Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hi having just purchased an Alphard with rear conversion I was hoping that fellow members could help with what essential’s they would recommend that I would need. I am a solo camper. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Angel said:

Hi having just purchased an Alphard with rear conversion I was hoping that fellow members could help with what essential’s they would recommend that I would need. I am a solo camper. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Where do you intend to visit ?

How well is your van equipped already ?

Description or photos please.

Hi sorry not to have replied sooner. I will probably be visiting the Cotswolds and the south coast to start probably on a site.I have absolutely nothing so I will be starting from scratch, the Alphie has a rear conversion with sink hob and coolbox. My problem is that after having a twin axle caravan where space wasn’t a problem I now need to rethink what I need and how much I can take with me.

3 hours ago, Angel said:

Hi sorry not to have replied sooner. I will probably be visiting the Cotswolds and the south coast to start probably on a site.I  have absolutely nothing so I will be starting from scratch, the Alphie has a rear conversion with sink hob and coolbox. My problem is that after having a twin axle caravan where space wasn’t a problem I now need to rethink what I need and how much I can take with me.

Hello again Chris,

As a solo Alpharder you should have plenty of room, but, I guess, it depends on the duration how long your trip.

You will soon develop a "place for everything, and everything in its place".

Presumably you have a leisure battery and split charger to power your cool box.

We only 'go way' for short spells and, we find, the biggest challenge is drying wet clothes and a wet dog.

We bought clothing that doesn't get wet, Goretex is shake dry and the moisture does not penetrate the surface.

There are other technologies/brands that achieve the same.

The dog is a different matter. We have a storage box for dry towels, and another for wet towels.

Many campsites do have drying facilities.

Were the middle row of seats removed a s part of your conversion ?

Do you have a hard floor, or carpeted ?

Where there's a will there's a way.

Will you be travelling in winter ?

Hi Roger the centre row is still in place and the floor is carpeted I don’t have a dog but my moggy used to travel with us and I’m hoping to take her with me. I haven’t thought about travelling in winter but it is something I may consider. One other thing is there any kind of cooking implements that maybe you have found useful, and also is it worth considering an awning. Thanks for your help so far.

9 minutes ago, Angel said:

Hi Roger the centre row is still in place and the floor is carpeted I don’t have a dog but my moggy used to travel with us and I’m hoping to take her with me. I haven’t thought about travelling in winter but it is something I may consider. One other thing is there any kind of cooking implements that maybe you have found useful, and also is it worth considering an awning. Thanks for your help so far.

I can't advise on an awning. I don't have one.

Many members do though, and there are lots of threads on here about their experiences.

Will you need to tether the cat; to prevent it running off when you are parked up?

Technical, dogs must be restrained when travelling. I assume cats would need to be also.

Cooking implements. We have a Melamine table set. Simple cruets, cheap kettle for gas hob, cheap cutlery. Three good kitchen knives and a bread knife.

We also have EHU (Electric Hook Up, 240v) for low power appliances.

Cooking in your van is a challenge as you do not want steam or fumes inside.

Salads, tinned fish and meat, make life much easier.

There is an increasing number of pubs offering free overnight stays.

They do expect you to eat there. Some have EHU and showers too, for a very reasonable charges.

I feel sure you will have most of what you need from your caravanning days.

Visit Go Outdoors and have a browse at what is available. You will be surprised.