Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Spare Wheel Storage

Hi, I have a 2004 3.0 Alphard with a gas conversion. 

I am about to fit a rear kitchen conversion. 

Has anyone any ideas on the best place to store the spare wheel. I have a towbar fitted, does anyone know of any carrier which can attach to this? 

Any ideas & suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Dick Powell said:

Has anyone any ideas on the best place to store the spare wheel. I have a towbar fitted, does anyone know of any carrier which can attach to this? 

two minutes to find this:

https://www.bak-rak.com/spare-wheel-rak.htm    

Bit of old advice make sure your 'Browser' enquiry is descriptive and you should find what you need🙂

On 10/4/2022 at 3:30 PM, Dick Powell said:

I’ve got a gas conversion too. But just carry a can of Holts Tyrerepair instead of a spare wheel. 

• Like 2

Hi,

I think after an lpg conversion most people go with the can repair options, i have never had a problem with them and I have used them a few times.

After your camper conversion you will probably need as much storage space as possible and a spare wheel Evan a space saver takes a lot of room up.

Just a thought. Possibly on the front or rear of your van?

I have seen American campers with a cover over the wheel and bolted onto a frame on the Rad grill frame or the bonnet, or on the back door. Would have to fit stronger struts or electric option though?

I think rad grill seems the best option though.

2 hours ago, John Harrison said:

Just a thought. Possibly on the front or rear of your van?

I have seen American campers with a cover over the wheel and bolted onto a frame on the Rad grill frame or the bonnet, or on the back door. Would have to fit stronger struts or electric option though?

I think rad grill seems the best option though.

I have an electric tailgate.

I am far from sure it would lift correctly with the added weight.

It might, but I would assume it won't.

Imho the electric tailgate is more a convenience (and it is) but does not use a high torque motor, just a lower torque motor to provide the assist.

I would not fit a spare wheel to the front of your vehicle.

It will effect your radiator cooling and may effect your crash crumple zone performance.

Many members use the cans of foam to re inflate tyres, at least to get you somewhere where you can deal with the flat tyre more permanently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Harrison said:

The only trouble with the foam option is that once used, the tyre cannot be used again; so I have been told.

John H

Hello John,

I am not knowledgeable about the use of foam.

However, my main concern would be getting to a place of safety.

Tyres are not that expensive, and not all punctures can be repaired by the rubber plug method.

I would be concerned about the cost of damaging my alloy wheel, rather than the cost of a tyre.

That said, tyres are best renewed in pairs.

More research required, I think !

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like 1

Hi Dick,

We also have LPG and use 2 options for the spare. When not pushed for space (e.g. shorter trips) the spare goes under the R&R bed; but we have a side conversion, so it's out of the way generally - which I guess wouldn't be so easy with a rear conversion. Alternatively we can put the spare on the (towbar-mounted) bike rack - 2 bikes & spare wheel on a 3-bike rack. We had to fabricate a steel clamp which has a bar on one side (to mimic a bike bar) and wheel bolts on t'other side (to mimic a hub). The spare then takes its place as the third bike; also rachet-strapped to eye-bolts (in place of the bike wheel wedges) as an extra precaution (not shown in photo...). Good for long trips - the only downside is that the spare has to be last on the rack, so not so easy to get the bikes on/off quickly.

Incidentally, I'd recommend the Atera Strada Evo or DL bike racks - they have a roller pull-out system so, when unlatched, the rack can be pulled away from the rear with the bikes still on to allow enough room to lift the tailgate. T'was a great find!

20190903_100300.jpg

• Like 1