It is 2011 with 60k miles, let's see how worn are the strutts when it arrives. Will need to see which brand to chose and is reputable.

By the way are eurocarpart or halfords good place for Toyota Alphard parts? I struggled searching on their website

1 hour ago, Teekay said:

Is Epc the part number list of the car? Where to get the epc? Below?

https://toyota-general.epc-data.com/alphard/

How to get "Frame Number" of my car?

I believe that is the link, or something very similar.

For the epc you will need the model number which is normally on the nearside B pillar.

It will look like ANH20, or similar.

The 'plate' should also have your VIN number.

For some search engines the VIN is helpful; some not.

There are only two sources for struts, that I know of. Toyota and Aliexpress.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rojie said:

I believe that is the link, or something very similar.

For the epc you will need the model number which is normally on the nearside B pillar.

It will look like ANH20, or similar.

The 'plate' should also have your VIN number.

For some search engines the VIN is helpful; some not.

There are only two sources for struts, that I know of. Toyota and Aliexpress.

You make this forum worth it Sir! 👍🥳

eurocar parts are able to supply most 'service' parts, brakes, gaskets, engine components etc, i usually use the EPC to get the part number, and plug that into google to get a compatible blueprint part, then just hand that code to the guys at the counter and its usually not a problem.

Larger parts related to body or trim, glass, struts, lights etc you can use amazon.jp, amayama, Jauce, aliexpress or toyota dealers.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

eurocar parts are able to supply most 'service' parts, brakes, gaskets, engine components etc, i usually use the EPC to get the part number, and plug that into google to get a compatible blueprint part, then just hand that code to the guys at the counter and its usually not a problem.

Larger parts related to body or trim, glass, struts, lights etc you can use amazon.jp, amayama, Jauce, aliexpress or toyota dealers.

Thankyou for detailed reply. I'll look up what blueprint part means and sellers you mentioned.

QUESTION - Is there a paper or soft copy of service manual, owner manual or Hayes repair book? They can be really handy 

2 hours ago, Teekay said:

Thankyou for detailed reply. I'll look up what blueprint part means and sellers you mentioned.

QUESTION - Is there a paper or soft copy of service manual, owner manual or Hayes repair book? They can be really handy 

There are Owners Manuals published by JPNZ available on ebay.

I would recommend the correct edition to EVERY Alphard Vellfire owner.

They are not service manuals.

Chris.ac has access to Japanese and Russian information (if you can understand it).

• Thanks 1

Owners manual would have been given with the car at point of original sale.

You CAN download PDF copies of the owners manual at toyota japan website, but its in japanese.

There IS an english version available, it is usually given with the alphards/vellfire that are sold official to other countries (China, UAE, Russia, Malaysia) but I have not cracked yet where exactly to find an official download link - given that the original is freely available from Toyota, I do not think it is wrong for me to suggest using google to search for

'pdfcoffee alphard'

The first link for me is the manual, you will see other links for the wiring diagrams (these are for 2nd gen vehicles 2008 onwards)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

Owners manual would have been given with the car at point of original sale.

You CAN download PDF copies of the owners manual at toyota japan website, but its in japanese.

There IS an english version available, it is usually given with the alphards/vellfire that are sold official to other countries (China, UAE, Russia, Malaysia) but I have not cracked yet where exactly to find an official download link - given that the original is freely available from Toyota, I do not think it is wrong for me to suggest using google to search for

'pdfcoffee alphard'

The first link for me is the manual, you will see other links for the wiring diagrams (these are for 2nd gen vehicles 2008 onwards)

Hi Chris,

The link didn't work for me.

I got an error message.

The file wouldn't load !

Hopefully, others have better luck

I assume everyone is aware of the various years and versions of Toyota Alphard 2008~ Owner's Manual/Hybrid version etc on Amazon. Example https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F0U8FZM/

Also see the review of content link below. May be someone need to contact Toyota and they can provide the pdfs..? As easy as email?

https://youtu.be/9q5B12ob0Qk

Edited by Teekay