Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Radio and Head unit 2012 hybrid

1 hour ago, Mate2779 said:

How do you play movies in the back?

DVD playback through my rooftop monitor. I tend to send the sound to the back speakers and press the navigation button so I don’t see it on the front screen (which is the essential feature I can’t seem to find in any replacement system).

The other day I drove 5 kids to a party, 45 minutes each way. DVD on and didn’t hear a peep! :)

I think dvds are supposed to stop playing while the car is in motion but you can modify the input wires so it won’t do that. I didn’t do it, I assume the previous owner in Japan had it done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mate2779 said:

Did you do this yourself? How?

I did. There was a thread on here about adding the USBs to the rear console - I uploaded photos to this to show the wiring of the sockets (available on eBay, Amazon etc) and of bypassing the inverter. The rest is plug and play, using the factory-fit CVBS sockets.

3 hours ago, arthurj said:

DVD playback through my rooftop monitor. I tend to send the sound to the back speakers and press the navigation button so I don’t see it on the front screen (which is the essential feature I can’t seem to find in any replacement system).

The other day I drove 5 kids to a party, 45 minutes each way. DVD on and didn’t hear a peep! :)

I think dvds are supposed to stop playing while the car is in motion but you can modify the input wires so it won’t do that. I didn’t do it, I assume the previous owner in Japan had it done.

Are you talking about the stock Toyota Unit ? Or am I missing something ?

6 hours ago, arthurj said:

Dvds will continue on rear screen, even without modification. 

I agree with you, the standard unit is excellent. I use mostly streamed radio via Bluetooth, as I have unlimited data. 

I've thought many times of replacing headunit, but there are far easier ways to add satnav, such as a replacement digital mirror that has either android with DVR, or android auto and carplay functionality. 

You can even use as adaptor that connects to the rain sensor to provide power, so you don't need to route wires and mess about with fuses

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R4v3n said:

Are you talking about the stock Toyota Unit ? Or am I missing something ?

Yep, standard headunit on 18 speaker system allows you to create two sound zones, for front and rear with independent volume control. 

I can stream radio to front 8 speakers, and dvd to rear 10. 

If a phonecall comes in it will further split the front, and continue to Complain on japanese when I upset it

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

Yep, standard headunit on 18 speaker system allows you to create two sound zones, for front and rear with independent volume control. 

I can stream radio to front 8 speakers, and dvd to rear 10. 

If a phonecall comes in it will further split the front, and continue to Complain on japanese when I upset it

Well I asked about because of this sentence

because in Japan every car (at least a LOT of them) got a TV inside and it's totally allowed to let the TV run when you drive.
So it's normal you can play the DVD on front & rear screens when you drive, it's not a modification. But you CAN'T change the bluetooth  source (from one phone to the other one registered) when you drive, you have to do a complete stop for this, that's funny.

Ah, maybe there’s no mod then. I read that it was the case but the front screen certainly doesn’t switch away from DVD output unless I press the navigation button. What it won’t let me do when I’m driving (above 5mph or so I think) is adjust the audio EQ settings.

12 hours ago, arthurj said:

Ah, maybe there’s no mod then. I read that it was the case but the front screen certainly doesn’t switch away from DVD output unless I press the navigation button. What it won’t let me do when I’m driving (above 5mph or so I think) is adjust the audio EQ settings.

You can simply turn off the screen, instead of keeping the navigation.

Tap 2 times on the navigation "hard" button, then on the top right button, it will turn off your screen.

On 7/5/2023 at 8:38 PM, R4v3n said:

Well I asked about because of this sentence

because in Japan every car (at least a LOT of them) got a TV inside and it's totally allowed to let the TV run when you drive.
So it's normal you can play the DVD on front & rear screens when you drive, it's not a modification. But you CAN'T change the bluetooth  source (from one phone to the other one registered) when you drive, you have to do a complete stop for this, that's funny.

2 wires on rear of head unit, I've got speed sense and one for parking brake, I have mine grounded (I think, rather than 12v) this allows me to modify BT whilst in motion, so wife/kids can connect when they want to dj. 

28 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

2 wires on rear of head unit, I've got speed sense and one for parking brake, I have mine grounded (I think, rather than 12v) this allows me to modify BT whilst in motion, so wife/kids can connect when they want to dj. 

You should do a small howto for this !

13 hours ago, R4v3n said:

I think I did, somewhere is a post with a photo of the wires. 

I may revisit at some point, as I only used junction connectors instead of soldering, as my soldering iron was broken at the time

14 hours ago, R4v3n said:

Was in this thread, these two wires connected to ground fools the headunit into thinking you are parked, so full access to BT config, and aux/dvd video playback on front screen. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, arthurj said:

The biggest thing that is stopping me from getting a replacement radio is that I have a roof monitor, and I haven't found a replacement that allows me to show GPS navigation in the front and play a movie in the back at the same time while driving. It's always mirroring exactly what's on the screen in front. The "Ben Hau" carplay retrofit doesn't allow that either, as far as I can tell.

The OEM unit does do that. Although the inbuilt navgation doesn't work, I do have a different display on in the front and can also control volume and stop the movie if I need to. The kids love having a cinema in the back on a long trip.

Hi. I’m in exactly the same position I love the split rear entertainment and us have the phone sat nav on in the front. I just need to work out the best way to get an apple car play on front screen without losing the split audio really. Vtr won’t use the touch screen that’s the only thing Will it. 

• 3 months later...

I have the factory Alpine head unit (ina-w900E) with Alpine rear screen. I have no trouble connecting the phone via Bluetooth and handsfree calling works. But in Audio Sources there is no option for BT Audio. Bluetooth settings don't get me anywhere. Is it possible that this unit just doesn't support BT Audio? That would be super disappointing! I have been searching online a lot and no clear answers. 

5 hours ago, Bladez said:

I have the factory Alpine head unit (ina-w900E) with Alpine rear screen. I have no trouble connecting the phone via Bluetooth and handsfree calling works. But in Audio Sources there is no option for BT Audio. Bluetooth settings don't get me anywhere. Is it possible that this unit just doesn't support BT Audio? That would be super disappointing! I have been searching online a lot and no clear answers. 

Hello Blake,

Welcome to the Forum.