Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Dead startup battery

3 hours ago, Patricia Ingram said:

Is it ok to start an Alphard hybrid with jump leads?

Hello Patricia,

According to the internet, yes you can.

I don't have a hybrid; so the only recommendation I can make is to read the internet thoroughly.

I assume, all the usual precautions should be taken.

• 1 month later...

Hi can anyone help ? , my 2003 2.4 alphard keeps draining the battery when left over night , its a new ish battery , its not a hybrid thanks Rich

On 3/20/2024 at 7:27 PM, Richyrich said:

Hi can anyone help ? , my 2003 2.4 alphard keeps draining the battery when left over night , its a new ish battery , its not a hybrid thanks Rich

You say newish but how long is that?

Is this a camper conversion with leisure battery and split charge relay?

Anyway, to eliminate the battery as the cause disconnect the earth over night after driving for 20 mins or so. Reconnect in the morning. Check that the battery starts the van.

Next, leave the battery connected after charging and remove engine bay fuses. One per evening to see when the problem stops.

Ive charged it up , and disconnected for time being, if i dont sell it next week i will try what you said and get it fixed before selling privately thanks 

Any Halfords or Kwik Fit can test your battery (for free); but it needs to be tested under a heavy load.

Should you need a new one you don't have to buy from them.

What capacity is your current battery ?

A/hr and CCA ?

4 minutes ago, Richyrich said:

Hi its a 45ah 330cca , i disconnected. It last night and it was at 12.3v this morning thanks 

But what was it when you disconnected it.

In my location it was very cold last night. Cold nights are battery killers.

Apart from getting the battery tested, my advice would be to get a smart charger (whether you need anew battery or not

Not cheap, but, imho, very worthwhile.

Some Alphies need a fully charged battery to power all the fancy electrics.

Do you run your van daily ?

What model do you have ?

You certainly don't have a 2004 Alphard 350 !

It drains overnight if left connected , ive disconnected the wire to the conversion but it still drains but slower, if just for the engine, its a 2003 2.4 auto , batterys a few months old and always comes back up quickly when charging

maybe your initial action could be to fit a battery isolation switch.

Hefty things but designed for the job.

As Geralt says, removing fuses, one by one, is another approach.

Tedious, to say the least, and not easy to do as some of the fuses are difficult to remove and difficult to replace.

Have you had the van long? Has the problem just occurred ?

A recent conversion ?

Check your mood lighting.

It is difficult to see during the day if inadvertently left on.

Other than that, do you have any aftermarket goodies fitted ?

A non standard headunit ?

You seem to have some current drain that is not wired through the ignition ?

Hi its an aw conversion, it been fine since august and family owned it before and was fine , it was about january it started for no reason, it was used daily at the time , so put a brand battery on a simple fix and it lasted a week 

3 hours ago, Richyrich said:

Hi its an aw conversion, it been fine since august and family owned it before and was fine , it was about january it started for no reason, it was used daily at the time , so put a brand battery on a simple fix and it lasted a week 

Is it possible to take it to AW, for their opinion ?

Thanks so much , i am going to sell it to a trader thursday who offered me  £10,500 bit of a bargain getting as it owes me £17k but i need the space , but if it doesnt go i will try what you said 

On 3/20/2024 at 7:27 PM, Richyrich said:

Hi Rich 2006 2.4 Alphard

I had the same problem although it took longer than one day to go flat but I solved the problem with a Battery Master 3 connections and its done but not cheap,

I have a solar panel charging the leisure battery but my vehicle battery was going flat, the Battery Master has 3 connections Live to the Leisuer Battery second live to the vehicle Battery and netural to earth now all batteries are fully charged all the time, no long runs of cable as I was expecting to do.

This Kit is Fantastic, time to fit 10 mins YOU DONT NEED A SOLAR PANEL do an internet search.

• Like 1