Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Heater not working

8 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

The fan works, but the heater does not work, any suggestions gratefully received, fuse maybe ? and where is it.

As far as I can tell there is no fuse for the heater.

There is fuse for the air conditioner.

Fuse17, 10A, in the fuse box in the passenger footwell.

It's a pig to get to even after you have removed the glove box.

Some members have had trouble with the heater circuit flap valve.

Search this forum, it is covered somewhere !

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

I managed to remove the bottom glove box, front passenger side, but could not see a fuse box. Does one have to remove the cover over the left wheel arch too ?

No, you don't.

You will almost certainly need a mirror, and ,most likely, the box will be obscured by cabling.

I think you will also find, should you need a replacement fuse, they are micro-fuses, just to make life even easier !

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Michael Brown said:

Just having to wear more jumpers wile driving till I do. I have watched a Utube clip showing the fuse box. All I can find is a lot of padding and a mass of cables

Sounds like you are almost there !

Look carefully behind all those cables !

Thank you Roger, but I am absolutely stumped. Maybe its a different place on the hybrid. I took off the cover on the wheel arch and it shows  a diagram of what it looks like. I read somewhere its near front passenger seat ? I have had 3 attempts to find the fuse bank, its not there?

1 hour ago, Michael Brown said:

Thank you Roger, but I am absolutely stumped. Maybe its a different place on the hybrid. I took off the cover on the wheel arch and it shows  a diagram of what it looks like. I read somewhere its near front passenger seat ? I have had 3 attempts to find the fuse bank, its not there?

It  may be in a different place in the Hybrid cars; I wouldn't know.

In my Owners Manual, which does cover Hybrids, there is no mention of the box being elsewhere.

Fuse box "in the cabin, by the passengers seat".

Have you removed the glove box door, and the glove box ?

You will need to !

I doubt it is the fuse.

The A/C fuse also seems to protect the Audio.

Does your audio work OK ?

Are you sure the flap valve is working ?

I have read that the servo motor that operates the flap can stop working, but that putting the temperature up above 28C makes the flap move. Probably worth a go if you haven't tried full heat already. 

Heaters now working, I was looking at a similiar thread to mine here, that by taking off the radiator caps, starting the engine, then topping up with water with an antifreeze solution in, one could just wait for the air bubbles to come out. It took a little time, but a lot of air bubbles came out. I was shocked that I put in 2 Litres of fluid in. When the bubbles stopped I put the radiator caps back on and after the engine warmed up I tried the heater and lovely war air came through, Magic.

Thank you Richard, Roger and others for your help, This forum is a mind of information.

9 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

Heaters now working, I was looking at a similiar thread to mine here, that by taking off the radiator caps, starting the engine, then topping up with water with an antifreeze solution in, one could just wait for the air bubbles to come out. It took a little time, but a lot of air bubbles came out. I was shocked that I put in 2 Litres of fluid in. When the bubbles stopped I put the radiator caps back on and after the engine warmed up I tried the heater and lovely war air came through, Magic.

Thank you Richard, Roger and others for your help, This forum is a mind of information.

So it 'just' needed bleeding !

The lesson here is for us all not to allow the ater level to get low so that air cannot get to places it shouldn't be !

So glad you sorted it, and thanks go to whoever's thread you read that took you in the correct direction.

I'm glad you're back up and running, but I would be concerned about needing to top up your coolant with 2 litres 😳. Coolant generally doesn't require much in the way of top ups if the system is properly sealed, so I'd keep a close eye on that level and if it is noticeably dropping over the next month or so it will need further investigation before you find yourself with a hefty unexpected or avoidable repair. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 11:34 PM, Michael Brown said:

Hi Michael,  what thread is this one? I have the same issue!

13 hours ago, Sorin said:

Hi Michael,  what thread is this one? I have the same issue!

I apologise for that, I can't remember where I found the direct info you want, as when

I was looking for a solution I stumbled on someone who said by removing the radiator caps and running the engine till the air bubble stopped rising and topping the radiator up with water solution it would fix the problem and it did, a lot easier than trying to get to the heater fuse location.  I check the radiator more often now

7 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

I apologise for that, I can't remember where I found the direct info you want, as when

I was looking for a solution I stumbled on someone who said by removing the radiator caps and running the engine till the air bubble stopped rising and topping the radiator up with water solution it would fix the problem and it did, a lot easier than trying to get to the heater fuse location.  I check the radiator more often now

I cannot find the radiator caps. Based on the fact the the coolant tank is higher than the radiator and the bubbles will get in the tank eventually, I tried the same thing and still cannot see any results until I raise the temperature above 28 celcius

Just now, Sorin said:

I cannot find the radiator caps. Based on the fact the the coolant tank is higher than the radiator and the bubbles will get in the tank eventually, I tried the same thing and still cannot see any results until I raise the temperature above 28 celcius

I need to find those caps!

What coolant are you using guys? The pink one? I might just used the green one, is this bad for the cooling system?

On 3/31/2024 at 9:39 AM, Sorin said:

Are you saying that you get no heat out of the vents unless you put the temp above 28? If so, that sounda like a problem with your flap actuator not operating correctly and not a coolant issue. 

8 minutes ago, smurf said:

Are you saying that you get no heat out of the vents unless you put the temp above 28? If so, that sounda like a problem with your flap actuator not operating correctly and not a coolant issue. 

Flap actuator? Where is it? What is usually the solution ?