Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

How to remove the front overhead console and replace the reading interior bulbs?

Could anyone point me or provide tips to remove the front overhead console?  I pulled the back side (glasses holder) end and it came loose. The windshield side is very tight. Should I be pulling harder down or slide it to one side?  What is holding it? Clips or screw somewhere?

I can’t seem to find any DYI online 🤔

26BD5BD9-F28D-4627-8A83-FE8D6ABEB9EC.jpeg

Hi mikli,

That is the correct part to pull off but you may require a small pick ,once removed you might find it's not bulbs as you are expecting as mine are led strips but that  could just be on different models, if you do require to remove the whole console the hidden screws are under the light strips and I think there is one in the glasses department.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gerrymclean said:

I think Chris is right. Halford do a set of plastic trim removal tools which I have found in invaluable!

I doubt there is a Halfords in Vancouver !

Plastic pry tools is the item to look for in your local store.

• Like 1

Ok. So work on removing the cover from these point.  Not easy but got it with two tools together to pop it out. See the tabs in my photo. 
and yes. There are two screw next to the bulbs. 

83D5B310-C3C8-41E4-82A0-241FF23D43BB.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi mikli, 

The mood lighting in the pillars are led units not bulbs and unlikely to be blown, to remove the piller you first remove the bottom trim because the piller has to be pulled towards you then pulled down or you will snap the plastic clips.

The room lights in the headliner can easily be removed and these do have bulbs, are you sure it's not just a blown fuse as all these lights are on the same fuse.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 10:19 AM, Monksey said:

Hi mikli, 

The mood lighting in the pillars are led units not bulbs and unlikely to be blown, to remove the piller you first remove the bottom trim because the piller has to be pulled towards you then pulled down or you will snap the plastic clips.

The room lights in the headliner can easily be removed and these do have bulbs, are you sure it's not just a blown fuse as all these lights are on the same fuse.

Hi Robert,

I have a similar model to yours.

I think your 'bulbs' have already been replaced if they are LEDs.

I needed to replace one of mine, and is was definitely not a LED.

I know that LED replacements are available, and probably brighter and more reliable.

So you would probably need to replace all of them to achieve an even brightness !