Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard ANH10 2AZ-FE 2007 Drawing almost 0.5A when parked up. What have I done??

Hi, everyone,

So up to January, everything has been fine. I've regularly left her parked up for weeks at a time.  Now, the battery is going flat in a few days...

So, I though - time to replace the battery. It's 80AH, or at least was. But when I took it up to the spare bedroom (no garage, alas) and recharged it - it didn't behave like a dead battery. It took agessssssssss to fully charge. 

Put it, fully charged, back and measured the output current (put a multimeter on the 10A dc range in series with the terminal - carefully NOT trying to start it).  All parked up, doors locked, etc - just the bonnet open.  After the initial surge - the current out seems to stabilise at about 0.47A.  I couldn't spend long doing that as it is very cold and wet out there ... 

Clearly this is "something new" - even an 80AH couldn't handle that load for weeks. 

The battery's back in the bedroom - once it's charged I'll do a 20 hour discharge cycle and see how many AHr it gives.. Just in case.

TLTR>>> Is there ANYTHING that I could have left switched on, that would stay powered up even with the key out? Drawing about 0.5A?  I don't know - the backseat overhead player?  Some setting of the media console? 

Otherwise, I will be pulling all the fuses out one by one, bridging the gap with the multimeter and seeing if any current flows.. But it is soooo cold out there.. And wet. And I can hear the wolves.... 

Hi,

Just a warning pulling fuses one at a time will be hugely time consuming and difficult,the fuses in the fuse location in the left hand foot well under the dash is the most difficult I've ever encountered in many years of vehicle ownership. You will certainly need the owners/drivers hand book as there are several fuse locations[3].

Just a thought,does your vehicle have any of the original Japanese card readers for payment of Tolls in Japan? They/it could be wired independently from the ignition.

It's only a thought.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, starider said:

Hi,

Just a warning pulling fuses one at a time will be hugely time consuming and difficult,the fuses in the fuse location in the left hand foot well under the dash is the most difficult I've ever encountered in many years of vehicle ownership. You will certainly need the owners/drivers hand book as there are several fuse locations[3].

Just a thought,does your vehicle have any of the original Japanese card readers for payment of Tolls in Japan? They/it could be wired independently from the ignition.

It's only a thought.

Good luck.

Good Morning, Tony,

Thank you for that - I haven't been near a car fusebox for decades (old mini... say no more).. 

Yes, it does still have that original part.  Electronic faults that just increase consumption a little and not a lot are pretty rare...   Does the original media centre have a permanent supply also? I'd hoped that it might and it might just be me leaving it in a particular mode. 

I might take the time to make a non-contact current sensor - so I can sense whether a fuse has current flow without actually pulling it.  Happy days.

I wasn't aware that there is information on the fuse locations in the handbook. I couldn't find the battery information there... Looks like I need to invest in an English copy and not just scan the Japanese with "Lens".

3 hours ago, devonia said:

Good Morning, Tony,

Thank you for that - I haven't been near a car fusebox for decades (old mini... say no more).. 

Yes, it does still have that original part.  Electronic faults that just increase consumption a little and not a lot are pretty rare...   Does the original media centre have a permanent supply also? I'd hoped that it might and it might just be me leaving it in a particular mode. 

I might take the time to make a non-contact current sensor - so I can sense whether a fuse has current flow without actually pulling it.  Happy days.

I wasn't aware that there is information on the fuse locations in the handbook. I couldn't find the battery information there... Looks like I need to invest in an English copy and not just scan the Japanese with "Lens".

Buy the JPNZ Owners Manual (in English too) from ebay.

Every owner should have it.

Good detail on fuses and locations.

Plenty of other really useful information.

I doubt is the Toll reader. 

Most of us have those (almost, if not, standard equipment) and most of us don't have the current drain problem.

6 hours ago, devonia said:

Good Morning, Tony,

The head unit has a permanent 12v supply to keep the memory settings, the toll card reader is only live when the ignition is on, if a battery voltage goes below 11v the cells will get damaged and it will discharge quickly, a smart charger on Repair Mode might recover it if your lucky

Hi again,ref fuses. There are several sizes of fuse and some are micro fuses which are extremely small and some are found in the Left footwell/behind dashboard fuse box and are very fiddly to remove and fit.As Rojie has said the JPNZ handbook is well worth purchasing. The handbook is very comprehensive and is a must have.

Personally I would suspect the battery,the battery on one of my tractors began playing up recently and after a charge would,if left a few days would be very low on output. There was nothing to cause a discharge as it is fitted with a battery isolator.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, Rojie said:

Buy the JPNZ Owners Manual (in English too) from ebay.

Every owner should have it.

Good detail on fuses and locations.

Plenty of other really useful information.

I doubt is the Toll reader. 

Most of us have those (almost, if not, standard equipment) and most of us don't have the current drain problem.

I agree to Rojie that it's not a bad Manual/guide, but a shame the Manufacturer uses cheap bonding Adhesive to hold the pages in the correct sequence as four pages have dropped out of mine what makes it worse these pages have come out from different parts of the Manual indicating that the manual is poorly manufactured (Oldmanmoaning)

On 1/29/2023 at 1:54 PM, ThuMentaliss said:

I agree to Rojie that it's not a bad Manual/guide, but a shame the Manufacturer uses cheap bonding Adhesive to hold the pages in the correct sequence as four pages have dropped out of mine what makes it worse these pages have come out from different parts of the Manual indicating that the manual is poorly manufactured (Oldmanmoaning)

they should have used a ring binder, so it sits flat, and lets you laminate the pages.