Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Radio and Head unit 2012 hybrid

Help please!
1/Can English language be displayed instead of Japanese ? If so how is it done ? 

2/ Does the Nav work in Britain?

3/ My rear camera is currently not displaying on screen when car in reverse. I have read somewhere that the camera should show on the screen,even if nothing else can be achieved, such as the radio and Nav ect ? 

4/ Are there any audio garages familiar with these sorts of problems associated with Japanese imported cars? I live in the North of England

Any help much appreciated 

I have a very similar radio to yours (NHZN-X62G). Not sure what the difference is, but based on that…

1) No. Use Google Translate on your phone to work out what’s going on.

2) No, it will think you’re in open water. You won’t find map updates for these HDD models online.

3) It will work once you unlock the radio. Check out the thread I linked to in the other thread. You need to reset the unlock code by generating another unlock code, either by using a generator app or by sending £15 to a guy in Malaysia who will (genuinely!) generate a reset code for you.

4) The normal recommendation is a guy called Ben Hau in Birmingham. He can add a CarPlay/Android Auto option to your radio. Or you can replace it with a whole new unit. Both will cost £300-400.

Despite being in Japanese, not having GPS and not receiving any Station other than R2, it’s actually a great radio.

9 hours ago, arthurj said:

I have a very similar radio to yours (NHZN-X62G). Not sure what the difference is, but based on that…

2) No, it will think you’re in open water. You won’t find map updates for these HDD models online.

3) It will work once you unlock the radio. Check out the thread I linked to in the other thread. You need to reset the unlock code by generating another unlock code, either by using a generator app or by sending £15 to a guy in Malaysia who will (genuinely!) generate a reset code for you.

4) The normal recommendation is a guy called Ben Hau in Birmingham. He can add a CarPlay/Android Auto option to your radio. Or you can replace it with a whole new unit. Both will cost £300-400.

Despite being in Japanese, not having GPS and not receiving any Station other than R2, it’s actually a great radio.

Just to add to point 2.

The Nav unit uses GPS.

The Japanese satellites the system uses cannot be 'seen' from the UK.

I did try a genuine Toyota DVD disc system; but it didn't work.

Regarding point 4; Ben can be very difficult to contact.

He prefers ebay, I cannot remember his moniker.

Search for ben hau on this forum and you should find it.

beanbean280r at a guess.

Good Luck

17 hours ago, arthurj said:

Thanks again for the advice. It’s helped to know that once the screen is unlocked the camera probably works. 
Are you sure there isn’t an option somewhere on the unit menu settings to select English language?

I will try to progress with the link and code you gave me 

Do you have the contact details for the guy in Malaysia ? Couldn’t help laughing as I wrote this. I feel like it’s chasing the enigma code 😃

Yeah it can feel a lot like that sometimes :D

No, there's no option to switch to English on mine. As i understand it, the option to switch languages was only for export cars (Malaysia/Russia), not JDM cars. Looking at youtube videos for other JDM Toyotas, I think that around 2014 they got language options, but mine's 2012.

This is how you get to the ERC code menu. Hold the map button while flashing the car lights a few times.

When you get to the right option it will show you a code (which sometimes changes, I'm not sure how often) and a keypad underneath. You need THAT code to generate a correct ERC code.

So to generate the code either you can try this app that that threepot posted here...

...or contact Shareef at http://www.navigationdiskjp.com. His WhatsApp details are on the site. He'll ask for the radio model and that code that was displayed on the ERC page of the radio. He sent me a paypal invoice for £15 and he sent me the code a couple of minutes after I paid it (I didn't know about the app at the time). I entered the code on the ERC page and the radio was unlocked.

After unlocking, the radio resets and goes through a setup stage. I really recommend getting Google Translate on your phone so you can see what's going on. If you don't complete setup properly it will prompt you again the next time you start the car. Make sure you set your password to something you remember or you'll have to do it all over again.

2 hours ago, Wadez said:

Thanks again for the advice. It’s helped to know that once the screen is unlocked the camera probably works. 
Are you sure there isn’t an option somewhere on the unit menu settings to select English language?

