Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Engine options and opinions

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a 2012+ Toyota Alphard or Vellfire and I'm trying to understand the differences between the 2.4 Hybrid and 3.5-litre engine options.

In my opinion:
Hybrid will give me better fuel consumption but higher maintenance cost.
3.5 more reliable and cheaper maintenance but low mpg.
Considering the price difference and mileage I do it will take around 5 years for the Hybrid to break even.

Also, any idea why there are so many 2.4 available but only a handful of 3.5?

I'm ignoring 2.4 non-hybrid because I heard it's not powerful enough in certain circumstances. I live in rural Wales with hills all around so don't want to discover it lacks the power to go up the hill.

I'm hoping that some of you who have experience with these vehicles could shed some light on the differences between the two engines. What are the pros and cons of each option?

Any insights or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jpiech 

I personally have a 2008 20 series on a 2.4 coupled with a Cvt gearbox and find this has adequate power.

I brought this last year and we drove it fully loaded through Cornwall/Devon and then the lake district for a couple of weeks with no issues at all.

We are planning our Wales trip this summer 😀.

I have had some powerful cars before but I wasn't looking for speed when I brought the Alphard. They are so comfortable to drive and I would recommend any one of them.

I think it depends on what you're used to power wise. The 3.5 will definitely give you better acceleration. On the flip side the hybrid would give you better mileage. However you have to factor in the state of the batteries of an 11 year old hybrid and possible costs associated with it. This may make the 3.5 more viable.

Good luck 👍🏼 

Aftab 

Hi, I was in a similar predicament choosing which one, was set on a 3.5L  chain cam engine but In the end i went for the sensible choice ( fewer garages know about hybrids and repair costs potentially quite high on a 15 year old , yes toyota hybrids are good we have one- Auris ) the 3.5 may only  average low 20 mpg the 2.4l low 30 the  2.4cvt is nice and I have read more reliable the the 3.5 tc gearbox:)

If you dont do too many miles  the 3.5L would be very nice (though ive read correct oil changes critical on that engine- sludging issues) perhaps add lpg to help running costs.

Just a couple of minor points.

I read more about problems with Hybrids in these pages, than with the V6.

I think I am correct in saying, the 2.4 timing is chain driven. The 3 litre V6 is belt, the 3.5 litre V6 is chain.

These comments may, or may not, help with your decision process.