Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Will a 3.5 make a daily driver

12 hours ago, Teekay said:

I didn't think it was about the American made issue, but more about some design flaw and it was fixed in much later years. But I am not sure when exactly and what is factual position. But personally my 2p thinks the bottom line is..280 hp vs 178, with only minimal difference in mpg, thanks I'll take the 3.5L. Oil change might be little bit more expensive and spark plug change are difficult but extra power for such big 7/8 seater van and extra six speed gear box and V6 smooth, why would anyone want to drag around with 2.4L? I know if you are use to it, you may think it is fine as you don't know what you are missing on. No offence to anyone but these are my thoughts 

For me the Alphard just isn't a car I would want to drive fast, it's a smooth luxury car. I have drove both the 3 and 2.4 the 3 is the better of the two but I wouldn't buy an Alphard on what engine it had, for me it's all to do with the spec you want, all the engines are nice and are perfect for the type of car there in

1 hour ago, Liam said:

For me the Alphard just isn't a car I would want to drive fast, it's a smooth luxury car. I have drove both the 3 and 2.4 the 3 is the better of the two but I wouldn't buy an Alphard on what engine it had, for me it's all to do with the spec you want, all the engines are nice and are perfect for the type of car there in

We also don't plan to speed at all, mostly gentle set the speed on cruiser controller at 58 mph. I see it as land cruiser of on-road family holidays. But my concern is there are times when you need to have the reserve power to get out of sticky situations. Joining motorways in busy traffic can be tricky. In Germany the motorway traffic doesn't give way to you at all and you need to join it and gather speed fast. 11.5 sec 0 to 60 can be pain at the point. Not judging those who go for 2.4l but these are my thoughts 

39 minutes ago, Teekay said:

. 11.5 sec 0 to 60 can be pain at the point. Not judging those who go for 2.4l but these are my thoughts 

I would take an eternity to get used to that 😲 when my vrs does it in 4.5 sec comfortably ( someone is bound to say why are you considering an Alphard then) LOL

The answer is that the vrs is in no way a comfortable car, you could run over a matchstick and feel it ( sarcasm)

Me and my Missus want a bit of comfort with a bit of poke when its needed

17 minutes ago, Bazzer1955 said:

I would take an eternity to get used to that 😲 when my vrs does it in 4.5 sec comfortably ( someone is bound to say why are you considering an Alphard then) LOL

The answer is that the vrs is in no way a comfortable car, you could run over a matchstick and feel it ( sarcasm)

Me and my Missus want a bit of comfort with a bit of poke when its needed

4.5 sec sounds great but as you said mpv are not for racing. I'll choose 3.5l for all the reasons above, it doesn't cost massively more, lpg can make it even better but that is TBD.  Personally I'm not going to drive with only me and wifey.. Need space that's the justification for this mammoth..and with Kids luggage dog space fills up fast. Whatever you choose, think that is the best and enjoy 👍🚘

On 6/19/2022 at 12:24 AM, Teekay said:

3.5l 2gr-fe is one the best ever v6..all best Toyota and lexus are seen as fit for it. I've not had one personally but it looks like a no brainer from limited research.

Also used in this Lotus Evora:

2021 Lotus Evora GT Prices, Reviews, and Pictures | Edmunds

We all went and had a test drive in a 2009 Alphard 3.5 today. Very nice drive, you could feel the weight in it, the interior was very nice in beige leather with all the toys. The price he wanted was far too high for what it was and he had no chance with the price he quoted me for a p/x. Also it was a grade 3 that he had tidied up, he couldn't find the auction sheet, the paintwork was as flat as a pancake as well, so we now know what they drive like.

Just now, Bazzer1955 said:

We all went and had a test drive in a 2009 Alphard 3.5 today. Very nice drive, you could feel the weight in it, the interior was very nice in beige leather with all the toys. The price he wanted was far too high for what it was and he had no chance with the price he quoted me for a p/x. Also it was a grade 3 that he had tidied up, he couldn't find the auction sheet, the paintwork was as flat as a pancake as well, so we now know what they drive like.

If you care to have nice car and ready to wait, best might be to import it yourself, plenty of guys in this business can help. I'm trying out one and hope it works. Good luck 

Btw..LOL..couldn't find the auction sheet 🐒

13 minutes ago, Bazzer1955 said:

If the dealer imported it, he will have an auction sheet ! Either way, he should have a copy !

it is advisable to see the auction sheet. Mileage, options, condition, damage, scratches, etc., etc.,

It has loads of detail.

Car dealers are in it to make money, and they have to charge VAT, which hikes the price. But.....

Some are better than others.

My advice ?

Don't hurry. Read the positive dealer (indirect) reviews in the Forum and shop around.

You will probably need to locate someone, or a company, to work on it (when required); unless you are mechanically inclined.

Many official Toyota dealers will not work on grey imports, but some will.

Good hunting.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Bazzer1955 said:

To be honest, keep looking. You can find grade 4 or 4.5 for reasonable money. The car has to reflect how the last owner looked after it, not a quick go over and a glug of mazola. 

It's frustrating and time consuming but the right car will come through. Btw, where did you see the car??

3 hours ago, Alphard Club said:

To be honest, keep looking. You can find grade 4 or 4.5 for reasonable money. The car has to reflect how the last owner looked after it, not a quick go over and a glug of mazola. 

It's frustrating and time consuming but the right car will come through. Btw, where did you see the car??

We saw this car in Rochester, to be honest we had no intention of doing a deal, 1) the car had too many miles 2) it had rust coming through in the rear 3) the guy was full of b/s, his info was incorrect 4) he buys low grade motors and tidies them up, ( washing carpets, vigorous use of a buffing wheel) 

We will probably use Jap Auto Agent after being on the phone with Paul Bowden for over an hour LOL 😵

40 minutes ago, Bazzer1955 said:

We saw this car in Rochester, to be honest we had no intention of doing a deal, 1) the car had too many miles 2) it had rust coming through in the rear 3) the guy was full of b/s, his info was incorrect 4) he buys low grade motors and tidies them up, ( washing carpets, vigorous use of a buffing wheel) 

We will probably use Jap Auto Agent after being on the phone with Paul Bowden for over an hour LOL 😵

I recently bought a 3.5 but with a really good interior. They did the usual buffing of the paintwork which i am now going to get a 2 stage detail as they did a crap job, however i will get it showroom condition once i get a small pin dent sorted.

I could also smell my carpets had been washed, however, I am not bothered about these as I make Alphard mats so will be stripping these out and installing tailored Axminster very soon.

27 minutes ago, Alphard Club said:

as I make Alphard mats so will be stripping these out and installing tailored Axminster very soon.

Hi do you mind sharing the details of Alphard mats you make? Are these custom made for campers or used for regular Alphard Vellfire too? Any pictures & prices?

1 hour ago, Bazzer1955 said:

Paul seems like a genuine guy and his contact in japan makes very interesting videos on cars they ship.

• Thanks 1