Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

E10 E5 Fuel

39 minutes ago, Bazzer1955 said:

I don't understand why people don't just use E 5, more mpg, a better running vehicle, E 10 does not give as much mpg therefore the cheaper price is irrelevant, and we still get people saying that the E 10 vs E 5  scaremongering.......weird world we live in

Picked up my new to me Alphard last week and called in for petrol on way home, no E5 at Esso garage 🙄

Huge price difference in our area, maybe 50/50 blend is the answer when filling up to max?

On 4/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, Bazzer1955 said:

I don't understand why people don't just use E 5, more mpg, a better running vehicle, E 10 does not give as much mpg therefore the cheaper price is irrelevant, and we still get people saying that the E 10 vs E 5  scaremongering.......weird world we live in

Running temperature and preignition and compression. 

You should change the sparkplugs to match the new temperature range. 

The e5 e10 due not matter, but in the UK e5 is usually greater then 95ron.

If you use this in the engines designed to run on 89 to 95 ron, you need to generate more heat in the spark plug to ignite the fuel, as higher ron is more compressible before ignition. 

This means you have a higher energy drain from the alternator/battery, a hotter engine, and an ecu that is trying to correct fueling trim levels more often. 

E5 95+ron fuel is used in the higher compression engines. 

The argument only applies to the 3 and 3.5 litre, as these are designed to use higher ron fuel. 

2.4 only needs 91ron, which in the UK usually means e10, the fuel economy part comes from the calorific value of e10 vs e5. 

E5 in a 2.4 may provide more mpg, but be aware of the ron value. 

Edited by Chris.ac
  • Thanks 1