Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hi, 

There will be a 4 week window from the arrival of my 2009 alphard 3.5 awd.

I'd like to give it a really good service and get any known issues checked and replace and high wear and tear items.

If owners or experts can please give me any advice and information on items that wear out quickly or a prone to failure. 

I have heard axle bushes are a common failure item.

Anything else that deserves attention?

Any guidance and advice is greatly appreciated!!

Hi Harley,

Have you identified who will maintain your new vehicle ?

In the UK it is not always easy to find mechanics willing and able to do the work competently.

So, initially, I would focus on Who, rather than What, and Where you (or they) will source the parts.

In the UK most official Toyota Dealers will not work on grey imports.

Hopefully, that is not the case in Canada.

Hi rojie,

Yes i have a mechanic who works on alphards. Just wanted to get an insight of some commin issues to make sure I prompt the mechanic to check and/or replace certain parts.

Many of the parts are actually available from a couple local model Toyota vehicles (sienna etc)

Thanks

Just about anything could go wrong as by the time they leave the roads of Japan, they will have had a life. You may just be lucky and get a few years use from it before anything could go wrong. They are lovely comfortable vehicles to drive and fitted out well. So good luck and fingers crossed, you get a good one.

Thanks. I've owned a delica and fully aware that things do and will go wrong. It's a 4.5B auction rating with 78,000km. So hopefully it is a good car, but as always things get missed and things can and do go wrong.

But can anyone please answer my original question?

What are the common problems or items that need attention regularly. It's easier to get them addressed before I pick up the car. Rather than having to take the car to the mechanic 2 hours away and be stuck without a car for days. 

I'm all about preventative maintenance, I do not wait until something fails and then do something about it.

So again, anyone here have any advice on common mechanical/suspension/driveline issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Picasso said:

Steering colum uj joint play in steering 

Thanks! I'll mention it to the mechanic to check out

5 hours ago, harley said:

Thanks! I'll mention it to the mechanic to check out

In the UK you can have you vehicle inspected by Motoring Organisations, there is a fee of course.

Alternately, there is the Ministry of Transport roadworthiness test.

Although not available to you; I expect there is some similar opportunities in Canada.

Your vehicle is unlikely to be undersealed for use in Japan.

In my opinion, undersealing is essential.

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

In the UK you can have you vehicle inspected by Motoring Organisations, there is a fee of course.

Alternately, there is the Ministry of Transport roadworthiness test.

Although not available to you; I expect there is some similar opportunities in Canada.

Your vehicle is unlikely to be undersealed for use in Japan.

In my opinion, undersealing is essential.

How do you achieve this undersealing? Is it a sprayed layer or what is it?

2 hours ago, Sorin said:

How do you achieve this undersealing? Is it a sprayed layer or what is it?

Could you please edit your location to enable local members to assist you.

Undersealing can be painted or sprayed. It is usually black. It can be a messy diy job.

Many imported Alphies are not undersealed at the factory.

So it is worth checking.

Undersealing may be standard on later models; it certainly wasn't on Gen 1 models.

5 hours ago, Rojie said:

Could you please edit your location to enable local members to assist you.

Undersealing can be painted or sprayed. It is usually black. It can be a messy diy job.

Many imported Alphies are not undersealed at the factory.

So it is worth checking.

Undersealing may be standard on later models; it certainly wasn't on Gen 1 models.

Thank you, I have updated my location! I will try to see if I can identify myself it it has undersealing. Or maybe someone from my area can recommend a garage that are dealing with import cars!

11 hours ago, Sorin said:

Thank you, I have updated my location! I will try to see if I can identify myself it it has undersealing. Or maybe someone from my area can recommend a garage that are dealing with import cars!

It should be obvious if it is undersealed, or not.

• Thanks 1