Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Yeah quite a few places offer maps for them, even the 1st gen.

I can only assume the factory mapping is quite tame, and being a relatively large capacity 4 cylinder there's a bit of room for improvement.  I wouldn't be surprised if it involves increasing the factory 6250rpm rev limit and tuning it to make a few more ponies at the top end.

This one reckons c. 179hp can be made.....given the engine is probably the same as the 2nd gen bar software it wouldn't surprise me TBH.

https://puretuning.net/en/chiptuning-files/toyota/alphard/2-4i-160hp

I think the 2.4 gets a bit of flack for being underpowered, but honestly even stock I'm rather impressed with how well it hauls a vehicle the size of an Alphard around.  It's also noticeably more perky when run on high octane fuel.  Certainly it's not as effortless or relaxed as the V6 (nor sounds as good) but if you rev it out and are prepared to use the manual gears (will let you hit the rev limit then) for a minivan they tear along quite nicely I think 👍

In the US there is a bit of a following for turbocharging these motors in Camry's, where they then easily make late 200 bhps on very modest boost.  I did watch a video of some guys in Australia that also eBay turbo'd a cheap Camry they bought and with next to no playing around (I think it may have had a standalone ECU being the only thing....£££££) it made about 260 brake.

I'll be honest, if someone in the UK put together a decent, reliable kit for it and I had the funds, I would probably consider it for a laugh!

Yeah, the wife's 2.4 is about to become my daily and although I know it drives pretty well, I'd prefer a bit more poke and I don't really want to chop it in for a v6 just yet.

The gearbox seems to make a decent stab of giving the feel or a reasonable amount of torque in the low end, but a touch more wouldn't hurt.

Celtic appear to offer a map for the 2az in the Alphard, I have emailed an enquiry, I'll see what they come back with.

• Like 1

Ah of course the 2nd gens a CVT right?

Funny the 4 speed in the Mk1 isn't too bad TBH, because they have good torque for a 4 cylinder NA despite the pretty wide ratios it does pull them pretty well.  Also it's rear converted with a pop top, probably not much change out of 2 ton lol

• 2 weeks later...

Got the map done yesterday via a local outfit. Initially pleased with it, feels more Torquey and appears to cruise at 70 mph at a few hundred less rpm. Better pick up and the gearbox is making less fuss.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big_boz said:

Got the map done yesterday via a local outfit. Initially pleased with it, feels more Torquey and appears to cruise at 70 mph at a few hundred less rpm. Better pick up and the gearbox is making less fuss.

Where you get it done in the end big_boz?

So the local firm to me (in Leeds) is called matrix remaps. They use software from a bigger outfit called elite remaps (also in Leeds) appears to be a franchise based set up if I were guessing. 

Not used before but all my usual go to's couldn't source the map.

Very professional service, guy had all the gear including the battery stabilizer (seen COVID fly by night mappers bricking ECUs not doing this). Had to come and scan the car to get the ECU info, found the correct map then came back the following day to upload.

Drove it around quite a bit yesterday and I would certainly say it drives better, gearbox is definitely not hunting up the range quite so much on hills and it feels more relaxed. Can't immediately get a read on fuel consumption but it looks about the same at c.6 miles per litre (c.29 mpg) on the dash local running about. Be interesting to see what it does on a fully loaded run, it would be nearer 7 miles per litre (call it 32mpg) pre map, if it goes over 7 il be a happy bunny.

• Like 1

You might do already chap, but if not definitely give 99ron a go.  Found my 2.4 drives quite a bit better on it, top end performance when revved is definitely improved too.  Probably all the better on yours now!! 👍

Edited by pipsyp

4 hours ago, pipsyp said:

You might do already chap, but if not definitely give 99ron a go.  Found my 2.4 drives quite a bit better on it, top end performance when revved is definitely improved too.  Probably all the better on yours now!! 👍

Only ever run it on super, gives me a reason to go to Costco to fill up...on fuel and pizza 😂

• Haha 1