Jump to content

Will a 3.5 make a daily driver


Recommended Posts

Hi All, We are still researching Alphard's lol also looking at Elgrands. Correct me if I am wrong , the 2.4 have a cam chain, the 3.0 have a cam belt and the 3.5 have a cam chain, so far so good. The concern that I had was the windscreen in the event of a crack in the drivers view but I believe that Auto glass can source them after a bit of a wait. Where we live there is mostly motorways and dual carriageways so I reckon that a 2.4 may struggle, the 3.5 might be a better choice being that it will not have to work as hard as the 2.4 and there is no cam belt to worry about. Is an Alphard under 2 metres tall so it will fit under the barrier doing tip runs ? Would a 3.5 make a Daily Driver ?? We were going to look at some but its far too hot for looking at motors LOL

Thoughts ?? Suggestions ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mate

 

Yes windscreens are not too much of an issue, these cars are getting more common now.

 

Alphard 20 series and elgrand both come with a similar size engine. But the brutal truth is around town you'll be lucky to do 20mpg in both cars. You'll get in the mid 30s on the motorway.

However, it's a cracking motor to drive if driven softly it soaks up the roads and feels very prestige. These also have plenty of grunt and sound great when you have to apply the grunt lever (Accelerator)

I cannot compare to the Elgrand as I am a huge Toyota fan and Nissan is not for me, but not saying it's a bad car. Probably similar to be fair. I beleive the E52 is much smaller than the E51. E51 looks dated compared to 20 Series Alphard or Vellfire.

If you can go for LPG. Your money worries will be over if you do. But first do your homework on filling stations in your area. Any BP stations should be ignored as they will soon discontinue LPG. 

 

I love my 20 series, gets plenty of stares and i can hear people comment about it positively. Very practical for family or large dog owners, Can do a lot of things you need, but a 1st class ride comes at a first class price. Only thing is I wish i did not get the L package with the electric seats as a family car. They are incredibly big seats. But if you have adults in the back then can be a good option, but with kids seats I could barely fit them. Very difficult to fit due to the fixed seat arms.

Parts are not that expensive and relatively easy to obtain after a bit of research. The key is to obtain oem part numbers and then do a search and cross reference 3rd party parts, very easy and plenty of stuff available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alphard Club said:

Take a look at my response below, it's essential you find the right car that is 100% all there, all working and no bits missing. So taking your time will pay off.
 

 

 

Cheers Fella, Looks like I have loads more researching to do 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alphard Club said:

Hi mate

 

Yes windscreens are not too much of an issue, these cars are getting more common now.

 

Alphard 20 series and elgrand both come with a similar size engine. But the brutal truth is around town you'll be lucky to do 20mpg in both cars. You'll get in the mid 30s on the motorway.

However, it's a cracking motor to drive if driven softly it soaks up the roads and feels very prestige. These also have plenty of grunt and sound great when you have to apply the grunt lever (Accelerator)

I cannot compare to the Elgrand as I am a huge Toyota fan and Nissan is not for me, but not saying it's a bad car. Probably similar to be fair. I beleive the E52 is much smaller than the E51. E51 looks dated compared to 20 Series Alphard or Vellfire.

If you can go for LPG. Your money worries will be over if you do. But first do your homework on filling stations in your area. Any BP stations should be ignored as they will soon discontinue LPG. 

 

I love my 20 series, gets plenty of stares and i can hear people comment about it positively. Very practical for family or large dog owners, Can do a lot of things you need, but a 1st class ride comes at a first class price. Only thing is I wish i did not get the L package with the electric seats as a family car. They are incredibly big seats. But if you have adults in the back then can be a good option, but with kids seats I could barely fit them. Very difficult to fit due to the fixed seat arms.

Parts are not that expensive and relatively easy to obtain after a bit of research. The key is to obtain oem part numbers and then do a search and cross reference 3rd party parts, very easy and plenty of stuff available. 

I’d heard that shell discontinued lpg after some disagreement with suppliers? Only lpg station near my place is shell, so that is making me nervous about going ahead 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bazzer1955 said:

Hi All, We are still researching Alphard's lol also looking at Elgrands. Correct me if I am wrong , the 2.4 have a cam chain, the 3.0 have a cam belt and the 3.5 have a cam chain, so far so good. The concern that I had was the windscreen in the event of a crack in the drivers view but I believe that Auto glass can source them after a bit of a wait. Where we live there is mostly motorways and dual carriageways so I reckon that a 2.4 may struggle, the 3.5 might be a better choice being that it will not have to work as hard as the 2.4 and there is no cam belt to worry about. Is an Alphard under 2 metres tall so it will fit under the barrier doing tip runs ? Would a 3.5 make a Daily Driver ?? We were going to look at some but its far too hot for looking at motors LOL

Thoughts ?? Suggestions ??

MPG stats of 2.4 and 3.5 differ by about 10 percent?..it's not worth the saving. Also lookup  2.4l engine review, it is one of the bad apple and 3.5l are among the best. (Bad in relative in Toyota terms). 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use my 3.5 as a daily driver. I get better economy than my old 2.0 litre Lexus used to give! It fits under height barriers and in normal car parking spaces, but it's got a terrible turning circle. Engine and gearbox are sublime and it's very comfortable. It's a very relaxing vehicle to be in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, drahpla said:

I use my 3.5 as a daily driver. I get better economy than my old 2.0 litre Lexus used to give! It fits under height barriers and in normal car parking spaces, but it's got a terrible turning circle. Engine and gearbox are sublime and it's very comfortable. It's a very relaxing vehicle to be in.

 

Turning circle on my Gen 1 is about 5.5 metres, pretty good for a 5 metre long vehicle, imho.

