Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Juddering on acceleration 3.0

Hi Folks .

Had an engine  management  light on for a while, didn't affect the running of the vehicle 2055 ..

Had it hooked up to a diagnostic and it came up with bank 1 oxygen  sensor.

Had both of them replaced recently and a full service,new pads and mot, just got the car back ,seemed to be driving OK, until I overtook a car ,gave it some acceleration and got a bad judder/jumping and lack of  power ,pretty dangerous when you've  gone for an overtake.

Anybody have any ideas please.

Any comments will be appreciated. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Alphy51 said:

Hi Folks .

Had an engine  management  light on for a while, didn't affect the running of the vehicle 2055 ..

Had both of them replaced recently and a full service,new pads and mot, just got the car back ,seemed to be driving OK, until I overtook a car ,gave it some acceleration and got a bad judder/jumping and lack of  power ,pretty dangerous when you've  gone for an overtake.

Thanks.

Hello Paul,

Welcome to the Forum.

19 hours ago, Alphy51 said:

Hi Folks .

Thanks.

I would of said thats sounds fuel related. But I will assume it did not bring on the EML?

Are you sure the right sensors were fitted? Also as EM Light is not on then its bypassing, mechanical or wrong sensor. since the oxygen sensor output help control engine timing, combustion intervals and air to fuel ration, a faulty sensor can cause the vehicle to run rough.

I guess worth checking if the coil packs and plugs are working well. I had some juddering, albeit at a particular speed, that was coming from the gearbox. Oil change solve the problem. But coil packs and plugs are next on my to do lis.

1 hour ago, AndyF said:

What fault code were you posting?

I can't remember  what code it was ,only remember  bank 1.

Another thing that has happened  is the car has stalled a few times when I have started the engine ,its never done this before

1 hour ago, ALSALPHARD said:

This is a just a bit of a wild guess :- broken engine mounts worth a check.

also avoid E10 fuel

Have been using E10 ever since it came out ,never had a problem ,prior to changing the 2 oxygen  sensors,

I did ask him to use Toyota  parts.

Not good.

The O2 sensors are a common fault, I have been told.

Allways record your numbers before you reset. Quite often you can go online and get great answers to the problem. These answers are often only indirectly linked to the fault you see. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I had some similar issues together with very high idle on cold start, after much investigation...changing sensors etc, I changed spark plugs from the fitted NGK to the original Denso ones.. All issues sorted!😀

The rear bank of 3 are a pain to get at though!  On removal the rear three NGKs were older than the front three, so it had had a 1/2 change of plugs in the past😂 may be worth a try!

My 2007 is super smooth now.

• Thanks 1

Interesting that you hooked up to Alphard diagnostic system as I was not aware that anyone in the U.K. has a diagnostic system and this according to Toyota…

So verify as some companies use Previa diagnostics …

No diagnostic system invoved.. just old fashioned trial & error..replacing possible culprits ond at a time..should have started with the plugs though! I am no mechanical genius...just reporting my solution...if it helps someone else then great..! But Andy's Alphard may have a different issue.

I found the Lexus V 6 forums were a good source of info especially ref the high idle.

Buy a JOBD tester and it should tell you which cylinder(s) has a misfire. I don't know if the V6 has stick coils or not but consider replacing the coil and plug on the identified cylinder.

The ANCEL JP700 tester works on my 2003 2.4L.

• Thanks 1