Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Automatic levelling headlights - warning light still on

Hi all,

2005 Series 10 2.4L - headlight levelling warning light is coming on after I drive about 100 metres and stays on, it doesn’t come on when I turn the engine on and before I move off.  I’ve replaced the levelling sensor and the adjustable levelling bar behind the rear offside wheel but the warning light still comes on. When I turn the lights on I can see the beams moving into position so hopefully that means the motors behind the lights are ok.

is there an ECU or system reset that needs to be done? My Alphard doesn’t have AFS just headlight levelling.

No idea what to try next…Any suggestions welcome !

Edited by Trev87
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Trev87 said:

Hi all,

2005 Series 10 2.4L - headlight levelling warning light is coming on after I drive about 100 metres and stays on, it doesn’t come on when I turn the engine on and before I move off.  I’ve replaced the levelling sensor and the adjustable levelling bar behind the rear offside wheel but the warning light still comes on. When I turn the lights on I can see the beams moving into position so hopefully that means the motors behind the lights are ok.

is there an ECU or system reset that needs to be done? My Alphard doesn’t have AFS just headlight levelling.

No idea what to try next…Any suggestions welcome !

Hello Trevor,

Welcome to the Forum.

My AFS light flashes but it's intermittent. Ever since I had a slight bump to the rear bumper. It kindly stayed off for the MOT last week. I'd like to check out the sensor/levelling bar and keen to know where you sourced them please, Trev.

Yes, I got a levelling bar from eBay and a new sensor from D2P and installed those, thinking that would fix it but the light keeps coming on. Strange thing is that when I turn the engine on the light does not show and it’s not until I drive about 50-100 metres that it comes on and stays on.

Do I need to get an OBD connector/reader to clear the fault or is it a sign that something else has gone wrong?

Levelling bar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112241843105?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cIQwD279Q8a&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

sensor: D2P 89405-48020 Headlight Level Adjuster Sensor Replacement For Lexus RX IS LX, Mazda RX-8 Toyota Prius https://amzn.eu/d/4Tj8nzw

Edited by Trev87
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Alphard ah10 has now been in the garage to investigate the headlight levelling warning light and they are saying it is now an ABS faulty and someone has previously removed the ABS warning bulb from the dashboard…

does anyone have any ideas if this is likely? Or do I need to get them to try and trace the fault somehow? No idea where this is going to lead to but any advice would be welcome from everyone!

• Like 1

Have replaced the sensor and the link but still showing the warning light but it only comes on once I’ve driven more than 100 metres. Garage says the diagnostics indicate an abs fault and have replaced one of the sensor parts but that’s not fixed it. Not sure what’s going to come up next or whether it’s a wiring or connection problem but as it only happens after moving I think it could be another sensor. Help !

• Like 1