I will try to progress with the link and code you gave me 

Do you have the contact details for the guy in Malaysia ? Couldn’t help laughing as I wrote this. I feel like it’s chasing the enigma code 😃

Chris.ac is well informed on the Series 2 and electrics.

Hopefully he will read your post and offer some help on the 'English option', if he can.

I have been there and tried everything. Nothing but dead ends so I bought a 12.1 inch Tesla style head unit from Ali Express with 128gb of ram. It replaces both the standard unit along with the A/C controls. It's not as complicated to install as you might expect. I did it myself and when I ran into problems, the factory engineer helped me via WhatsApp and it works great. It has a proper GPS antenna and a sim card slot so you can essentially use it as you would a Tablet and it has 2 WiFi antennas so your passengers can connect to it too. Cost about $900 AUD inc postage. 

20220618_120818.jpg

Hi

i have the same model as you imported from Japan did the head unit retain all the cameras and steering controls  as I’ve heard  that this can happen I’ve enquired on Ali express about a head unit but none I was told from one supplier was suitable but I see you’ve replaced air con controls as well did it come with all connectors and adapters mine is the GL model with premium sound would be interested in the Ali express link .

I’m in Perth Wa.

also looking at these trims even though there for the series 30 as well as I’m sure thy will fit 20 series from Ali express $106 delivered just breaks all the white door panels up a bit.

DEA5062D-B751-42F0-9ADB-60A9A117595E.jpeg

46F4F44A-8E71-4385-9D4F-7484161ADAEE.jpeg

6801224C-C730-44B8-BC07-7F20A37A4133.png

5448B538-119D-4709-A371-D107F5640690.png

1 hour ago, Damo_Oz said:

I have been there and tried everything. Nothing but dead ends so I bought a 12.1 inch Tesla style head unit from Ali Express with 128gb of ram. It replaces both the standard unit along with the A/C controls. It's not as complicated to install as you might expect. I did it myself and when I ran into problems, the factory engineer helped me via WhatsApp and it works great. It has a proper GPS antenna and a sim card slot so you can essentially use it as you would a Tablet and it has 2 WiFi antennas so your passengers can connect to it too. Cost about $900 AUD inc postage. 

20220618_120818.jpg

That looks a great system. 
What model is your Alphard? Mine is 2012 Hybrid. I think the head unit set up is different to yours. Maybe I can get away with just swapping the top half as there looks to be a split between heating and radio/ Nav ? 

8193ABDC-8096-480F-9C5A-71D26EF41E06.png

D2484727-575B-4D45-9444-6B5F9F5E6DF7.png

4 hours ago, Rojie said:

Chris.ac is well informed on the Series 2 and electrics.

Hopefully he will read your post and offer some help on the 'English option', if he can.

Great, hopefully he can help, thanks 

5 hours ago, arthurj said:

Yeah it can feel a lot like that sometimes :D

No, there's no option to switch to English on mine. As i understand it, the option to switch languages was only for export cars (Malaysia/Russia), not JDM cars. Looking at youtube videos for other JDM Toyotas, I think that around 2014 they got language options, but mine's 2012.

This is how you get to the ERC code menu. Hold the map button while flashing the car lights a few times.

When you get to the right option it will show you a code (which sometimes changes, I'm not sure how often) and a keypad underneath. You need THAT code to generate a correct ERC code.

So to generate the code either you can try this app that that threepot posted here...

...or contact Shareef at http://www.navigationdiskjp.com. His WhatsApp details are on the site. He'll ask for the radio model and that code that was displayed on the ERC page of the radio. He sent me a paypal invoice for £15 and he sent me the code a couple of minutes after I paid it (I didn't know about the app at the time). I entered the code on the ERC page and the radio was unlocked.

After unlocking, the radio resets and goes through a setup stage. I really recommend getting Google Translate on your phone so you can see what's going on. If you don't complete setup properly it will prompt you again the next time you start the car. Make sure you set your password to something you remember or you'll have to do it all over again.