I realise delivery vans probably have a tighter circle, but mine does not drive like a delivery van !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too use my Gen 2 as a daily driver. The turning circle can be a bit of a pain but it’s tolerable. I had a 3 litre Gen 1 prior to the Gen 2 and am getting better mileage, over 30 on a run and low 20’s in town. I put this down to the 6th gear. Drove right across France and down to south east Spain and the journey in the Alphard was comfy and smooth.

How hot is it where you are? Too hot to look at motors? I’m in Spain, it’s 33 degrees here and only 11am! Forecast is 36! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Phil59 said:

I too use my Gen 2 as a daily driver. The turning circle can be a bit of a pain but it’s tolerable. I had a 3 litre Gen 1 prior to the Gen 2 and am getting better mileage, over 30 on a run and low 20’s in town. I put this down to the 6th gear. Drove right across France and down to south east Spain and the journey in the Alphard was comfy and smooth.

How hot is it where you are? Too hot to look at motors? I’m in Spain, it’s 33 degrees here and only 11am! Forecast is 36! 

 

Its too hot LOL, We have a sea breeze here which makes it better but inland is the where motors are and there is no breeze there I DON'T DO HUMID LOL

Edited by Bazzer1955
Adding info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 6:42 PM, Teekay said:

MPG stats of 2.4 and 3.5 differ by about 10 percent?..it's not worth the saving. Also lookup  2.4l engine review, it is one of the bad apple and 3.5l are among the best. (Bad in relative in Toyota terms). 

I have looked up 2.4 Toyota engines, really shocked at the results especially it seems the pre 2008 engines

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bazzer1955 said:

I have looked up 2.4 Toyota engines, really shocked at the results especially it seems the pre 2008 engines

Exactly. I was shocked too
These things should be in a pinned up In joiners, buyers guide, faq etc. So much can be done to organise this information and people don't need to reinvent the wheel.

 

By the way 2gr-fe v6 3.5l before 2010 also had some minor issues that are fixed by recalls 

 

Gearbox 6 speed U660E also had a weak spot that was fixed in later years but I hope that is nothing serious 

 

2.4L is big no 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have also seen a 3.0 vvti Alphard absolutely stunning condition in pearl white with only 29,000 miles. What are peoples thoughts on the engine ? I know that there is a timing belt to worry about but there seem to be mixed opinions about the vvti system. I have only seen the vehicle on a website not in the flesh. I don't know if I am allowed to post links but I am sure someone will put me right.

 

https://www.countycarsstrood.co.uk/used/cars/toyota-alphard-30-vvti-10254/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bazzer1955 said:

I have also seen a 3.0 vvti Alphard absolutely stunning condition in pearl white with only 29,000 miles. What are peoples thoughts on the engine ? I know that there is a timing belt to worry about but there seem to be mixed opinions about the vvti system. I have only seen the vehicle on a website not in the flesh. I don't know if I am allowed to post links but I am sure someone will put me right.

 

https://www.countycarsstrood.co.uk/used/cars/toyota-alphard-30-vvti-10254/

 

 

I don't think you should worry too much about the timing belt.

You can always have it replaced, but a 29k vehicle should not need one.

They can last forever.

My local Toyota dealer suggested change at 100k miles.

If the belt snaps you will be stranded, but it is a non interference engine; meaning the valves will not hit the pistons.

 

I suggest you check whether it has a four speed or five speed gearbox. With petrol prices as they are.......

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Rojie said:

 

I don't think you should worry too much about the timing belt.

You can always have it replaced, but a 29k vehicle should not need one.

They can last forever.

My local Toyota dealer suggested change at 100k miles.

If the belt snaps you will be stranded, but it is a non interference engine; meaning the valves will not hit the pistons.

 

I suggest you check whether it has a four speed or five speed gearbox. With petrol prices as they are.......

 

All this is very helpful info, Thanks for this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bazzer1955 said:

Maybe if I were to wait a bit the petrol pricing may make these cheaper LOL 🤑

Great minds think alike 😎I was thinking the same but sorry to say but seems there are too many factors to this equation - inflation, chip shortage, supply chain, war, shipping space etc. Basically it evens out and numbers of 3.5L Alphard / Vellfire coming up for auction are significantly lesser as compare to 2.4L.

Edited by Teekay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Teekay said:

Great minds think alike 😎I was thinking the same but sorry to say but seems there are too many factors to this equation - inflation, chip shortage, supply chain, war, shipping space etc. Basically it evens out and numbers of 3.5L Alphard / Vellfire coming up for auction are significantly lesser as compare to 2.4L.

I know that lol   Certain auction site has shed loads of 2.4's on it for quite silly money but the 3.5's that I have seen are higher mileage than I would have liked for the money, I'm just playing the waiting game now 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 2.4 in the Alphards are jap made engines you will find that the oil burning problem was American made engines only. The 2.4 won't be any less reliable then the 3 and 3.5 Alphards 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Liam said:

The 2.4 in the Alphards are jap made engines you will find that the oil burning problem was American made engines only. The 2.4 won't be any less reliable then the 3 and 3.5 Alphards 

I didn't think it was about the American made issue, but more about some design flaw and it was fixed in much later years. But I am not sure when exactly and what is factual position. But personally my 2p thinks the bottom line is..280 hp vs 178, with only minimal difference in mpg, thanks I'll take the 3.5L. Oil change might be little bit more expensive and spark plug change are difficult but extra power for such big 7/8 seater van and extra six speed gear box and V6 smooth, why would anyone want to drag around with 2.4L? I know if you are use to it, you may think it is fine as you don't know what you are missing on. No offence to anyone but these are my thoughts 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe Liam is quite correct regarding the 2AZ FE engine. 2.4 litre

 

Wikipedia is worth reading if owners are concerned.

There has been discussion that E5 is not suitable for the Direct Injection variants.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.