Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Yellow headlights

I’ve been looking at some vans recently and very nearly bought one, but noticed that the headlights were extremely dull and yellow. 
Is this a serious problem and can it be easily rectified?

I had a similar problem, mine had been fitted with blue tinged lamps, on dark wet winter nights they were awful, I replaced them with Osram lamps with 5500k colour (which I believe is the original colour spec) this solved the problem. Lamps cost around £60 for the pair. 

edit: sorry I misunderstood the original question, 🙄

You can buy cleaning kits to remove the yellow from the headlights, I have heard polishing with toothpaste works but never tried either myself.

Edited by Astra1
Misread original post

Thanks very much for the replies everyone.

Whilst I’m here, I’ve seen a van for sale in another part of the country and the dealer offers delivery. I can’t decide whether taking such an option would be ok, or is buying a car without seeing or test driving it just crazy even during a pandemic?

never buy without seeing it first.  We made the mistake with a Merc vito. never never again.

As for yellow headlights we just used tutrle wax and a drill with a polisihing clotch on the end, 20 mins later they look great then used clear laqer on the headlights.

Thanks very much for the replies everyone.

Whilst I’m here, I’ve seen a van for sale in another part of the country and the dealer offers delivery. I can’t decide whether taking such an option would be ok, or is buying a car without seeing or test driving it just crazy even during a pandemic?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Not regulation, its due to the sun....it has that effect on the plastic, but as others have said, can be buffed out to clear.

Were in the process of buying one which has yellow headlight glass but been assured 100% they will be crystal clear when we pick it up.

HTH

I have one yellow headlight,

I have tried several of the things suggested here, And shop bought potions.

I can not make any improvement in mine 😞

I cant help but wonder if sometimes the yellow is on the inside.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:14 PM, BBP said:

Thanks Monster.

Another question for you, if you don’t mind. Would a vehicle with lowered suspension be suitable for a camper conversion?

Yes of course it would,  I'm doing this right now,  19" wheels with the correct sizing load rated tyres,  decent adjustable suspension, rear camper conversion two weeks time and so on.....