Thanks again. I’ll give it a go and try and piece it together. 

53 minutes ago, Wadez said:

That looks a great system. 
What model is your Alphard? Mine is 2012 Hybrid. I think the head unit set up is different to yours. Maybe I can get away with just swapping the top half as there looks to be a split between heating and radio/ Nav ? 

8193ABDC-8096-480F-9C5A-71D26EF41E06.png

D2484727-575B-4D45-9444-6B5F9F5E6DF7.png

Mine is a 2009 20 series. I think they're the same.

The biggest thing that is stopping me from getting a replacement radio is that I have a roof monitor, and I haven't found a replacement that allows me to show GPS navigation in the front and play a movie in the back at the same time while driving. It's always mirroring exactly what's on the screen in front. The "Ben Hau" carplay retrofit doesn't allow that either, as far as I can tell.

The OEM unit does do that. Although the inbuilt navgation doesn't work, I do have a different display on in the front and can also control volume and stop the movie if I need to. The kids love having a cinema in the back on a long trip.

Edited by arthurj

7 hours ago, arthurj said:

The biggest thing that is stopping me from getting a replacement radio is that I have a roof monitor, and I haven't found a replacement that allows me to show GPS navigation in the front and play a movie in the back at the same time while driving. It's always mirroring exactly what's on the screen in front. The "Ben Hau" carplay retrofit doesn't allow that either, as far as I can tell.

The OEM unit does do that. Although the inbuilt navgation doesn't work, I do have a different display on in the front and can also control volume and stop the movie if I need to. The kids love having a cinema in the back on a long trip.

It sounds like it’s either one way or the other🧐. I can see why you would want the kids watching the DVD whilst your driving following the Sat Nav screen in the front. I’ll be a bit happier when I get the reverse camera and the only radio station, Radio 2😄

Then I’ll be back on to you to find out where the DVD slot is 😄

• 6 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 10:50 PM, Damo_Oz said:

20220618_120818.jpg

Hi Damo, I bought a 2014 hybrid with this head unit already installed. However the temperature digits wont change on screen (temperature increases) and the roof monitor does not work. Your roof monitor working? 

On 11/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, arthurj said:

One of the biggest draws for us also - and with the electric captains chairs we have, it’s a pretty decent experience indeed! I’ve also replaced the 100V sockets on the back of the centre console with USB A and C chargers for them, and installed a Fire TV stick through HDMI to CVBS converter on the VTR input so they can use YouTube, Disney, Netflix etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of getting an alphard 2006 and the head unit is in Japanese can I change to English in the menu or is it a new unit?

6 hours ago, SYL said:

I am in the process of getting an alphard 2006 and the head unit is in Japanese can I change to English in the menu or is it a new unit?

Hello Sylvia,

Welcome to the Forum.

No, you won't be able to change the language.

Eightseater.blog.com is very helpful if you have that particular HDD unit.

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

Hello Sylvia,

Welcome to the Forum.

No, you won't be able to change the language.

Eightseatar.blog.com is very helpful if you have that particular HDD unit.

How do I contact Eightseater please?

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2022 at 6:26 AM, arthurj said:

How do you play movies in the back?

On 5/18/2023 at 12:54 AM, anotherdom said:

One of the biggest draws for us also - and with the electric captains chairs we have, it’s a pretty decent experience indeed! I’ve also replaced the 100V sockets on the back of the centre console with USB A and C chargers for them, and installed a Fire TV stick through HDMI to CVBS converter on the VTR input so they can use YouTube, Disney, Netflix etc.

Did you do this yourself? How?

49 minutes ago, Mate2779 said:

How do you play movies in the back?

Hi,

My roof monitor was apparently removed when the pop top was put in and I don't have it, but I have found something under the passenger seat connected up, I have not removed it because not sure what it is. What size is the monitor cos this thing appears to be about 8 or 9 inches.  I don't want to just pull it out in case it belongs to the hard drive

Thanks 👍